THE FUTURE OF INDIAN CRICKET 20 YEARS FROM NOW IN THE 2040s.

Aside from Kohli still wanting to captain the team at the age of 54, I was thinking about this other day.

With the size of the population of India, the amount of money in the game and the dramatic changes in cricket in the last 20 years and especially over the last 5 years, I do think India will eventually one day field two teams in International T20 cricket

If India can field two strong T20 international teams, I cant see why this will not happen. Its not about India being the best or winning multiple world cups or even winning one of them, but about India having the ability to field 2 teams that can and would compete well.

India dont need to win world cups in T20 to do this and if anything this will be great for Indian cricket development overall.

As good and as strong Australia were at their peak even they did field two international ODI sides in the 90s with England as the third team. What was funny was that England didnt make the Finals of that tournament.

From a commercial and marketing perspective it makes absolute sense. There is so much money to be made by the BCCI here.

India could easily play T20I tournaments in two different countries at the same time. Imagine being able to watch team India play T20I multiple days in a row and the amount of advertising and sponsorship dollars out there.

In my opinion this is going to happen and I am surprised it hasnt been raised or discussed before.

It woulndt surprise me if this happened earlier. Just remember how much Indian cricket has changed since T20. Its not stretch of imagination to think this could happen 5-10 years from now either.

Just now, goose said:

horrendous. the day India fields two sides will be a dark day for the the sport. the lack of humility here is astounding.

Rubbish. Its an ignorant comment on your part without exploring the reasons why. I can appreciate being a very older person here why you would this.

Its not about humility its about being able to improve the quality and standard of international cricket and producing a product worldwide.

A Billion people produce one team of 11 players in one country. In another like NZ which is just 5 million easily produces 11 players.

With the amount of cricket played in various formats it makes also total sense to spread the load.

Just now, SRT100 said:

Rubbish. Its an ignorant comment on your part without exploring the reasons why. I can appreciate being a very older person here why you would this.

Its not about humility its about being able to improve the quality and standard of international cricket and producing a product worldwide.

A Billion people produce one team of 11 players in one country. In another like NZ which is just 5 million easily produces 11 players.

With the amount of cricket played in various formats it makes also total sense to spread the load.

billion people but billion people dont play cricket. average indian cant afford to play first class cricket. 

new zealanders can afford to do so. 

huge population with limited resources is worse than small population with huge resources. India is doing very well for itself. 

1 minute ago, Jay said:

indian second string team seem better and more potent than india first 11 as witnessed vs australia down under. They dint know what hit them. even bowling has some quality depth in fast bowling. just need opportunities. 

I agree.

However my reason is not because out of arrogance or confidence, it just makes absolute marketing sense to field two India teams.

Any guy here under 30 years of age can see this, Im sure. You need to have the foresight. Much like how the IPL was developed.

I think the T20I will become like a proper tournament  all year round with finals.

1 minute ago, Vilander said:

India should disband national team and go for around 6 to 8 region based teams. National team should be considered only for world cup that too of the field is strong enough. So that the game can be competitive at international level. Or india can look at other sports all 1 billion interested in one sport is.. well unhealthy. 

One sport is unhealthy. Agree.

It would shock people in here, that people in Australia dont care much for cricket outside the summer for about 3 months only.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

billion people but billion people dont play cricket. average indian cant afford to play first class cricket. 

huge population with limited resources is worse than small population with huge resources. India is doing very well for itself. 

With time and the improvement of IPL, India will be able to field comfortably two international sides easily.

5 minutes ago, SRT100 said:

how does India fielding two sides improve international cricket? just who do you think you are? your whole post has the stench of money and power.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

The other issue with your argument is that in NZ not even 5 million play cricket. Most of them play Rugby so your point is moot.

There is easily 100 million kids that play cricket?

Just now, goose said:

how does India fielding two sides improve international cricket? just who do you think you are? your whole post has the stench of money and power.

Gosh you lack the wisdom to think of the benefit that has to the country and globally speaking.

Its because India is a powerhouse that IPL is so successful. There is only ONE sport in India. Cricket. This makes sense.

More jobs for people, more money for those wanting to get into and be part of the game, there is multiple benefits of this.

Sorry I am educated, I guess thats my fault.

nobody would have imagined before IPL that there could be a domestic league where the earnings would be 10x, 20x your national contract... virtual unknowns like Kylie Jamieson / Tymal Mills/ Pawan Negis could earn millions ..  FTPs adjusted n windows created for it.. we dont know what future holds for us

6 minutes ago, SRT100 said:

People laughed at pajama cricket, the orignal ODI cricket then they laughed at T20 cricket and sure some had doubts about even IPL.

Two international Indian T20 sides will be a reality one day.

why two? why not five or ten sides? then you can just play endlessly with yourself. a bit like you in this thread

In another 20 years, with Indian economy being 8-10X of where we are today (25-30 trillion dollars) and a $16-18k per capita income, I hope we would have pivoted from being a cricket crazy nation to a complete multi-sports nation and start to feature in the top 10-15 in Olympics medals tally.

The change has begun in last 7-8 years but has been very slow. Will pick up pace as we get prosperous and grassroots programs get more funding.

2 minutes ago, Vk1 said:

nobody would have imagined before IPL that there could be a domestic league where the earnings would be 10x, 20x your national contract... virtual unknowns like Kylie Jamieson / Tymal Mills/ Pawan Negis could earn millions ..  FTPs adjusted n windows created for it.. we dont know what future holds for us

Exactly the point I am making. Thank you for your insightful comment.

If there is the opportunity for many more Indians to develop and earn well, why shouldnt the BCCI explore two Indian International teams for T20.

50 years ago. NOT a single person could envisage what cricket in 2021 would be like. Its not a stretch to think India could field 2 T20I teams.

1 minute ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

In another 20 years, with Indian economy being 8-10X of where we are today (25-30 trillion dollars) and a $16-18k per capita income, I hope we would have pivoted from being a cricket crazy nation to a complete multi-sports nation and start to feature in the top 10-15 in Olympics medals tally.

The change has begun in last 7-8 years but has been very slow. Will pick up pace as we get prosperous and grassroots programs get more funding.

Correct. The more money at the grass roots the more cricketers the bigger the pool of players available to potentially play for India.

6 minutes ago, goose said:

why two? why not five or ten sides? then you can just play endlessly with yourself. a bit like you in this thread

Go lay down your head old man, this discussion is not meant for you.

Im sure the days of Gavaskar are your best moments of cricket viewing lol.