" Seniority " over " Current Ability ", as the main selection criterion, is preventing Team India from realizing its true potential

4 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Bumrah is around 5'11" and Shami and Bhuvi are 5'9".

So for the WC, who would you go with?

For me, India must take the best 5 bowlers, if anything has shown over the years, a bowler that can bat, almost rarely ever does anything of significance to win a match. This is assuming of course we pick the 5 best batsmen and wicket keeper.

Im ok with taking Pandya and Sundar as bowlers, so we have that "luxury" if we need them. Their bowling alone is decent enough to warrant a place in the side.

12 minutes ago, SRT100 said:

So for the WC, who would you go with?

For me, India must take the best 5 bowlers, if anything has shown over the years, a bowler that can bat, almost rarely ever does anything of significance to win a match. This is assuming of course we pick the 5 best batsmen and wicket keeper.

Im ok with taking Pandya and Sundar as bowlers, so we have that "luxury" if we need them. Their bowling alone is decent enough to warrant a place in the side.

I agree strongly.

To win consistently, we need batters who can bat and bowlers who can bowl. And we must

choose our best 5 batters and best 4 bowlers. Only 2 spots can go to hybrid players. 

These bits snd pieces players hardly win any matches.

Washington can give us 10 good overs. So he can play as a pure bowler and his batting is an added plus. 

Hardik makes it as my No.6 and Jadeja post 2020 can play as a pure top 6 batter too.  So, these are my 3 picks for thd allrounder's slots.

1. Gill

2. Rohit ( as he is the captain and can't be removed  )

3. Kohli ( as he is a auperstar and won't be removed )

4. Shreyas / SKY

5. Pant / Samson 

6. Hardik

7. Jadeja / Shahbaz 

8. Washington 

9. Bumrah

10. Umran / Sen / Kuldeep Yadav 

11. Siraj / Prasidh 

....  6 bowling options

....  4 solid bowlers 

.... Washington at 8 really strengthens snd deepens the batting without diluting the bowling 

.... We can play either a quick or a spinner at 10 based on the pitch. 

.... Bumrah and Siraj can bowl in all phases and Umran / Sen will soften batters with raw pace 

50 minutes ago, express bowling said:

I agree strongly.

To win consistently, we need batters who can bat and bowlers who can bowl. And we must

choose our best 5 batters and best 4 bowlers. Only 2 spots can go to hybrid players. 

Washington can give us 10 good overs. So he can play as a pure bowler and his batting is an added plus. 

Hardik makes it as my No.6 and Jadeja post 2020 can play as a pure top 6 batter too.  So, these are my 3 picks for thd allrounder's slots.

1. Gill

4. Shreyas / SKY

5. Pant / Samson 

6. Hardik

7. Jadeja / Shahbaz 

8. Washington 

9. Bumrah

11. Siraj / Prasidh 

....  6 bowling options

....  4 solid bowlers 

.... Washington at 8 really strengthens snd deepens the batting without diluting the bowling 

.... Bumrah and Siraj can bowl in all phases and Umran / Sen will soften batters with raw pace 

Yes, this is the team that is almost perfect considering all available resources.

Washington at 8  will give us all immense confidence. 

Problem is that even if one of Jadeja/Pandya/Washington get injured, we will be back with pseudo allrounders like Axar, Shardul or Chahar and they are not good enough as batsman.

11 minutes ago, deepdynamo said:

Yes, this is the team that is almost perfect considering all available resources.

Washington at 8  will give us all immense confidence. 

Problem is that even if one of Jadeja/Pandya/Washington get injured, we will be back with pseudo allrounders like Axar, Shardul or Chahar and they are not good enough as batsman.

We have to keep Shahbaz Ahmed as the replacement for Hardik, Jadeja or Washington ... as he is a good enough batsman who can give full 10 overs too. 

If Hardik is injured then Jadeja at 6 Washington at 7 and Shahbaz at 8 can still be ok. And 3 proper quicks after that.

18 minutes ago, express bowling said:

We have to keep Shahbaz Ahmed as the replacement for Hardik, Jadeja or Washington ... as he is a good enough batsman who can give full 10 overs too. 

If Hardik is injured then Jadeja at 6 Washington at 7 and Shahbaz at 8 can still be ok. And 3 proper quicks after that.

Shahbaz Ahmed must get game time then but TM will prefer Axar over him which is dumb.

1 hour ago, express bowling said:

I agree strongly.

1. Gill

4. Shreyas / SKY

5. Pant / Samson 

6. Hardik

7. Jadeja / Shahbaz 

8. Washington 

9. Bumrah

11. Siraj / Prasidh 

....  6 bowling options

....  4 solid bowlers 

This is perfection when you consider all the variables at play and all the constraints involved in picking the XI.

Its a risky strategy to go with just 5 bowlers, but accommodating both Shreyas and Iyer makes India batting wise almost bulletproof on Indian wickets.

I do agree 6 is the way to go for the number of bowlers needed. The fact no one can bowl from 1 to 5 is so bloody frustrating. Even a couple of overs would have been handy.

All the bowlers you selected can represent India for their bowling alone, the fact that Jaddu and Sundar can genuinely bat and win games adds a lot of depth. In this case its irrelevant 9,10 and 11 cant bat at all.  Its been almost the case for entire history of Indian Cricket. 9,10 and 11 if required will almost likely never win us games and its the batsmen fault in any case.

29 minutes ago, deepdynamo said:

Shahbaz Ahmed must get game time then but TM will prefer Axar over him which is dumb.

Shahbaz has a batting average of 44 in List A and 42 in FC.  And has a bowling average of 19 in FC and 35 in List A with 38 wickets from 36 matches.  

A solid batting allrounder and must be played in low profile matches.

Edited by express bowling
1 hour ago, express bowling said:

I agree strongly.

1. Gill

4. Shreyas / SKY

5. Pant / Samson 

6. Hardik

7. Jadeja / Shahbaz 

8. Washington 

9. Bumrah

11. Siraj / Prasidh 

....  6 bowling options

....  4 solid bowlers 

Seriously your playing XI should be tweeted to people across all of India.

8 hours ago, Suhaan said:

Prasad will be abandoned by BCCI for rest of his life for this

"We must praise Seniors in open no matter what",first line in BCCI constitution

Would love to hear from retired players that the BCCI cannot touch in regards the current predicament of Indian Cricket.

They need to have a voice.

16 hours ago, Suhaan said:

Prasad will be abandoned by BCCI for rest of his life for this

"We must praise Seniors in open no matter what",first line in BCCI constitution

Sometimes these types of statements are endorsed by the BCCI when they want to remove big guys at the helm.

First a group of ex-players start speaking out against the big names. This is usually in line with the public opinion which is further stoked. Then the axe falls on the big guys.

Happened with Dhoni and especially Kohli too.

These statements maybe precursors to their removal in the next 3 to 12 months.

1 hour ago, Lord said:

He also questioned our approach recently

Its so strange this bat slowly and take it deep approach by India.

Since the 90s we have had SRT and Ganguly then Sehwag aggressively in those days go after the opening bowlers.

That mindset has changed so much now. Its go tuk tuk for the first 15-20 overs.

I blame Dhoni for the bat slowly take it deep approach.