Vikram - Kamal Hassan+ Fahaad Faasil + Vijay sethupathi

Ankit_sharma03

2 minutes ago, I6MTW said:

Rajinikanth faltered during the 90s. Chiranjeevi during the early 00s. 

Nagarjuna was decent. Still is, I think.

Choosing the right roles is the key. His image changed over a period. He reached the pinnacle in Baasha.  Never managed to reach that level (although Chandramukhi ran for one year). 

3 minutes ago, maniac said:

Lol Nagarjuna is a terrible actor. However has a great acumen on backing exciting talent or trying new things

I always thought Najarjuna was decent. He has acted in several different roles, so he always tries different things, as a student turned don in Shiva, as Saint Annamacharya, as a handicapped guy in Oopiri/Thozha, as a counter-terrorist cop in Mad Dog, Gaganam, etc

Edited by I6MTW

Just now, I6MTW said:

I always thought Najarjuna was decent. He has acted in several different roles, so he always tries different things, as Saint Annamacharya, as a handicapped guy in Oopiri/Thozha, as a counter-terrorist cop in Mad Dog, Gaganam, etc

he is a very influential guy and comes from a film family so he can handpick what he can right from his early days but even there the roles are written to match his limitations. A better actor would have done more for those roles.

Kind of like Saif Ali Khan who kept getting tailor made roles because of who he is and not because people were seeking him

out and now eventually he has reached that stage.

Kind of like some talents in cricket  who keep getting backed till they improve and some who fade out because they don’t get that extra cushion but then there are some like Setupathi,Nawazuddin who you just can’t miss.

Just now, maniac said:

he is a very influential guy and comes from a film family so he can handpick what he can right from his early days but even there the roles are written to match his limitations. A better actor would have done more for those roles.

Kind of like Saif Ali Khan who kept getting tailor made roles because of who he is and not because people were seeking him

out and now eventually he has reached that stage.

Kind of like some talents in cricket  who keep getting backed till they improve and some who fade out because they don’t get that extra cushion but then there are some like Setupathi,Nawazuddin who you just can’t miss.

Like Vijay except he never improved lol

3 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Venkatesh is better right? I saw some Narappa trailer. Looks like this probably will be best movie of his career.

Yes. Another guy who has the luxury of improving because of his family but yes better than Nagarjuna as an actor, apples to apples.

18 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Another director who went down the hill since Kannathil Muttamittal (still tearful whenever I see this movie). I don’t look forward or have stopped watching his movies, hyped up star director. 

Is there any news on a sequel to Vikram Vedha ? That is one movie I would go for.

I saw Raavan, WTF was that?  Since then never watched a Mani Ratnam film. 

17 hours ago, maniac said:

She might have seen Indian (Hindustani) ,Dasavatharam etc and Sagar probably. Even though Kamal was amazing in it he did get matched or even outperformed  by Rishi Kapoor in some scenes.

Yes, I've seen these. And 'ek duje ke liye'.

Is Kamal a great actor? Yes.

Top 3 in the country? Not by my understanding of cinema/acting.

In Sadma, I thought he was bested by Sridevi. She was a far more impactful performer in that movie.

Edited by Mariyam

3 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Yes, I've seen these. And 'ek duje ke liye'.

Is Kamal a great actor? Yes.

Top 3 in the country? Not by my understanding of cinema/acting.

In Sadma, I thought he was bested by Sridevi. She was a far more impactful performer in that movie.

Correct and those are not the movies to form an opinion on Kamal. You probably haven’t seen some of the movies mentioned in this discussion.

Also yes Sadma was Sridevi show but that’s exactly the point I was making because the role required Kamal to underplay throughout till the climax and that’s why the last scene left so much impact. Look at Sridevi in the last scene she just has to look nonchalant. If someone only looks at the last scene in isolation, one would think what’s the big deal with her role.

No one has done more experimental

roles and took more risks than Kamal Hassan. No one. Playing a dwarf, perfect potrayal of an autistic man, a drunk classical dancer (even classical dancers praised his perfection), a village idiot (he wore a langot throughout), a psycho killer  and various such roles. Can you think of another mainstream actor taking such risks?

Edited by maniac

12 minutes ago, maniac said:

No one has done more experimental

roles and took more risks than Kamal Hassan. No one. Playing a dwarf, perfect potrayal of an autistic man, a drunk classical dancer (even classical dancers praised his perfection), a village idiot (he wore a langot throughout), a psycho killer  and various such roles. Can you think of another mainstream actor taking such risks?

Note that doing different types of roles and being among the top 3 actors in Ind are two different things. 

Many of the films have been spoiled by Kamal’s choices whether acting or roles. In Vishwaroopam for e.g his role and acting as a dancer/dance teacher/whatever made the film relatively boring.

Edited by zen

4 minutes ago, zen said:

Note that doing different types of roles and being among the top 3 actors in Ind are two different things. 

Many of the films have been spoiled by Kamal’s choices whether acting or roles. In Vishwaroopam for e.g his role and acting as a dancer/dance teacher/whatever made the film relatively boring.

Those are his later works. If you are film buff watch sagara sangamam. That’s one of the greatest performances of all time. I myself haven’t seen Viswaroopam and just like Mani Ratnam after a while they got self indigent. I hated Dasavatharam too but then again not too many can pull

off those different roles either but it was lame. 

Edited by maniac

Many of the points on this thread are like this:

Kamal Is one of Ind’s top 3 actors

Someone says if that is the case, it is a low standard. Someone talks about overacting 

I post an example of his overacting 

A bunch of posters start posting “Kamal is one of the best actors” (as if anyone is saying “No”, key point is on top 3 actors and his overacting) :lol: 

Edited by zen

1 minute ago, zen said:

Many of the points on this thread are like this:

Kamal Is one of Ind’s top 3 actors

Someone says if that is the case, it is a low standard. Someone talks about overacting 

I post an example of his overacting 

A bunch of posters start posting “Kamal is one of the best actors” (as if anyone is saying “No”, 

It all started because you picked a wrong example to prove your point. Had you picked Dasavatharam or Viswaroopam or even Hindustani etc, don’t think people would have disagreed that he has a tendency to go over the top at times . I myself have said he does.

2 minutes ago, maniac said:

It all started because you picked a wrong example to prove your point. Had you picked Dasavatharam or Viswaroopam or even Hindustani etc, don’t think people would have disagreed that he has a tendency to go over the top at times . I myself have said he does.

What wrong example? :lol: … That is some lame acting and drama as already mentioned 

Just now, zen said:

What wrong example? :lol: … That is some lame acting and drama as already mentioned 

you may be in the minority there but to each his own. Make sure you pick movies and performances that you rate as great carefully in comparison so people take your cinema acumen seriously. Obviously it’s all subjective :winky:

4 minutes ago, maniac said:

you may be in the minority there but to each his own. Make sure you pick movies and performances that you rate as great carefully in comparison so people take your cinema acumen seriously. Obviously it’s all subjective :winky:

I will try to do that but in this case I think that drama including him running through obstacles looks dated :dontknow: 

Edited by zen

1 hour ago, zen said:

I though that was the interesting part of the movie. His transformation in one scene from a weak dancer husband to a RAW agent. One of his best in recent years.