Tokyo 2020 Paralympics: Record 19 medals thus far!!!! Amazing

Arg generally struggles against Ind/Pak, especially in big events. Hope that trend continues. I don't expect us to beat Aus, even a draw there will feel like a victory. Japan we should hammer, against Spain we will be marginal favorites (55-45). Top 2 finish is vital, in 2016 we screwed up by drawing against Canada in the pool stage only to face Belgium in QF. Now that is a side we must not face before SF.

Degree of toughness for us (against likely opponents):

Belgium/Australia 

Netherlands

Germany

NZ/Great Britain

Argentina, Spain

Japan

Edited by Gollum
1 minute ago, Gollum said:

Arg generally struggles against Ind/Pak, especially in big events. Hope that trend continues. I don't expect us to beat Aus, even a draw there will feel like a victory. Japan we should hammer, against Spain we will be marginal favorites. Top 2 finish is vital, in 2016 we screwed up by drawing against Canada in the pool stage only to face Belgium in QF. Now that is a side we must not face before SF.

Degree of toughness for us (against likely opponents):

Belgium/Australia 

Netherlands

Germany

NZ/Great Britain

Argentina, Spain

Japan

Aus Netherlands Germany Belgium are top 4 I guess. In knockouts anything can happen. Though australia conceded 3 goals against Japan so we do have a chance.. my best bet is india finishing 3rd in group and playing no 2 of other group. I remember the canada draw. So many chances missed that day:( in Rio. 

A team like Arg doing well is important for us, we have a mental edge over them but at the same time they are a side that can take out our biggest threats from the other side, they are fearless and can beat Aus/Bel/Neth and clear our path somewhat. 

54 minutes ago, Lord said:

I hope all the medal winners are rewarded handsomely and be taken care of in thier lives.

Have heard stories in past of medal winners struggling to make ends meet.That won't motivate anyone to take up sport.

We focus too much on cricket even at govt level.

back in the 80’s May be. Sindhu and Saina make more than a lot of cricketers too.

7 minutes ago, neel roy said:

Aus Netherlands Germany Belgium are top 4 I guess. In knockouts anything can happen. Though australia conceded 3 goals against Japan so we do have a chance.. my best bet is india finishing 3rd in group and playing no 2 of other group. I remember the canada draw. So many chances missed that day:( in Rio. 

Every Olympics I have followed we have seen at least one stinker like that. Or a flurry of late goals to choke a winning lead. 

Worst was 2000 Sydney where a win against minnow Poland would have meant India in SF. Instead we were held to a frustrating draw missing countless sitters (and conceding last minute goal, the equalizer :wall:). We drew that brilliant Aussie side in their backyard and somehow *ed up so bad against a minnow. 

Edited by Gollum
1 hour ago, Lord said:

I hope all the medal winners are rewarded handsomely and be taken care of in thier lives.

Have heard stories in past of medal winners struggling to make ends meet.That won't motivate anyone to take up sport.

We focus too much on cricket even at govt level.

Far better now. Expecting Chanu to get at least Rs 10 cr, few endorsements (she has better personality than all Bollywood actresses), bungalow, car, other gifts, quick promotion in her govt job etc. 

From the past even GOAT Dhyan Chand wasn't given his due. 

Edited by Gollum
6 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Every Olympics I have followed we have seen at least one stinker like that. Or a flurry of late goals to choke a winning lead. 

Worst was 2000 Sydney where a win against minnow Poland would have meant India in SF. Instead we were held to a frustrating draw missing countless sitters (and conceding last minute goal, the equalizer :wall:). We drew that brilliant Aussies side in their backyard and somehow *ed up so bad against a minnow. 

Yes i think sydney 2000 with dhanraj in prime were our best chance.. india has conceded last minute goals in knock out matches more than any nation. Although must say in last 3 years the trend has subsided..2012 was the most pathetic performance in London. I went to see the match against NZ and India lost that ( glad india could beat NZ finally in any sport today. Bloody bogey team) India bloody lost all 5 matches and coming to London it had beaten most teams. It was a shocker. Sandeep Soorma Singh our primary player and I remember him scoring a goal in that match..

Edited by neel roy
26 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Indian women may lose to the Dutch, but have been impressive. I was expecting a blowout against a much superior outfit. Not watching, just following the updates. 

5-1. Blowout did happen in last quarter 

2 minutes ago, neel roy said:

Yes i think sydney 2000 with dhanraj in prime were our best chance.. india has conceded last minute goals in knock out matches more than any nation. Although must say in last 3 years the trend has subsided..2012 was the most pathetic performance in London. I went to see the match against NZ and India lost that ( glad india could beat NZ finally in any sport today. Bloody bogey team) India bloody lost all 5 matches and coming to London it had beaten most teams. It was a shocker. Sandeep Soorma Singh our primary player and I remember him scoring a goal in that match..

I had zero expectations for London. Even Pak was better than us back then. 

3 minutes ago, neel roy said:

5-1. Blowout did happen in last quarter 

Yeah, sad. But not unexpected, we need to look at incremental improvement in women's side, probably 10 years away (realistically one generation) from being a medal contender. 

Edited by Gollum

Golden runs can happen like Ireland (women) in 2018 WC where they sadly got mauled by the Dutch in the final. But those are so rare.

Happy with our present level, there was a time not long ago when we would get crushed by China and Japan. Now we are their equals.....Europeans, Aus, Arg still far ahead of us. 

Edited by Gollum
2 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Yeah, sad. But not unexpected, we need to look at incremental improvement in women's side, probably 10 years away (realistically one generation) from being a medal contender. 

Most indian players in women are from north east. So I do have hope. They are generally fearless. I think they lost due to their skills. They defended well but after 2-1 they lost their way.. hope they play well in next match. They can still qualify for qtrs. Netherlands will thrash the other teams as well. 

Fitness is a problem for our women, men have improved so much and can hang against the big teams full time. 

Still hockey women players ace their yo-yo, even better than Indian men cricketers. LINK

Just shows how physically demanding the sport of hockey is, then they often play on consecutive days The most unfit field hockey player from top 6 nations will be fitter (talking only about cardio) than the fittest cricketer on the planet. 

Just now, Gollum said:

Fitness is a problem for our women, men have improved so much and can hang against the big teams full time. 

Still hockey women players ace their yo-yo, even better than Indian men cricketers. LINK

Just shows how physically demanding the sport of hockey is, then they often play on consecutive days The most unfit field hockey player from top 6 nations will be fitter (talking only about cardio) than the fittest cricketer on the planet. 

Need this guy as a coach. J/k

spacer.png

10 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Both archery and hockey loss are expected, I saw a mixed tt game as well it was ridiculous the gap in skill poor tall Indian Common wealth champions were doing all and holding getting initial advantage but the little  Taiwanese just steam rolled them after they started the point surge with their top spins its impossible. Its like the Indian players were too tall they needed different tables and the Taiwanese were just the right height.