Speeds of Indian pacers seems to be deteriorating

Mesky99

There is no genuine out and out quick bowler in India right now, none of the Indian pace bowlers currently can sustain 140kph across formats let alone 145kph, shami is not getting any younger, bumrah's workload has to be managed, prasidh not learning quickly enough, the fellow does not have the inner drive to improve, his pace has marginally  slipped down, saini not good enough ATM, don't see ishant lasting to long maybe another 10 test matches, we are basically left with Siraj and tyagi as future all three formats pacers, the rest of the trundlers should not even be considered, any avid Indian domestic cricket watcher here? Kuldeep Sen from mp looks decent, I rate prhtiviraj yarra very highly sadly but there is zero scouting in India, someone like simarjeet singh from Delhi looks like a prospect with some pace, is nathu Singh still around? Overall our backup pace stock is quite under par, selectors will never think out of the box, none from kohli, Rohit watch any domestic cricket so zero chance of a young pacer with pace bowling attributes getting noticed, the same old follow the process criteria, honestly porel is bang dot average, warrier actually can hit decent speeds but again nothing special overall. 

Edited by Mesky99

Since it is a thread about bowling speeds ....

In 2021 ....

Bumrah ....  

Default speed range is 135 k to 146 k in 2021. Has bowled some quicker balls upto 149 kph this year.

Used to touch 150 kph regularly in 2018 and 2019.

Shami ....

Default speed range is 133 k to 143 k in 2021. Has bowled some quicker balls upto 146 kph this year.

Used to regularly bowl upto 146 kph from 2013 to 2020.

Umesh .... 

Default speed range is 133 k to 143 k in 2021. Has bowled some quicker balls upto 146 kph in 2021.

Used to regularly bowl upto 150 kph from 2011 to 2017.

Prasidh .... 

Default speed range is 135 k to 146 k in 2021. 

Used to regularly bowl upto 150 kph in 2018 to 2019.

Saini ....

Default speed range 135 k to 146 k in 2021.

Used to regularly cross 150 kph and go upto 153 kph in earlier years.

Siraj .... 

Default speed range is 130 k to 146 k in 2021. Has bowled some quicker balls upto 148 kph this year.

He is bowling at his usual speeds this year.

Avesh .... 

Default speed range in T20s is 133 k to 145 k in 2021. 

Used to regularly bowl upto 149 kph in 2018 and 2019.

So. It's true that almost all Indian pacers have become a bit slower during " bubble life ". Plus Umesh and Shami are becoming old and will bowl slower in the future.

Edited by express bowling

Out and out fast bowling from Indians  ....

Srinath ....

1994 to 1999 ( barring 2nd half of 1997 after his rotator cuff injury )

Umesh .... 

2011 to mid 2017

Aaron ....

2011 to 2017

Bumrah ....

Middle of 2017 to 2019

In some matches in 2020 and 2021

Saini ....

2018 to mid 2020

Prasidh ....

2018 and 2019

It's true that apart from Bumrah in some matches, we lack an out and out quick bowler in 2021.

Need to introduce fresh fast bowlers who are quick and reasonably accurate.

Edited by express bowling

17 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Srinath ....

Umesh .... 

2011 to mid 2017

Aaron ....

2011 to 2017

Bumrah ....

Middle of 2017 to 2019

Saini ....

2018 to mid 2020

Prasidh ....

2018 and 2019

It's true that apart from Bumrah in some matches, we lack an out and out quick bowler in 2021.

Strange such a mature poster her falling to this farce thread bro,this joker is  @Baji-Rao

His  peculiar "our","we" are the red flags here

1 minute ago, Suhaan said:

Strange such a mature poster her falling to this farce thread bro,this joker is  @Baji-Rao

His  peculiar "our","we" are the red flags here

I am not falling for it. Can spot a Padosi after one post of his.

However, many Indian poster have raised similar issues in the recent past too.

Which is why I am outlining the real situation.

Frankly speaking, I too am of the opinion that " Bubble life " has led to Indians bowling slower this year ... and wanted to raise this issue myself.

9 minutes ago, express bowling said:

I am not falling for it. Can spot a Padosi after one post of his.

However, many Indian poster have raised similar issues in the recent past too.

Which is why I am outlining the real situation.

Frankly speaking, I too am of the opinion that " Bubble life " has led to Indians bowling slower this year ... and wanted to raise this issue myself.

Nortje hit peak speed of 156 kmph in 2020, this year he is at 151 so far. Him and Fergusson bowled dozens of 150+ deliveries in 2020, hardly 3-4 this year by Nortje. Fergusson's top speed is 148 kmph, a good 6 kmph slower than his top seed last year. Bumrah's top speed was 148 kmphlats year, this year he is at 146.

Now enough data points but speeds are slower. Could be due to speed guns or as you say bubble life taking a toll.

Just now, express bowling said:

Srinath ....

Umesh .... 

2011 to mid 2017

Aaron ....

2011 to 2017

Bumrah ....

Middle of 2017 to 2019

Saini ....

2018 to mid 2020

Prasidh ....

2018 and 2019

Neither saini nor prasidh are out and out quick bowlers, srinath could bowl quick but never genuine express pace bowler, salil ankola was quicker than him in the early 90s. Umesh was a beast in terms of pace in his first few series, Varun Aaron in 2014 was a genuine pace bowler, nathu Singh was coming good in 2015 until injuries hampered his career.

1 hour ago, Mesky99 said:

Neither saini nor prasidh are out and out quick bowlers, srinath could bowl quick but never genuine express pace bowler, salil ankola was quicker than him in the early 90s. Umesh was a beast in terms of pace in his first few series, Varun Aaron in 2014 was a genuine pace bowler, nathu Singh was coming good in 2015 until injuries hampered his career.

we don't need out and out quick. Bowling 140 in good areas and moving the ball is good enough to succeed which all of Bumrah, Shami, Siraj, Umesh do. 

Edited by rkt.india

58 minutes ago, Suhaan said:

Since Akhter no paxtani pacer has been able to bowl at pace consistently,they are just t20 tamashists,dont have in them to bowl at reasonable pace even in helpful conditions

There is a reason Australia considered them as the weakest bowling attack to have traveled there

Wahab Riaz.

Speeds have definitely gone down. I don't see any exciting prospect. There always used to be at least 2 bowlers if not more who were in the 145-150 range in the IPL.
I think from what I've seen this year, Siraj is the only bowler who seems to have picked up a bit of pace in this format and has improved overall as a bowler.
Prasidh, Saini have been massively disappointing. At least guys like Umesh had some extra pace during their hey day. 

Shami used to be someone who bowled consistently around the 145 range in IPL. Don't see that anymore. Age has certainly caught up with him. Bumrah bowls well at his usual pace in patches but not as consistently as he used to before. And also peak pace has been down since his back injury. I know he has a super unconventional run-up that has worked for him. But may be he needs to tweak that a little bit to evolve.
Saini and Prasidh are awful accuracy wise and also dont have any extra zip n pace.
Mavi and Nagarkoti probably bowled faster in the under 19 WC and that says it all. We gotta find some new talent and soon.   

Edited by MK55

Just now, MK55 said:

Speeds have definitely gone down. I don't see any exciting prospect. There always used to be at least 2 bowlers if not more who were in the 145-150 range in the IPL.
I think from what I've seen this year, Siraj is the only bowler who seems to have picked up a bit of pace in this format and has improved overall as a bowler.
Prasidh, Saini have been massively disappointing. At least guys like Umesh had some extra pace during their hey day. 

Shami used to be someone who bowled consistently around the 145 range in IPL. Don't see that anymore. Age has certainly caught up with him. Bumrah bowls well at his usual pace in patches but not as consistently as he used to before. And also peak pace has been down since his back injury. I know he has a super unconventional run-up that has worked for him. But may be he needs to tweak that a little bit to evolve.
Saini and Prasidh are awful accuracy wise and also dont have any extra zip n pace.
Mavi and Nagarkoti probably bowled faster in the under 19 WC and that says it all. We gotta find some new talent and soon.   

Absolutely, funny how i was being mocked and called a Pakistani because I pointed out how we probably may not have the pace bowling stock we think we have, there is no point being delusional, rather be rationale. Kuldeep Sen from mp looks like a prospect