Are you optimistic/confident about better ICC event results with Dravid as head coach ?

9 minutes ago, Pollack said:

He will fill the team with Bhuvaneshwar Kumar, Chetan Sakaria, Unadcutter, harshal Patel etc.

Why do you say this?

Dhoni knows how to get the most of his players. His track record as a captain speaks for itself. What is Dravid's achievement as a captain?

Also Dhoni is a lot more inspirational as a leader than Dravid. Does any cricket playing kid aspire to be a Dravid? Not that I have heard of.

Look, this isn't a critique of Dravid. He may be a great coach and analytical and all that. But Dhoni is likely to be all of that too and is a leader.

Also, I am against having two power centres. Just keep a coach. Why the need for a mentor thus forming different cliques in the team.

8 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

Why do you say this?

Dhoni knows how to get the most of his players. His track record as a captain speaks for itself. What is Dravid's achievement as a captain?

Also Dhoni is a lot more inspirational as a leader than Dravid. Does any cricket playing kid aspire to be a Dravid? Not that I have heard of.

Look, this isn't a critique of Dravid. He may be a great coach and analytical and all that. But Dhoni is likely to be all of that too and is a leader.

Also, I am against having two power centres. Just keep a coach. Why the need for a mentor thus forming different cliques in the team.

So you are assuming a good captain ( Dhoni ) will be a good coach/ mentor ? 

1 minute ago, rangeelaraja said:

So you are assuming a good captain ( Dhoni ) will be a good coach/ mentor ? 

Yes I am.

Dhoni has a philosophy. Wether or not, it is sound is a different discussion. He sticks to it. Optimizes the team/game plan accordingly. And can think on his feet. All of this we have seen.

We also know that the current lot of players have a high regard for his captaincy.

So yes, a fair assumption?

5 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

Yes I am.

Dhoni has a philosophy. Wether or not, it is sound is a different discussion. He sticks to it. Optimizes the team/game plan accordingly. And can think on his feet. All of this we have seen.

We also know that the current lot of players have a high regard for his captaincy.

So yes, a fair assumption?

I don’t think so. What Dhoni was good at was game time decisions on field / behind the stumps - quick / sharp decisions , mid over bowling tactics and other bowling changes depending on match situation

This is entirely the captains prerogative. as coach watching from the sidelines - things are not the same. 

Unless cricket allows soccer style manager inputs without any limit on time outs. 

Edited by rangeelaraja
1 hour ago, rangeelaraja said:

I don’t think so. What Dhoni was good at was game time decisions on field / behind the stumps - quick / sharp decisions , mid over bowling tactics and other bowling changes depending on match situation

This is entirely the captains prerogative. as coach watching from the sidelines - things are not the same. 

Unless cricket allows soccer style manager inputs without any limit on time outs. 

Okay I'm missing something here.

What exactly does a cricket coach do, in that case?

Just now, rangeelaraja said:

A cricket coach CANNOT  take on-field tactical decisions in the heat of the game on behalf of the captain. 

Fair.

But he can decide whom to send next to bat. Or pick a side for a particular pitch/ opponent etc. All of this also requires some tactical nous.

2 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Why do you say this?

Dhoni is the most overrated selfish person on planet. Better than kohli is not a qualification.

38 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

Dhoni was anointed the mentor the same time the squad was picked. He didn't have any say in whom to pick.

The shambles that was this T20 WC campaign, is hardly on him.

He role as a mentor wasnt of a selector.. it was to mentor the team selected....clearly his input was meaningless so ergo useless

40 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

Coach has a distinct role which does not involve imbibing in public.

On a serious note from trading, squad selection to game p lo anning is all on the coach. This decision making on the field looks nice but is not effective. Analytics should replace this crap.

1 hour ago, Mariyam said:

In short, nothing. :phehe: In Indian setup captain is the most powerful entity. To be a successful coach in Indian setup you should do nothing other than giving pep talks. Reason why Ravi Shastri was successful and Kumble thrown out.

Edited by Pollack