Coaching Watch: Rahul Dravid.

sandeep

22 minutes ago, nevada said:

There is one poster who staunchly defends washed up seniors and denies the availability of ANY new talent. 

I know who u are referring to. (I m not supporting him or his ideas).  But TBH, the upcoming young talent be it in batting or bowling is eqally trash.  For eg: What has Gill done after having played 3 yrs of test cricket? He looked clueless against Toyger spinners and now looks clueless in Eng.  Scored golden ducks in Eng last year.    We hv keepers like Bharat whose batting looks like a  Baarat (procession).  

17 minutes ago, Frustrated said:

I know who u are referring to. (I m not supporting him or his ideas).  But TBH, the upcoming young talent be it in batting or bowling is eqally trash.  For eg: What has Gill done after having played 3 yrs of test cricket? He looked clueless against Toyger spinners and now looks clueless in Eng.  Scored golden ducks in Eng last year.    We hv keepers like Bharat whose batting looks like a  Baarat (procession).  

Gill will be fine in ayear or two in tests as well,newcomers take time like their seniors did

Anyway,one has no choice other than building side with newcomers when the seniors have handsomely passed their sell by date,not even question of building this side around some(or one senior),it is that bad situation

A complete new side will obviously be a fragile, they will certainly come to their own,but yes selectors and TM needs to be ruthless,no shupershtaar worship

Edited by Suhaan
15 minutes ago, Frustrated said:

The art of adapting and batting in tough conditions is pretty much dead these days. Weightage needs to be given to batsmen who score well in difficult conditions. Bhagat is a dud, not sure why Saha cant be called in until Pant comes back. 

20 minutes ago, Frustrated said:

You will give the youngsters a pass if you know the amount of chances Rohit and Rahul were given to cement their position in the team. Rohit made a career out of bashing the hapless lankans. Before Rahul it was Rohit people were most frustrated with.

23 minutes ago, Frustrated said:

What is with this hounding of new players ? Do you really expect Gill to come in straight away and smash hundreds in testing conditions and world class bowlers? This ain't IPL. 

Youngsters usually take time to settle in while giving some glimpses of their ability here and there. Rohit and Kohli were much worse when they were new to the scene. No wonder with trash opinions like these , we have the usual eggsperienced players hogging all the important positions in the national teams. 

I think it was Michael Vaughan or I'm not sure who said on commentary once..that India are one of the worst at managing young cricketing talent and giving them exposure at the highest level. So so right..

I mean not just the team management, selectors and the cricket board, even the fans are awful with their expectations on youngsters, who are still finding their feet. Even worse for bowlers who are treated like garbage after a few bad games. Until and unless the fans fix their mentality, we'll continue to see the Indian team getting filled with 35 yo has beens who should rather be in a retirement home than in an international cricket team. 

10 minutes ago, Norman said:

No wonder with trash opinions like these , we have the usual eggsperienced players hogging all the important positions in the national teams. 

I m not a part of the selection committe nor a part of the TM.   How does my opinion on a cricket discussion forum like ICF influence team Ind's selection policy?   Do our selectors, coach and TM officials visit this forum before taking selection calls?  What u are suggesting is hilarious.  Morever, you are defending Gill that he came straighway from IPL. It's as if the aussie batsmen hv been in Eng for decades practising in Eng conditions.  They r also coming from IPL.  And no body forced gill to play IPL.  It was his choice.  If he wanted , he could hv requested bcci to tour Eng early by skipping ipl.  Like many players from other countries do.  

6 minutes ago, Frustrated said:

I'm not a part of the selection committe nor a part of the TM.   How does my opinion on a cricket discussion forum like ICF influence team Ind's selection policy? 

Don't take things too literally bro. I obviously meant that this constant hounding of young players when they fail is the reason why the so called seniors overstay their time. You're deluding yourself if you think that our team selection policy doesn't revolve around star power and commercial aspect of the so called senior players. 

Perfect example is the 2019 world cup where a beyond washed up MSD was selected. You know who was his backup? Yes... Another washed up player in DK, even when it was crystal clear that Rishabh Pant was a better option than both of them. And all those Dhoni bhakts who ostracized Pant for every small failure were directly responsible for a young player losing out on a deserving spot.. 

Same thing happened with

Gill vis a vis KL.

Saha vis a vis Pant

And is still happening right now with Jaiswal wrt Rohit, Pujara and even Kohli.

4 minutes ago, Norman said:

Don't take things too literally bro. I obviously meant that this constant hounding of young players when they fail is the reason why the so called seniors overstay their time. You're deluding yourself if you think that our team selection policy doesn't revolve around star power and commercial aspect of the so called senior players. 

Perfect example is the 2019 world cup where a beyond washed up MSD was selected. You know who was his backup? Yes... Another washed up player in DK, even when it was crystal clear that Rishabh Pant was a better option than both of them. And all those Dhoni bhakts who ostracized Pant for every small failure were directly responsible for a young player losing out on a deserving spot.. 

Same thing happened with

Gill vis a vis KL.

Saha vis a vis Pant

And is still happening right now with Jaiswal wrt Rohit, Pujara and even Kohli.

Thanx for the clarification.  Agree with u on this.   

35 minutes ago, Norman said:

What is with this hounding of new players ? Do you really expect Gill to come in straight away and smash hundreds in testing conditions and world class bowlers? This ain't IPL. 

Youngsters usually take time to settle in while giving some glimpses of their ability here and there. Rohit and Kohli were much worse when they were new to the scene. No wonder with trash opinions like these , we have the usual eggsperienced players hogging all the important positions in the national teams. 

IPL and t20s are yes,for batsmen played on flattest of wickets,their questions are raised on SRs not technique as almost everyone has no issues scoring runs

26 minutes ago, Frustrated said:

I m not a part of the selection committe nor a part of the TM.   How does my opinion on a cricket discussion forum like ICF influence team Ind's selection policy?   Do our selectors, coach and TM officials visit this forum before taking selection calls?  What u are suggesting is hilarious.  Morever, you are defending Gill that he came straighway from IPL. It's as if the aussie batsmen hv been in Eng for decades practising in Eng conditions.  They r also coming from IPL.  And no body forced gill to play IPL.  It was his choice.  If he wanted , he could hv requested bcci to tour Eng early by skipping ipl.  Like many players from other countries do.  

Apart from Green which Aussie here was regularly playing IPL?

Bowling was trash,it was bound to fail,Umesh Shami bowling in England

We were left with only Siraj effectively,that is lack of planning, vision,denial to change etc

And biggest of them all we as Indians tend to mix formats to make player judgements

On a different note,had we used IPL's potential even at 40-50% we could have sorted out our LOI side

4 hours ago, Suhaan said:

Apart from Green which Aussie here was regularly playing IPL?

Bowling was trash,it was bound to fail,Umesh Shami bowling in England

We were left with only Siraj effectively,that is lack of planning, vision,denial to change etc

And biggest of them all we as Indians tend to mix formats to make player judgements

On a different note,had we used IPL's potential even at 40-50% we could have sorted out our LOI side

Bumrah injured

Prasih injured

Rana ready should have played. He would wreak havoc here. 

Also kuldeep sen did well in A tours here. Should have played. 6'3 bouncy and fast. What more do you need? 

21 hours ago, Lord said:

same as Rohit

See coach's role ends once match starts. With all the injury to pacers and Iyer/Rahul/Pant/Sundar. There weren't many options to choose anyway.

Yes Ashwin could have played but many posters agreed with the decision to not play him on eve of the Test. We can criticise mid match but they can't change team mid match.

So Rahane has justified his selection. Deserved a ton. Good on him.

One thing people forget is how Shastri-Kohli used to chop and change youngsters especially bats while not applying the same to seniors. It messed up KL after he was dropped for Dhawan after successful 2018 tour .He used to be free flowing batsman then but became a pale version of himself. Was only made permanent later but more to hide their own failures.

Now youngsters who get chance don't get binned so soon. As a result Gill has become premier batsman in LOI whereas under Shastri we would have still been playing Dhawan.

6 hours ago, Jay said:

Bumrah injured

Prasih injured

Rana ready should have played. He would wreak havoc here. 

Also kuldeep sen did well in A tours here. Should have played. 6'3 bouncy and fast. What more do you need? 

Sen has been injured and didn't play any FC cricket this year. Rana has only played  5 FC games.

Idiotic to think they'd been effective in overseas conditions in high pressure game like this straightaway.

If they failed people like you only would have bashed them.