Entry for bookworms only. Tread at your own risk....

Mariyam

I'm going to put in iconic lines ( could be the opening lines, the last lines, or any line in between) from books of various genres.

You have to identify the book. Mad props if you can identify the narrator/character who said those lines.

DON'T USE search engines :rolleyes: to appear smart on the interwebbz.

1) All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.

2) It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen

3) Don’t ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody

4) Recite(or read)!  (Over here, I've only highlighted the first word)

5) After all, tomorrow is another day

6) The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which

7) Whatever our struggles and triumphs, however we may suffer them, all too soon they bleed into a wash, just like watery ink on paper

8) It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known

Bonus question: What is the speaker on about?

9) Oh, my girls, however long you may live, I never can wish you a greater happiness than this

10) Mother died today. Or maybe it was yesterday, I don't know

Edited by Mariyam

Clues in blue font.

1) All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.

The protagonists' name is also the name of the novel.

2)It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen

Thoughtcrime, doublespeak, thinkpol, doubleplusungood, oldspeak

3) Answered by @jf1gp_1

4) Recite(or read)!  (Over here, I've only highlighted the first word)

Revelation

5) Answered by @Yoda-esque

6) Answered by @goose

7) Whatever our struggles and triumphs, however we may suffer them, all too soon they bleed into a wash, just like watery ink on paper

Japan

8) Bonus question answered by @Prakat. The name of the novel has yet to be identified.

9) Oh, my girls, however long you may live, I never can wish you a greater happiness than this

A 2019 movie *ing Emma Watson was an adaptation of this book.

10) Answered by @punjabi_khota

Edited by Mariyam

uff...

1. Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy

2. 1984 -  George Orwell

6. Animal Farm - George Orwell

8. A Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens (one of my favourites among so many of Dickens' other works that come very close...)

9. Little Women - Louisa May Alcott

curse you with all my heart for making me type this out @Mariyam

Edited by Prakat

Some more clues

4)  Recite(or read)!  (Over here, I've only highlighted the first word)

Revelation, Think religion!

Japan,

Suppose that you and I were sitting in a quiet room overlooking a garden, chatting and sipping at our cups of green tea while we talked about something that had happened a long while ago, and I said to you, "That afternoon when I met so-and-so...was the very best afternoon of my life, and also the very worst afternoon." I expect you might put down your teacup and say, "Well, now, which was it? Was it the best or the worst? Because it can't possibly have been both!" Ordinarily I'd have to laugh at myself and agree with you. But the truth is that the afternoon when I met....... 

Some more clues

Revelation, Think religion!

Japan,

Suppose that you and I were sitting in a quiet room overlooking a garden, chatting and sipping at our cups of green tea while we talked about something that had happened a long while ago, and I said to you, "That afternoon when I met so-and-so...was the very best afternoon of my life, and also the very worst afternoon." I expect you might put down your teacup and say, "Well, now, which was it? Was it the best or the worst? Because it can't possibly have been both!" Ordinarily I'd have to laugh at myself and agree with you. But the truth is that the afternoon when I met....... 

Chairman and geisha..memoirs of a geisha

That just leaves 4) unanswered!

Adding another clue and a few more questions

Revelation, Think religion!, Jibril

11) He turned out the light and went into Jem's room. He would be there all night, and he would be there when Jem waked up in the morning

12) Very few castaways can claim to have survived so long at sea as Mr. Patel, and none in the company of an adult Bengal tiger

13) A LAST NOTE FROM YOUR NARRATOR. I am haunted by humans

14) I ran with the wind blowing in my face, and a smile as wide as the valley of Panjsher on my lips. I ran

15) Brevity is the soul of wit

16) Again and again I called out for Midori from the dead centre of this place that was no place

17) The proletarians have nothing to lose but their chains. They have a world to win. Workers of all countries, unite.

18) Having made this present, I had to curtail some of the festivities. I could not have the electric lights I had intended, nor the military band, and the ladies of the house were despondent at it. But to me the wedding feast was all the brighter for the thought that in a distant land a long-lost father met again with his only child.

19) What of Art?
-It is a malady.
--Love?
-An Illusion.
--Religion?
-The fashionable substitute for Belief.
--You are a sceptic.
-Never! Scepticism is the beginning of Faith.
--What are you?
-To define is to limit

20) Is there anything more dangerous than dissatisfied and irresponsible gods who don't know what they want?

4 hours ago, Prakat said:

4. The Satanic Verses? 

I'm afraid not.

Added a last clue. If no one still manages to guess it, I shall reveal (pun unintended) the answer.

@Alam_dar @Sooda should be able to answer this!

These remain unanswered. Extra clues in blue. How's that for a rhyme?

Added a last clue. If no one still manages to guess it, I shall reveal (pun unintended) the answer.

14) I ran with the wind blowing in my face, and a smile as wide as the valley of Panjsher on my lips. I ran

16) Again and again I called out for Midori from the dead centre of this place that was no place

18) Having made this present, I had to curtail some of the festivities. I could not have the electric lights I had intended, nor the military band, and the ladies of the house were despondent at it. But to me the wedding feast was all the brighter for the thought that in a distant land a long-lost father met again with his only child.

19) What of Art?
-It is a malady.
--Love?
-An Illusion.
--Religion?
--You are a sceptic.
--What are you?
-To define is to limit

20) Is there anything more dangerous than dissatisfied and irresponsible gods who don't know what they want?

3 hours ago, Mariyam said:

These remain unanswered. Extra clues in blue. How's that for a rhyme?

19) What of Art?
-It is a malady.
--Love?
-An Illusion.
--Religion?
--You are a sceptic.
--What are you?
-To define is to limit

`iqra bismi rabbika lladhee khalaq :-)

I feel so left out here.

(1) I used to read a lot, but not anymore, except for what is required to teach and learn about my area of research OR non-fiction books (cooking, biographies of scientists etc.)

(2) I have a terrible memory.  Even if I read all the books on that list, chances are I wouldn't remember much.  This attribute, of course, comes in handy while watching movies multiple times - things will look familiar, but I won't remember the plot, so it'll still be fun. 

Edited by BacktoCricaddict