U19 World Cup Discussion

nsareen

6 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

This under-19 team may not have next level talents. But as a unit this is a well rounded unit. Lot of bowlers. Lot of batsmen. This is probably the template Indian seniors should adopt. Someone who can change game lower down the order.

Hangargekar is a next level talent, in the category of Mavi, Nagarkoti if stays injury free. Raj Bawa as well, a middle order batsman bowling mid to high 130s. These two guys should be nurtured immediately for international level especially Hangargekar. Express bowler, big hitter lower down the order. Vasu Vats is Covid isolated is another next level fast bowling talent. Yash Dhull and Rasheed are good too.

8 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Wow India's 8th bowler comes on bowls and takes a wicket.  Damn it is the opposite of our current senior Indian side.

6 players were out coz of Covid, so, extra bowlers played. Garv Sangwan and aneeshwar Gautam came in for captain and vice captain. One is fast bowler, one is alrounder 

one thing that really strikes me consistently is the huge difference between the same cricketer at U19 level and at FC (not even talking about Ind A or int'l) level. Time and again, in the WCs, our U19 has 6-8 bowling options and several in top/middle order can bowl. Suddenly, they go to FC/Lisa A/T20 and stop bowling altogether. Jaiswal was a useful bowler, Sarfaraz was one more, and the list goes on. Speaking of these two, I've hardly seen either of them bowl in domestics.

Just goes on to show one or both of two things: (1) gap between U19 and domestics (even when playing Plate teams) is very big, or (2) the transition from junior to senior cricket is not being managed well, and these players are being encouraged to ignore their secondary skills and only focus on primary skill.

46 minutes ago, Vijy said:

one thing that really strikes me consistently is the huge difference between the same cricketer at U19 level and at FC (not even talking about Ind A or int'l) level. Time and again, in the WCs, our U19 has 6-8 bowling options and several in top/middle order can bowl. Suddenly, they go to FC/Lisa A/T20 and stop bowling altogether. Jaiswal was a useful bowler, Sarfaraz was one more, and the list goes on. Speaking of these two, I've hardly seen either of them bowl in domestics.

Just goes on to show one or both of two things: (1) gap between U19 and domestics (even when playing Plate teams) is very big, or (2) the transition from junior to senior cricket is not being managed well, and these players are being encouraged to ignore their secondary skills and only focus on primary skill.

Dont go too far,just see how Venky Iyer isn't bowled

Soon he will realise its better to focus on batting and leave bowling altogether to seal his spot in Indian lower to middle order

Edited by Suhaan
2 hours ago, Suhaan said:

Dont go too far,just see how Venky Iyer isn't bowled

Soon he will realise its better to focus on batting and leave bowling altogether to seal his spot in Indian lower to middle order

yes, venky is an example, but at least he bowls in domestics. whereas, for many of our past U19 stars, they were useful bowlers - some were even genuine ARs - in junior cricket and once they transitioned to senior cricket, their bowling development was completely stymied, and vice-versa for some bowlers who could bat.

Jaiswal: 12 wkts in 27 matches at 16 avg (U19) versus 7 wkts in 26 matches at 33 avg (List A) --> closest we have to someone who is still bowling semi-regularly in domestics

compare this with:

Sarfaraz: 13 wkts in 33 matches at 25 avg (U19) versus 0 wkts (just 1 over!) in 21 List A matches

Gill: 3 wkts in 16 matches at 22 avg (U19) versus 0 wkts (just 1 over!) in 58 List A matches

Kohli: 9 wkts in 28 matches at 21 avg (U19) versus 4 wkts in 289 matches at avg of 182 (List A)

I know step-up from junior to senior cricket is v. challenging, but even if their records are not as strong as U19 level, some of these lads could have and should have bowled more in Ranji, VHT, SMT, etc. Of the most recent gen, I hope at least that Tilak Varma will continue to bowl in domestics. Has 5 wkts in 16 List A matches with avg of 21.