Semiconductor shortage

vvvslaxman

My ancient desktop started acting up with CPU fan failure message. Thermal throttling made my desktop unusable. I do have laptop. But i prefer desktop. So i was shopping around PC. This time instead of buying from OEM thought of buying from system integrator.  That is when i learnt how expensive GPUs have become. Also crypto miners expedited the GPU (Graphics processing unit) shortage.   Some GPUs are sold at a price 4 times more than MSRP price. Especially Nvidia RTX cards.  Any decent configuration was going to cost me a fortune. So i decided to fix my ancient computer.  Bought a 15$ fan second hand and thermal throttling gone as the old one became unusable. A CPU upgrade (replacing one ancient CPU with another one with much better performance) bit of memory upgrade i am all set.  

Instead of spending 2500 to 3000$. I have solved my issue with 15$. This is the beauty of desktop. You can prolong it. Especially if you buy a non-OEM you can  keep it for 15 to 20 years. Mine is an OEM.

Semi conductor shortage has driven the desktop prices to sky high. 

Edited by vvvslaxman

4 hours ago, bharathh said:

Best to salvage parts from older computers atm. You can buy one for cheap and a lot of parts can be reused. 

Precisely what i am doing. Dell computers use proprietary parts. So replacing parts is very hard. I found a CPU that matches this chipset. Ordered  on ebay for like 30$.  It is significantly faster. This will also drastically increase the memory limit from 24GB RAM to 288 GB. I can now install 32 gb ram. With a slight upgrade of CPU, RAM you can dramatically increase the speed.

A neighbor waited almost a year to get their new car due to this shortage.

Stretching equipment use often is good for the environment besides the pocket unless one is using inefficient equipment or polluting vehicle like the old 2 stroke engines.

Edited by Clarke

7 hours ago, Vickydev said:

GPUs prices have been over the roof since Covid times. However there is an expectation that they should fall in coming days

That is when real shortage started. Miners expedited the GPU shortage. It is impossible to get GPU at MSRP. Mostly twice, thrice, in some cases 6 times.

15 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

That is when real shortage started. Miners expedited the GPU shortage. It is impossible to get GPU at MSRP. Mostly twice, thrice, in some cases 6 times.

I think its best to wait for next gen GPUs for now. IIRC Nvidia 40 series should be built on 5nm and Id hope more people wait on them, bringing down the current prices to atleast somewhat close to pre covid levels

2 hours ago, Vickydev said:

I think its best to wait for next gen GPUs for now. IIRC Nvidia 40 series should be built on 5nm and Id hope more people wait on them, bringing down the current prices to atleast somewhat close to pre covid levels

yes. It is likely to support pcie 5.0 standard.