Patriotism conversations

BacktoCricaddict

A few months ago, there was an argument on a WhatsApp group.  The discussion involved Nadella, Pichai and a few other guys of Indian origin who have made it big in corporate America.  Someone expressed pride stemming from the accomplishments of these guys, but others jumped on them asking "what have they done for India?  Why be proud of them?"

This begged the question: 

What does it mean to do something for "your" country? 

Do you have to live there?  Is just living there enough?  What more should you do?

Or can you live elsewhere, contribute financially to the downtrodden in the country, or be CEOs of multinational companies that then start enterprises in your country, thus creating opportunities?   

These discussions are worthless on WA where no one wants to engage is serious talk, but this group may have the answers. 

Being patriotic is a spectrum of things - and not a state of being, but specific acts.  A Nadella may not be explicitly doing things for India the country, but his identity indisputably creates a positive brand for Indians and his country of origin.  And self-centered economic migrants who haven't done anything directly "for" India can 'be' patriotic at times in specific acts - I do not count "rhetoric" or verbal jousting as an "act" btw....

Being patriotic has a massive spectrum. It has indicators in behaviour and lives of people, It ranges from being targetted by enemy state for example BJP leaders and workers loosing lives in J&K by planned ISI/Pak mil Army or being targetted in Punjab by Khalistanis or doing unification and development of of India on basis of Indianness without blaming any community/Individual to having a thought, yes just a thought, by NRIs to support Indian Government by not buying Chinese product and switching to a alternative product if they can, or doing so well that local community of that country is awed by how good and nice and beneficial the Indians are to them.

NRIs have a role of projecting Indian soft power. They are a showcase of Indians to world that this is what Indians can become or really are,  in a fair world where they are given opportunity. All the while, back home, Indians are to work hard and continously and make India a real power so that world can be a better place

9 minutes ago, Clarke said:

Forget NRIs, I don't find a lot of Indians in India patriotic. Making the country dirty or polluting it, evading taxes, indulging in corruption, driving on the wrong side of the road etc is unpatriotic in my book and no amount of flag waving or being a keyboard warrior will change that. 

You may be right but you need to understand that its the conditions at home which contribute to such beaviour. For example open field defaction was common in India and not same now. Let people reach a certain level of prosperity, education, awareness, realistation that they live in a global community and that small peice of land and govmnt is only thing they got. It will take time. lets see where India is after just 100 years of Independence

50 minutes ago, mishra said:

You may be right but you need to understand that its the conditions at home which contribute to such beaviour. For example open field defaction was common in India and not same now. Let people reach a certain level of prosperity, education, awareness, realistation that they live in a global community and that small peice of land and govmnt is only thing they got. It will take time. lets see where India is after just 100 years of Independence

I can ignore kids/teens but adults who are 30+ have a fair understanding of their actions and see the mess they create willingly are unpardonable. Its pure selfishness that benefits them & harms others, nothing else. 

Sure there is a broad scope of actions and defecation is something I can attribute to ignorance but abusing traffic laws is just malignant behavior. The simple idea is I'll do what I like to do on public property and you better adapt to my actions.

Edited by Clarke

Bare minimum when we live in any country is to make sure that we don’t irritate the local population there. Sure there will be racists everywhere who will take offence in whatever we do, I am not talking about them. But I have seen some Indians going overboard with their “cultural activities”

Example in my life is a place called Harris park in Sydney where a bunch a morons open their windows and blast out loud Indian songs throughout the night. 

thumb rule, whenever you do something in a foreign country, just think if you will be okay if someone else does the same thing in our country