King Charles III’s coronation: Row looms over crown for Camilla, Queen Consort (Koh-i-Noor)

goose

Do you care?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2022/10/12/king-charles-coronation-row-queen-consort-camillas-crown/#comment

Buckingham Palace is reconsidering plans for the Queen Consort to be crowned using the controversial Koh-i-Noor diamond, with India’s ruling party warning that the move would bring back “painful memories of the colonial past”.

Palace officials are understood to be reviewing whether Queen Camilla should wear the jewel, which has been worn by consorts including Queen Alexandra and Queen Mary. It was worn most recently the Queen Mother in 1937.

The Queen Consort will be crowned alongside the King at Westminster Abbey on May 6, with the disputed diamond previously having been expected to be used in the ceremony.

But a spokesman for India’s ruling Bharatiya Janata Party told The Telegraph a choice for Queen Camilla to wear the diamond in her crown would “transport” some “back to the days of the British Empire in India”.

On Wednesday night, royal sources insisted no decision on the Koh-i-Noor diamond had yet been made but added that the King and his team were “acutely aware” of the need to consider current sensitivities, wanting a coronation reflecting modern times as well as tradition.

It is understood that while the key religious and historic traditions of the coronation will remain, all other elements are still under discussion at the palace.

Options for the Queen Consort’s coronation crown now include using the crown worn by the Queen Mother with the diamond, held on a detachable mount, removed. The King and Queen Consort may also opt to use a different, simpler option from the Royal Collection, it is understood.

Debate over the ceremony comes amid heightened tensions between Britain and India over post-Brexit trade.

Liz Truss’s trade deal with India is said to be on the “verge of collapse” after Suella Braverman, the Home Secretary, said she had “concerns” about it, adding that “the largest group of people who overstay are Indian migrants”.

Indian government sources said the “disrespectful” remarks meant the “relationship has taken a step back”. Plans for Narendra Modi, the Indian prime minister, to visit the UK to seal a trade deal have been shelved, according to reports.

On Wednesday, the Bharatiya Janata Party told The Telegraph a choice for Queen Camilla to continue the tradition of consorts wearing a crown containing the Koh-i-Noor would hark back to the days of Empire.

“The coronation of Camilla and the use of the crown jewel Koh-i-Noor brings back painful memories of the colonial past,” he said. “Most Indians have very little memory of the oppressive past. Five to six generations of Indians suffered under multiple foreign rules for over five centuries.

“Recent occasions, like Queen Elizabeth II’s death, the coronation of the new Queen Camilla and the use of the Koh-i-Noor do transport a few Indians back to the days of the British Empire in India.”

The thousand-year-old, 105.6 carat diamond is the subject of international dispute, with India, Afghanistan and Iran among the countries laying claim to it. The Royal Collection Trust describes it as being “surrendered” to Queen Victoria “by the Maharaja Duleep Singh in 1849” as part of the Treaty of Lahore, when the Maharaja was aged 11.

It was later presented to Queen Victoria by the East India Company, put on show as part of the 1851 Great Exhibition, cut into a brooch and used for a succession of coronation crowns for the women of the Royal family.

The diamond is now set in the front of the late Queen Mother's crown, thought until now to be the front-runner for the new Queen Consort to wear on May 6.

Buckingham Palace declined to comment on whether the Queen Consort would use the crown, pick another or have her own designed for the occasion. A source said any claims that details of the coronation had been decided were speculation.

It has previously been indicated that the King favours a simplified coronation that takes into account the economic challenges faced by the UK, suggesting measures will be taken to reduce costs.

He has recently had a warm relationship with India, meeting Mr Modi on several occasions in the last few years.

The King, now Head of Commonwealth, and his advisers are understood to be mindful of the “issues around today”, with decisions about the coronation likely to be confirmed only at the last minute. 

20 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

More than a mere jewel, I care about the 1000s of idols stolen and kept in museums of the world, India should ask back back all idols which were revered in our temples , and reinstate them as part of reparations. Bloody thieves!

Technically it was not thievery. They kind of bought it with some outlandish laws. But yes, there was no good intent when they took it.

1 hour ago, Khota said:

Technically it was not thievery. They kind of bought it with some outlandish laws. But yes, there was no good intent when they took it.

Yes they have paid some paltry sums to thieves who stole it from unsuspecting people. No wonder all such antiques are being returned back to countries which had colonial pasts. 

13 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Yes they have paid some paltry sums to thieves who stole it from unsuspecting people. No wonder all such antiques are being returned back to countries which had colonial pasts. 

I hope they do but I don't think they would.

Indian Pajeetry knows no bounds. Instead of worrying over more pertinent issues at home, they would prefer to constantly whinge about some useless artifact from past with no relevance in the present context.

Like Coffee Rules said, why no efforts to acquire the stolen idols . You are the last remaining Hindu country in the world ffs.

21 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

Don't see what's wrong with it...  Indians don't care as of now.  I guess Pakistan also claims it & Afghans too have a claim thanks to Abdali. 

Brits won it in the end fair & square after defeating Sikh empire....  Kyu wapis de wo

So, if you win a war you get to loot? Rape? Kill kids? Is that OK. If that is acceptable, can we call the empire barbaric?

6 hours ago, Stradlater said:

Indian Pajeetry knows no bounds. Instead of worrying over more pertinent issues at home, they would prefer to constantly whinge about some useless artifact from past with no relevance in the present context.

Like Coffee Rules said, why no efforts to acquire the stolen idols . You are the last remaining Hindu country in the world ffs.

Both things need to happen. If India does not complaint, they get to keep it.

4 minutes ago, Khota said:

So, if you win a war you get to loot? Rape? Kill kids? Is that OK. If that is acceptable, can we call the empire barbaric?

That's how things have happened in human history...  Now we don't go tell Uzbekistan to dismantle Timur's tomb & his massive statue & don't call him a national hero. 

Why this selective outrage?   Kohinoor has been throughout passed on to those who eventually won it. 

It isn't worth it & I am glad Indian govt.  Has stopped giving it much attention.  It is a symbol of British colonialism in India & let it remain so for the sake of PR. 

6 hours ago, Stradlater said:

Nepal says Hi...  

45 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

They declared secular too. Buddhists and commies in Nepal, Burma, Bhutan discriminate Hindus badly and have an upper hand. 

Buddhists fall under Dharmic fold too..   These are all branches of Sanatan.  There is no religion specifically called Hinduism...  Except for outside interpretation. 

From whatever I have interacted with Nepalis..   They consider themselves to be hardcore Hindus...  And found that Indian Hindus have lost their way a while back. 

Nepal until 2008 amendments was the last official Hindu rashtra on planet. 

30 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

Buddhists fall under Dharmic fold too..   These are all branches of Sanatan.  There is no religion specifically called Hinduism...  Except for outside interpretation. 

From whatever I have interacted with Nepalis..   They consider themselves to be hardcore Hindus...  And found that Indian Hindus have lost their way a while back. 

Nepal until 2008 amendments was the last official Hindu rashtra on planet. 

Certainly, Maoists are politically more powerful, agree Hindus are majority in Nepal. Western Indology since the 17th century have tried to separate Buddhism from Sanatan Dharma. They have tried to call Buddha as anti-vedic and anti-caste and rituals, while all ills of our society is blamed on Vedic customs and rituals and Brahminism for caste hierarchy. The commies and Marxists historians have continued the same after Independence. So, Buddhists in countries like Nepal, Bhutan and SL have considered themselves superior than Sanatanis who are collectively called as Hindus. Only the sanatanis count them as fellow Dharmics. Same has happened for Sikhs as well. I had seen a documentary on how Hindus in Bhutan are being pushed out of Bhutan to neighboring Nepal, as they aim to be 100% Buddhist. We always think Bhutanese are most peace-loving people and it's rated the Happiest country in the world. It is only in some remote villages and not an official policy of the state.

Edited by coffee_rules

23 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

That's how things have happened in human history...  Now we don't go tell Uzbekistan to dismantle Timur's tomb & his massive statue & don't call him a national hero. 

Why this selective outrage?   Kohinoor has been throughout passed on to those who eventually won it. 

It isn't worth it & I am glad Indian govt.  Has stopped giving it much attention.  It is a symbol of British colonialism in India & let it remain so for the sake of PR. 

Times have changed. Nazis were tried in Nuremberg. 

You are correct it may be difficult to resolve but it was a theft which has to be reminded to the British.