Michael Mann films

zen

Michael Mann is one of directors that is known for his style of filmmaking and experimentation. He is also known to do a lot of research and planning for his films. Some of his films don't do as well as expected at box office but later gain a following like The Keep for example.  Below is his filmography:

Directed features
Year    Title    
1981    Thief    
1983    The Keep    
1986    Manhunter    
1992    The Last of the Mohicans    
1995    Heat    
1999    The Insider   
2001    Ali    
2004    Collateral    
2006    Miami Vice   
2009    Public Enemies
2015    Blackhat
TBA    Ferrari   

Which are your favorite Michael Mann films? 

2 hours ago, Khota said:

I liked the Miami Vice serial. Film I did not watch. He is not the top director out there.

Mann produced the series Miami Vice … Here we are discussing films directed by him!

I rate him as an auteur where his style is observed in films such as Thief (a neo noir with tremendous street cinematography), the Keep (location and atmosphere), The Last of the Mohicans (a period piece), Heat (Robert De Niro v Al Pacino), Miami Vice (Director’s cut), etc. 

Edited by zen

8 hours ago, zen said:

Mann produced the series Miami Vice … Here we are discussing films directed by him!

I rate him as an auteur where his style is observed in films such as Thief (a neo noir with tremendous street cinematography), the Keep (location and atmosphere), The Last of the Mohicans (a period piece), Heat (Robert De Niro v Al Pacino), Miami Vice (Director’s cut), etc. 

Movies are personal choice. None of his made the cut for me.

Heat is one the all time crime classics, absolutely brilliant. I also loved Collateral, a very stylish action thriller. Manhunter was also great and The Insider was another good thriller. 

I love his nighttime cinematography and his soundtrack choices. Miami Vice the TV show, Manhunter and Collateral all had great soundtracks, I used to listen to the Collateral one a lot. 

I still haven't seen Last Of The Mohicans or Ali, I'm sure I'll enjoy them. 

13 hours ago, zen said:

For Thief (1981), do yourself a favor to watch the Criterion restored version, which makes the film appear as if it was released recently (otherwise you may not get the same experience):

6145f25286cd6ee99cf6396cdfc8405b.jpeg

E_opalrWQAA9aje.jpg

thief.jpg

thief-james-caan.jpg

8c3492ae6a360ec30fe38289b4c93444.jpg

These are the night time shots I was talking about. He's the master of them. 

Of those I have seen: Heat, Last of the Mohicans, The Insider, Ali, Miami Vice, Collateral

He has a distinct visual style. Collateral is always worth a rewatch, not least because of the fantastic lead duo (how cool is Cruise in a negative role, super actor), but also the shooting of the gleaming LA streets

On 10/25/2022 at 11:17 AM, Sooda said:

Of those I have seen: Heat, Last of the Mohicans, The Insider, Ali, Miami Vice, Collateral

He has a distinct visual style. Collateral is always worth a rewatch, not least because of the fantastic lead duo (how cool is Cruise in a negative role, super actor), but also the shooting of the gleaming LA streets

I like the first 2 the most, even more than collateral