How can we do well in white ball cricket with an aging team?!

Sgattick10

Let's look at the age of our 6-7 players.. 

Rohit Sharma skipper - 35

Virat Kohli - 34

Ravi Ashwin - 36

Dinesh Karthik - 37

Mohd Shami - 32 (:phehe:

Bhuvi - 32 (?) 

With so many non performing players in the wrong of 30s. It was obvious the fielding standard along with running between the wickets is going to be poor. So why persist with them? Just drop them and rebuild a young team with strict fitness and work ethics .. There are media reports that BCCI is going to put an age restriction for T20 sides not sure how authentic this news is, hope it's true. 

T20 is a format where you need a blend of youth and eggsperience however, the eggsperience cannot form the core of your team. There is value to experience in T20s but your core needs to be young. That's what we got right in 2007. We had eggsperienced players who were still in their late 20s.

For example, Kohli to me still offers some value in T20s in the Dawid Malan role. But for that, he needs to bat at 4, with SKY at 3 and two aggressive openers. If we lose 2 early wickets, then Kohli can come in and prevent total collapse. Otherwise, hold him back and let the hitters keep the momentum going. 

Look no further than England

Hales - 33

Butler - 33

Moeen -35

Adil - 34

Malan -35

Wood - 32

Livingstone- 30

Woakes - 33

Stokes - 31

Chris Jordan - 34 (the fittest player in wc probably)

Age doesn't matter as long as you are fit and hungry to perform.

But we have relaxed fitness tests. YoYo is gone from the day Rohit became captain. The results are there to see for everyone.

Edited by Number
15 minutes ago, Number said:

Look no further than England

Hales - 33

Butler - 33

Moeen -35

Adil - 34

Malan -35

Wood - 32

Livingstone- 30

Woakes - 33

Stokes - 31

Chris Jordan - 34 (the fittest player in wc probably)

Age doesn't matter as long as you are fit and hungry to perform.

But we have relaxed fitness tests. YoYo is gone from the day Rohit became captain. The results are there to see for everyone.

I didn't know this and was wondering how he keeps passing the test despite ever expanding girth. So the implication of this is that poor fitness is no longer a strike against Shaw and Sarfraz, right? 

vast majority of us k new what was in store. I had zero surprise in the semi final. Not at all disappointed. World T20 merely reinforced what we already knew. England also played crap outdated cricket until the semi final. Once they saw an utterly flat track they didn't waste no time putting India in. May if England batted first we might even have had a chance.  Allowing their spinners to get away with 7 overs 41 runs (under 6 runs)  did not allow us to come back in the game at all. This format is all about form. Alex Hales has close 2000 BBL runs at a strike rate of 150.  

On song Buttler is nearly unmatched in this format. We went with a bunch of swing bowlers and finger spinners.  I never cared for the result. I only care about whether they will do anything about this after an early exit (expected one)

5 hours ago, nevada said:

I didn't know this and was wondering how he keeps passing the test despite ever expanding girth. So the implication of this is that poor fitness is no longer a strike against Shaw and Sarfraz, right? 

no, it will be used against them, but not against Fatman rohit

We did well in the inaugural edition of WT20 because all our seniors then opted out of it and decided to send a young team under a young captain.

That's the Mantra of success for T20, it's a young man's game.

Our current T20 team is rotten with a rotten coach who would have himself never succeeded in this format.

Edited by Sean Bradley