2023 French Open

Gollum

Alcaraz and Nole on collision course. May be the passing of the baton moment in men's tennis. From current GOAT to (possible) future GOAT. Alcaraz looks to be the real deal, as good as the Big 3 but no competition to stop him, only injuries can slow him down. 

Friday will see the men's tennis semis, also happens to be day 3 of the WTC final, often the moving day in test cricket in England. 

Barring some upset/miracle, Friday is going to be one of the most exciting sporting days this year.

Tennis: Djokovic discovers his son's new favourite tennis player: For him,  Nadal is no longer No.1, it's Alcaraz | Marca

There was a time during college or a couple of years after College into the job where I would get excited for a grand Slam or test cricket... After that I couldn't care now I only care for where India is competing in Olympics, cricket WC, chess Olympiad, world events etc 

Atm Alcaraz looks too strong for the field, dare I say stronger than Nadal of last few years on red mud, but Nole tends to raise his game as he goes deeper. And best of 5 is a different game, as Nole has said in his PCs here.

Alcaraz has a slightly weak return, his level reminds me of Nadal of early 2010s on this surface. Not peak Nadal but prime Nadal, let us see if Novak's mental strength can make a match out of this, based on their level of play thus far, max Nole can win one set on tie-breaks. Let us see if the mental GOAT can surprise the tennis world once again. 

Edited by Gollum

2 entertaining sets and then cramps decide the match. Congrats to Nole on his 7th RG final.

Alcaraz keeps having these cramps so often, must work on hydration, electrolyte intake before games etc. Otherwise he has the game and attitude to win many many big titles.

6 hours ago, Gollum said:

Alcaraz with severe cramps, unable to move as well. Tanks 3rd set.

both had issues due to the climate; the fact that old man djoker was able to handle it better says everyting one needs to say about this champion's fitness. whereas, look at our 36 yr old vada pav - I wonder if he can even run 100 m, let alone kms

Edited by Vijy

"[It was] the tension," Alcaraz told reporters. "The tension of the match. You know, I started [the] match really nervous. The tension of the first set, the second set, it was [a] really intense two sets. Really good rallies, tough rallies, drop shots, sprints, rallies. It's a combination of a lot of things. But, you know, the main thing, it was the tension that I had all the two first sets."

--> Just shows how difficult it is to withstand the pressure. And King Djoker keeps doing it over and over, often in front of uber-hostile crowds. Love him or hate him, one cannot ignore his tremendous mental and physical abilities

On 6/10/2023 at 4:08 AM, Vijy said:

both had issues due to the climate; the fact that old man djoker was able to handle it better says everyting one needs to say about this champion's fitness. whereas, look at our 36 yr old vada pav - I wonder if he can even run 100 m, let alone kms

Weather was fine, pleasant weather. Nirther too hot nor cold.