Gukesh wins World Chess Candidates 2024. Becomes youngest ever contender for World Chess Championship crown.

rangeelaraja

Yeah Gukesh is pretty poor right now in the faster time controls. Finished bottom in the Superbet event and even in classical games ends up eating up a lot of time, Pragg and Arjun especially are the best bets for us in these formats. Carlsen is a step above everyone, Wei Yi has come from nowhere and is looking a million bucks. 

18 hours ago, Vickydev said:

Yeah Gukesh is pretty poor right now in the faster time controls. Finished bottom in the Superbet event and even in classical games ends up eating up a lot of time, Pragg and Arjun especially are the best bets for us in these formats. Carlsen is a step above everyone, Wei Yi has come from nowhere and is looking a million bucks. 

I like the classical ones way more. as long as GuKesh does well enough there, I will be content

7 hours ago, Vijy said:

I like the classical ones way more. as long as GuKesh does well enough there, I will be content

Even in Classical, it's the tie breaks where he could suffer. He lost in the finals of Tata Chess to Wei Yi and one more tournament iirc this past year or so because of his relatively underwhelming play in faster time controls.

He is so young so of course he will grow still but his rivals like Nodirbek are very young too. It will be interesting to see how he navigates this because being a well rounded player is a must in this age. 

Like @Vijy I attach more importance to classical, it's the test cricket of chess, ultimate format, a format where greatness is judged.

Gukesh has avoided faster time controls all his life, will take some time to adjust. Caruana was also like that for many years but improved.....Gukesh is just 17, lots of time. Also calculation intensive players like Gukesh and Caruana will always find faster time controls tough, while intuitive players like Pragg, Carlsen, Naka, Anand will be at home. 

Wrt this Warsaw tournament don't underestimate the effect of fatigue, shot nerves and emotional toll on Gukesh after his Candidates win. Players usually take long breaks after such milestones. He'll be just fine.