Women's reservation bill: 2 MPs vote against women quota bill, 454 in favour:

Gollum

Only two MPs voted against the women's reservation bill in the Lok Sabha on Wednesday while the bill was passed with a majority of 454 votes in favour. 

LINK

Against: Asaduddin Owaisi and ex-NDTV journalist Imtiaz Jaleel, both AIMIM MPs. 

But Owaisi has always been a darling for libbus and feminists :hysterical:

42 minutes ago, cowboysfan said:

I dont know why they have linked this bill to delimitation.Southern states should gear up to throw everything on the line to make sure they dont lose seats to breeder states like UP and Bihar if and when they actually do the delimitation.

Well that's the way a democracy should work. Delimitation has been held back long enough now. 

Not a big fan of this bill. Delimitation IMO is undemocratic in the first place. Why should I be told as a voter that I can only vote for x with certain gender or caste affiliations?

This reservation nonsense in India needs to stop. Unfortunately we are only seeing more and more of it as time passes by. 

1 hour ago, cowboysfan said:

I dont know why they have linked this bill to delimitation.Southern states should gear up to throw everything on the line to make sure they dont lose seats to breeder states like UP and Bihar if and when they actually do the delimitation.

South will not lose absolute number of seats but lose relative number of seats 

For ex.

TN population and LS seats , 8.4 cr and 39.

UP population and LS seats, 23.6 cr and 80.

Proportional seats of UP should be arnd 115

Young population of UP and Bihar will support the GDP of India in future, provides the growth impetus even today, TN with fertility rate below 2.1 at 1.6 will grow older.

43 minutes ago, bharathh said:

Not a big fan of this bill. Delimitation IMO is undemocratic in the first place. Why should I be told as a voter that I can only vote for x with certain gender or caste affiliations?

This reservation nonsense in India needs to stop. Unfortunately we are only seeing more and more of it as time passes by. 

Delimitation and seat reservation for SC/ST/women are 2 seperate things which you seem to be intermixing. Delimitation is due from a long time.

6 minutes ago, kepler37b said:

I highly respect the spirit of Turkic muslim leaders(AIMIM) here. They are not influenced by some GAE ideology. Well done.

Lol. aimim wanted seperate reservation for Muslim women.

I also did not want women reservation. But it is mostly a non issue for me.

37 minutes ago, randomGuy said:

South will not lose absolute number of seats but lose relative number of seats 

For ex.

TN population and LS seats , 8.4 cr and 39.

UP population and LS seats, 23.6 cr and 80.

Proportional seats of UP should be arnd 115

Young population of UP and Bihar will support the GDP of India in future, provides the growth impetus even today, TN with fertility rate below 2.1 at 1.6 will grow older.

well nobody in the south will agree with this especially all the regional parties.why should the south be penalized for improving their economy and curbing their population even below the level the government requested?.just 5 southern states contribute 35% of the of the GDP and its going to get bigger.Amit Shah made some token comments about Southern states not being affected by the Delimitation in the LS yesterday but i wont trust that guy at all.

16 minutes ago, cowboysfan said:

well nobody in the south will agree with this especially all the regional parties.why should the south be penalized for improving their economy and curbing their population even below the level the government requested?.just 5 southern states contribute 35% of the of the GDP and its going to get bigger.Amit Shah made some token comments about Southern states not being affected by the Delimitation in the LS yesterday but i wont trust that guy at all.

The five states get white colour workers as well as labour, security from rest of the country. China , Japan have empty ghost towns due to the persistent 1.5 per women fertility which TN is having. Cities like Hyderabad Bangalore etc. are thriving today to a large extent due to immigrants from UP Bihar etc. I am not from UP but I would say it is the cultural capital of entire India, very very rich culture, immense growth potential, law abiding and good people (unassuming and non pretentious), you might not have updated yourself but UP is already close to displacing TN in terms of state GDPs for rank 2 behind Maharashtra where it hasn't even realised it's true potential ...if future is kept in mind, TN should get 1/4 th the seats of UP not 1/3.

3 hours ago, cowboysfan said:

why didnt the BJP government do the census to actually confirm your theories? .

You should ask BJP govt about it.. but you as a south Indian are concerned about influx of northies or more power to them inspite of south doing well economically, I, as a Hindu will be concerned about others.  

2 hours ago, diga said:

You should ask BJP govt about it.. but you as a south Indian are concerned about influx of northies or more power to them inspite of south doing well economically, I, as a Hindu will be concerned about others.  

nope.i don't begrudge poor people moving south for better opportunities. there is a reason why delimitstion has not been implemented for a long time.if implanted the southern states will become irrelevant. a party can come to power winning just 6-7 big states even if they lose all seats in the rest of the country.this will break the federal structure of our country 

16 minutes ago, cowboysfan said:

nope.i don't begrudge poor people moving south for better opportunities. there is a reason why delimitstion has not been implemented for a long time.if implanted the southern states will become irrelevant. a party can come to power winning just 6-7 big states even if they lose all seats in the rest of the country.this will break the federal structure of our country 

If you make this a political agenda likely in TN (pls don't club all 5 South States) only, you may get a few votes, just like you would get a few votes by abusing sanatan. But if you take this argument (of basically mistrust on India) to courts of law they will trash it.

5 hours ago, cowboysfan said:

sorry but its your framing thats flawed.  Economic heft does not drive representation, but population numbers do.  Nobody's penalizing the south for progress - but the fertility rate of the southern states is a cause for concern and in more than a few places its dropping below replacement rate. Just like overpopulation is a problem, look at the Chinese and their population crash which is setting up a massive economic issue for them.  

Democracy is rule by the people, and every once in a while, you are going to have to adjust the representation ratio to make sure the number of representatives is "representative".   

Yes, overpopulated places should not benefit disproportionately thats true.  Maybe its high time that India replaced the Rajya Sabha modeled on pompous Brits with the "2 representative per state" model of the US Senate.  That can balance out the MLA distribution. 

2 hours ago, sandeep said:

sorry but its your framing thats flawed.  Economic heft does not drive representation, but population numbers do.  Nobody's penalizing the south for progress - but the fertility rate of the southern states is a cause for concern and in more than a few places its dropping below replacement rate. Just like overpopulation is a problem, look at the Chinese and their population crash which is setting up a massive economic issue for them.  

Democracy is rule by the people, and every once in a while, you are going to have to adjust the representation ratio to make sure the number of representatives is "representative".   

Yes, overpopulated places should not benefit disproportionately thats true.  Maybe it’s high time that India replaced the Rajya Sabha modeled on pompous Brits with the "2 representative per state" model of the US Senate.  That can balance out the MLA distribution. 

But in US congress is important as well. Congress seats are distributed according to population. It is very hard to take off people if we have only  two elected officials. The population of India will make it impractical.