Once a modern ODI great, Shikhar Dhawan has faded away unnoticed (article in cricinfo)

fineleg

13 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

Based on that Bavuma >  Rohit/Dhawan as he averages 54.  Too many elements are needed to evaluate the class of ODI batsman. Not just average. For starters strike rate, opposition, conditions.

Bavuma averages 54 with 6000 runs?? No. ABD averages 54 and he is better than Dhawan and Rohit.

Dhawan is forgotten not and nostalgia so I don't want to demean him but he was a good player, however, not a great like Kohli, ABD, Rohit, Buttler. David Warner was better than him too and probably Bairstow although that's debatable as let's see where he ends.

21 hours ago, nevada said:

We need to be happy that there aren't any bring back Dhoni articles! Home WC, midas touch, championship winner at the last IPL - the ingredients are there to rile up sentimental fans, sports journalists and "experts"!

As stupid as it sounds, I would rather have Dhoni keeping at the WC than KL.

On 9/26/2023 at 1:16 PM, Vijy said:

one of our best ODI batters, period. however, his time has clearly passed

I cant believe India once had Sehwag and Tendulkar opening in ODI, I regret not enjoying more at the time.

I remember first watching Sehwag and would sometimes struggle to identify who was on strike.

However the moment the shot was played, there is a clear difference in the two batsmen.

35 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Bavuma averages 54 with 6000 runs?? No. ABD averages 54 and he is better than Dhawan and Rohit.

Dhawan is forgotten not and nostalgia so I don't want to demean him but he was a good player, however, not a great like Kohli, ABD, Rohit, Buttler. David Warner was better than him too and probably Bairstow although that's debatable as let's see where he ends.

Everyone knows he is finished. But what he did as opener was impactful. I don't rate these accumulators like Gobar Azam, Imam ul haq.

1 hour ago, vvvslaxman said:

Everyone knows he is finished. But what he did as opener was impactful. I don't rate these accumulators like Gobar Azam, Imam ul haq.

Dhawan played unselfishly and gave us good starts. His selfless batting deserves higher respect than his batting average. And he is a classy guy - said that if he were the selector, he would pick Gill over himself. He is not at all like some(pretty much all) retired cricketers who cry about being unfairly dropped despite having been washed up for years. 

11 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

Gobar Azam is better as he played match winning knocks vs NZ and SA in the World Cup 2019 and was one of the leading run getters.

Just now, Majestic said:

Gobar Azam is better as he played match winning knocks vs NZ and SA in the World Cup 2019 and was one of the leading run getters.

Yea. when he chases low scores on easy paced track he will score. Entire 2019 world cup was on flat track. He is by and large an accumulator to t he core. Nothing else.  Dhawan can instantly take on the bowlers in power play which made the life of Rohit a lot easier.

4 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Yea. when he chases low scores on easy paced track he will score. Entire 2019 world cup was on flat track. He is by and large an accumulator to t he core. Nothing else.  Dhawan can instantly take on the bowlers in power play which made the life of Rohit a lot easier.

How can you say easy pace track when it was in winning cause? He doesn't play for a strong sde. Dhawan can take on bowling only in powerplays, he too has failures in big run chase and not a suitable death over batsman.

Gobar performed really well in that World Cup given it was his first tournament, let's give him credit where due. Imam is a minnow basher and an accumulator for sure.

10 minutes ago, Majestic said:

How can you say easy pace track when it was in winning cause? He doesn't play for a strong sde. Dhawan can take on bowling only in powerplays, he too has failures in big run chase and not a suitable death over batsman.

Gobar performed really well in that World Cup given it was his first tournament, let's give him credit where due. Imam is a minnow basher and an accumulator for sure.

So you thin Dhawan has never scored in ICC tournaments?

20 matches (CT/WC) 6 centuries 4 fifties. A century every third innings approx. A fifty every other innings.  Averaging 65 with an SR of 98. you are comparing gobar azam with him? Babar average 60 aat a strike rate of 84 with grand total of 1 century and 3 fifties.

wtetwewewetwtw.jpg

1 hour ago, vvvslaxman said:

So you thin Dhawan has never scored in ICC tournaments?

20 matches (CT/WC) 6 centuries 4 fifties. A century every third innings approx. A fifty every other innings.  Averaging 65 with an SR of 98. you are comparing gobar azam with him? Babar average 60 aat a strike rate of 84 with grand total of 1 century and 3 fifties.

wtetwewewetwtw.jpg

Where did I said that Dhawan hasn't performed in ICC tournaments? I am saying Babar > Dhawan in ODI cricket and their numbers tell us all we want to know. If Babar was complete failure in ICC tournaments like a Amla then you could compare but he has won games for his team vs major countries as well.

1 hour ago, Majestic said:

Where did I said that Dhawan hasn't performed in ICC tournaments? I am saying Babar > Dhawan in ODI cricket and their numbers tell us all we want to know. If Babar was complete failure in ICC tournaments like a Amla then you could compare but he has won games for his team vs major countries as well.

No he is not. He bullied against second string teams and minnows mostly that too on absolute roads. He looekd out of depth in challenging bouncy conditions like he did against West Indies and also suspect game against spin.

20 hours ago, SRT100 said:

I cant believe India once had Sehwag and Tendulkar opening in ODI, I regret not enjoying more at the time.

I remember first watching Sehwag and would sometimes struggle to identify who was on strike.

However the moment the shot was played, there is a clear difference in the two batsmen.

sehwag and sachin were very diff players in both ODIs and tests. tendu had to balance being both consolidator and attacker, since the 1st part of his career, he was mostly alone (with some support from azhar)

8 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

No he is not. He bullied against second string teams and minnows mostly that too on absolute roads. He looekd out of depth in challenging bouncy conditions like he did against West Indies and also suspect game against spin.

If you remove minnows, he still averages around 55@90. Our top 3 didn't do a lot of alarming stuffs either which is why we don't have ICC tournaments win since 2013. Babar is definitely better than Dhawan, who is weakest of the three. 

26 minutes ago, Majestic said:

If you remove minnows, he still averages around 55@90. Our top 3 didn't do a lot of alarming stuffs either which is why we don't have ICC tournaments win since 2013. Babar is definitely better than Dhawan, who is weakest of the three. 

based on 2019 world cup Shakib > Babar. You can't use one world cup that happened on absolute roads where every tom/dick and harry milked runs.