We should not give too much weight to India's group stage performances

dilliboy

Let's face it, India are the firm favourites for the WC - home grounds, in form team with relatively few injuries everything has worked for them in the tournament till now.

But India breezed through the group stages in 2015 and 2019 too, and in last year's T20 WC only to fall flat at the knockout stage. let's face it, until  proven otherwise, this team needs to show that it can handle the pressure of a knockout game moreso at home where everybody expects them to lift the trophy.

1 hour ago, dilliboy said:

But India breezed through the group stages in 2015 and 2019 too

In 2015, we had an easier group. Pakistan and West Indies were pathetic and our only quality win came against South Africa in the whole tournament. Even our QF was an easy tie against Bangla. 

In 2019 too the only top team we beat was Australia. We lost to England and the game against New Zealand was washed out. 

If we beat South Africa and New Zealand this time  in the group stages, it would certainly count for more than our performances in 2015 and 2019.

All these games are a dress rehearsal to pick the best playing XI for the Semi Final.

Nothing else matters but winning the Semi and Final, anything less is pure failure.

Unlike those early days when SRT played, today's Indian team have multiple ways to win the game and multiple players to achieve this. So if a player or two has a bad day its ok, it would take a collective failure to lose this WC and thats what would upset me the most.

Unlike 2019 there are a few things going well for us

1. Each position has a proper and decent back up

Pace - Shami

Opening slot - Kishan

M.O. - SKY

Our 2019 was totally derailed by Dhawan's injury, by that time we had already beaten SA and Aus. Couldn't beat Eng or NZ so signs were there.

Afghans, WI troubled our batting when RoKo didn't fire so signs were there. But we had no backups.

2. We are playing a better bowling combination. In 2019, Bhuvi over Shami was in the XI was a terrible choice.

3. Rohit has been very proactive so far, he is always looking for wickets unlike Kohli.

17 minutes ago, Number said:

Unlike 2019 there are a few things going well for us

1. Each position has a proper and decent back up

Pace - Shami

Opening slot - Kishan

M.O. - SKY

Our 2019 was totally derailed by Dhawan's injury, by that time we had already beaten SA and Aus. Couldn't beat Eng or NZ so signs were there.

Afghans, WI troubled our batting when RoKo didn't fire so signs were there. But we had no backups.

2. We are playing a better bowling combination. In 2019, Bhuvi over Shami was in the XI was a terrible choice.

3. Rohit has been very proactive so far, he is always looking for wickets unlike Kohli.

I don't think we lost the last semi final because of those factors though..the score was very average and easily chaseable had even one of the top 3 batted for more than 15 overs. Ultimately, how they handle the pressure on the day will tell especially if they have to chase a 275+ score

On the contrary I would give more weight to our performance in group stages. Winning the WC is anybody's call with performances on the day. There are many good teams that can defeat each other on any given day. 

For me group stages are a proof that captain and coach have done their job in setting the team up and giving it best chance to win. This is my expectations. Winning the cup comes down crucial moments over two days. Honestly any of the four teams can win it. 

19 minutes ago, ravishingravi said:

On the contrary I would give more weight to our performance in group stages. Winning the WC is anybody's call with performances on the day. There are many good teams that can defeat each other on any given day. 

For me group stages are a proof that captain and coach have done their job in setting the team up and giving it best chance to win. This is my expectations. Winning the cup comes down crucial moments over two days. Honestly any of the four teams can win it. 

But...team has to have the stomach to handle the high pressure games ... Only one man who could do that in indian team and that was yuvraj and we have won 2 world cups because of him...

In the current team .. i dont think anyone come close to yuvi in terms to raising to the occasion...

Its perfect team for the subcontinent conditions but i doubt...india will go pass semis