Such a blatant short ball issue -- Only after Ganguly

gakgupta

Usually after few matches, a player weaknesses will be found out...

Iyer weakness has been found out...isnt it?

But a weakness as blatant as this --- very hard to survive in intl cricket unless he figure out a way to handle it....

Only player who had such a blatant short ball weakness was ganguly....

There are other players who had this issue -- Steve Waugh, Raina, Mooen Ali, Sir Jadeja ...

He need to talk to someone (may be steve or ganguly) and figure it out quickly

Please for his sake, I hope he doesn’t talk to Ganguly, someone who was embarrassingly bad against the short ball his entire career.

Iyer looked better today. He just needs to work upon not being a compulsive puller of the ball. That is going to get anyone out. I think he’ll be fine once he works on that aspect.

Edited by MK55
9 minutes ago, MK55 said:

Please for his sake, I hope he doesn’t talk to Ganguly, someone who was embarrassingly bad against the short ball his entire career.

Iyer looked better today. He just needs to work upon not being a compulsive puller of the ball. That is going to get anyone out. I think he’ll be fine once he works on that aspect.

Yeah .. He seem to be a compulsive puller ...

He need not play at every short ball...

He can leave a few.... he can make up for those balls against spin bowling ... He is amazingly good player against spin

He just needs to figure out the 'box' for playing pull shot. Anything inside the box he should play else leave. Generally anything that is outside the line of his left shoulder should be left alone as in order to play those you need to quickly go across the stumps in Order to control the shot. 

27 minutes ago, Vijy said:

he looked very bad vs pace, as expected. should be replaced in future by proper MO bat. although sudharshan, rinku, tilak all their own issues, I would prefer to see one of them in Iyer's position

I don't see any major issues with thilak...

What are his weaknesses??

Why not jaiswal.... we can try him at 4

3 minutes ago, gakgupta said:

I don't see any major issues with thilak...

What are his weaknesses??

Why not jaiswal.... we can try him at 4

batting vs swing bowling seems a bit suspect. I would like to see jaiswal open.

Future XI for next WC could be tried as follows:

jaiswal

Gill

sudharshan [no. 2 and 3 can be swapped depending on context]

Tilak/Dhull

Pant (wk)

Tilak/Rinku

Parag --> only if he does well in Ind A first

of the top 7, parag + tilak + jasiwal can bowl 13 overs easily. remaining 37 can be bowled by 8 to 10

Edited by Vijy
19 minutes ago, ravishingravi said:

Have been saying this since 3 years. People keep telling what a great talent he is on Indian wickets and the short ball won't matter. I have been asking myself all this while. What am I missing ???

He has improved to the point where he could pull 145 k ball infront of the wicket. The one pull that he got out to came at his head at much slower speed. It was a case of not picking the right ball. He has to shed his ego and try to evade. Otherwise he has played Nortje and many other guys.

11 minutes ago, mishra said:

Pitch was keeping low. Think iyer’s ability shouldn’t be judged based on one game. His initial movement is to come on front foot snd is going to  be a problem against short ball but even Kohli goes in front foot as well

Kohli himself plaeyd some ill timed pull shots in this world cup. Seems like he had long nets against short balls. He is a natural puller. Something is bother him.

2 hours ago, Sandz said:

Ganguly still managed to have a very good ODI career, no reason why Iyer can’t do the same, it’s too late to drop him for this World Cup anyway.

Ganguly could never extend the arm fully to make a connection even once in his career. I mean he never played a shot that Iyer played against Ferguson. He connected well. Iyer's problem is avoiding of this surprise bouncers coming over head height.

13 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Ganguly could never extend the arm fully to make a connection even once in his career. I mean he never played a shot that Iyer played against Ferguson. He connected well. Iyer's problem is avoiding of this surprise bouncers coming over head height.

Good observation about the arm extension. Ganguly was genuinely afraid of the short ball lol

1 hour ago, vvvslaxman said:

Sanju samson , Dhawan, Jaiswal all 3 have this issue. When the ball comes at Shoulder height they have the tendency to hit straight up in the air.  Mostly a result of picking the wrong ball to pull. Same with Sundar.  

sundar's short ball handling was very good in 2021. it seems to have fallen off thereafter