Selfish. Arrogant.

Sooda

7 hours ago, express bowling said:

Kohli played a wonderful knock today and won us the game. It was a great innings.

But denying the single at the end sends a wrong signal about the team's goals.

It's immaterial whether our winning chance was very high or not. It is a freaking World Cup game and no importance should be given to personal milestones. 

Stats padding can be done in bilateral ODIs by those who care for such things. 

I get the feeling this attitude by the players will come back to bite them in the arse in a big game.

I agree about chasing milestones in meaningless bilateral games is fine, but to not have that killer instinct to win at all costs irrelevant of milestones is an attitude that has now permeated throughout the Indian team.

Posters are posting as if they have never seen 3-4 wickets fall inside a couple of overs for no runs. **** sometimes happens.

The mindset of the individual seems to be different to the team goals.

If this was the Final and imagine if Kohli's dismissal led to a complete collapse. Kohli would need to leave the country.

3 hours ago, Vijy said:

team's goals were to win. we would have won anyway. I will have a big issue with kohli if he does this in a tight game, but when he went for that 6, it was no longer a tight game. shami could have finished it in 1 ball if he so desired - a six, and all over

One of the team's goals should be to promote a brand of cricket which does not give any importance to personal milestones atleast in WC matches and other big tournaments. 

Once this mindset of taking care of personsal milestones seeps in, it can affect the players in more crunch games or closer games too. Mindset is not something that can be switched on or off according to the situation.

In the last game, Rahul slowed down to help Kohli reach his century when lots of runs were left. So, this mindset definitely exists. 

Look at Daryll Mitchell yesterday. He was dominating our bowling attack. But he slowed down before his century and that was the foot in the door we needed to get back in the game. NZ players go after personal milestones too and suffer as a result. 

Edited by express bowling
3 minutes ago, express bowling said:

In the last game, Rahul slowed down to help Kohli reach his century when lots of runs were left. So, this mindset definitely exists. 

Changing the way you play to because of an irrelevant external variable is just madness.

You are correct this will become a part of the players psyche moving forward.

Run outs, not taking singles and rotating strike, in many ways disrespecting the opposition, this all then becomes part and parcel of Indian Cricket.

Im not bashing Kohli either, Tendulkar had this mindset of century at all costs, when he was approaching his century, he would always would slow down and be careful with his approach, only because of the century not because of anything else. He placed his personal milestone ahead of the game at hand.

1 hour ago, SRT100 said:

I get the feeling this attitude by the players will come back to bite them in the arse in a big game.

Can happen. 

1 hour ago, SRT100 said:

I agree about chasing milestones in meaningless bilateral games is fine, but to not have that killer instinct to win at all costs irrelevant of milestones is an attitude that has now permeated throughout the Indian team.

Ideally, I would like this mindset of ignoring  personal milestones even in bilateral ODIs. 

But such games have lower viewership and the only thing that increases spectator interest is their favourite batsmen reaching a 100 or 200. 

On this thread, all I see is a bunch of folks, who had written the team off before the WC, whining because their so called predictions are not coming true. 

Go back just a couple of months back, Dravid, Mahambreay, KL Rahul, Iyer, Jadeja, Shami, and of course Rohit and Kohli were called the worst of names by these so called "Indian Cricket Fans", many of them I see have been on ICF for over a decade and more. Because these whiners have not gotten any opportunity to attack the team since the Asia Cup, they are just finding one or two minor issues and blowing them up because they have gotten used to wallowing in sadness and negativity. What a sad existence for this bunch.

May they continue to feel more pain and keep being sad with imaginary scenarios. India may or may not win the WC but at least I and a few others on the forum will have the satisfaction of having fully supported the team.

54 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Can happen. 

Ideally, I would like this mindset of ignoring  personal milestones even in bilateral ODIs. 

But such games have lower viewership and the only thing that increases spectator interest is their favourite batsmen reaching a 100 or 200. 

There is a time and place to achieve milestones and experiment, in the middle of WC is not that time.

To not fully comprehend what Kohli and KL did, is really deep insight into how some do not understand nor appreciate the mental/psychologic aspect of the game.

Players should be playing as a team and not as individuals, all that should matter is winning the game as quickly as possible to ensure a better NRR.

Encouraging the milestone at possibly the team's cost in a WC tournament is madness.

Of course India was going to win, its not the issue, its the principal. Only astute posters can full comprehend and grasp this basic concept.

Edited by SRT100

1: Just because he refused to take a single in a match where 5 runs were needed of 15 odd balls with a set batsman at the other end, doesn’t imply that he’s going to do the same in a knockout match or under tighter scenarios. What’s considered tight is subjective. A batter who’s confident n positive would think the match was done n dusted. 

2: What’s more aggressive? Taking singles and reaching the target in an ultra safe manner or bossing the opposition? And no, he did not slow down by any means. He kept looking for boundaries and managed that every time except the wicket ball. He was certainly more capable and likely to hit boundaries than the batter at the other end.

3: No evidence of Indian batsmen ‘slowing down’ ( in recent times) in a selfish attempt to reach a hundred without getting out. There’s a difference between taking strike, hitting boundaries in a totally winnable situation vs what Daryl Michel did. That was criminal.

Edited by MK55
22 minutes ago, bones said:

I will truly rejoice the day when a batsman scores a hundred and doesn't even bother to celebrate. The thought of a batsman scoring a double hundred and not celebrating just makes me hard.

I absolutely hate these stats about hundreds scored. A more meaningful stat is how many runs does a player score when his team is 4 down under 50 etc.

I think the fans, the media and the sponsors, need to note the innings thats most valued is the one thats played in tough challenging circumstances.

For example, Kohli's innings yesterday which wasnt a century was much more invaluable then the century he scored a few days earlier.

The opponent and the batting conditions also need to be a considered here as well.

2 hours ago, bones said:

I will truly rejoice the day when a batsman scores a hundred and doesn't even bother to celebrate. The thought of a batsman scoring a double hundred and not celebrating just makes me hard.

I absolutely hate these stats about hundreds scored. A more meaningful stat is how many runs does a player score when his team is 4 down under 50 etc.

Spot on. It is ingrained in our psyche. And as much as I despise the focus on such landmarks, I often catch myself seeing someone on 80+, then doing other things, and coming back wondering if he got his century. Plus, I've never played competitive cricket, so I don't fully understand the pressure that someone faces in that position.

Here's to more glorious Kohli knocks that lead India to wins and a title. He, more than anyone else, has chased down totals and won ODI matches with his bat for India. It'll be fun to watch him do the same in this WC's KOs matches! 

22 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Totally agree with the OP. In fact the signs of it was evident when KL let him score 30 runs to reach his 100. Refusing singles when the target was in sight is the worst. If they had taken out Jadeja even 4 runs was in danger for the 4 No 11s

If your opposition has an express bowler like Ferguson,Wood,Rauf

Huge chance of your 4 no.11s getting knocked out in 1 over

5 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Totally agree with the OP. In fact the signs of it was evident when KL let him score 30 runs to reach his 100. Refusing singles when the target was in sight is the worst. If they had taken out Jadeja even 4 runs was in danger for the 4 No 11s

Correct.

Thats exactly my point, I cannot believe the ignorance on here where some posters believed our last 3 or 4 batsmen could score the last few runs needed.

Its like they have never watched or understood cricket to know how fragile our batting order can be for the bowlers and also how easily a bowling team can take wickets for little to no runs.

Refusing to take singles for a milestone which was placed ahead of an Indian victory is all that is wrong with the Madness of Indian Cricket.