Both on paper and form - RSA looks like a much more dangerous team than India and most likely semi final match ups.

Another game - another near 400 score by RSA. 

Is this unprecedented? I guess so. 

Unlike India they have GUN hitters all the way till NO.7.  The probability of at least 2 of them firing full tilt and taking away the game is very  high 

If we have a say in preparing pitches and are pitted against them - I don’t think we will lay out a batting track for South Africa. 

i think if we are going to play them in a knockout - the track will be a bowling track. 

It seems almost certain that unless something strange happens - Pak and Eng are out of the tournament. 

Aus will finish 4 and we will play Aus in Wankhede. 

NZ will face RSA at Eden. 

Playing Aus at Wankhede won’t be easy at all against Starc and Cummins. 

If we get over this hurdle and face RSA at Namo stadium in Ahmedabad - it seems increasingly likely that we will need atleast 1 pitch that is not batting friendly but more spin friendly to blunt RSA. 

SA lost on second inns. They are highly dependant on De Cock and their spin attack is almost an average. 

To win against them, Get the batting first . Score 320 and they will crumble.

However, if they get bat first, then we have to restrict them below 300. On pressure match , India might not cross 300. 

man, you're such a fattu.

India have better bowling and batting than SA.  

I'd rather that India rest Boom for the SA game coming up, and still expect to win the game.  Yes, SA is slightly better with 'power hitting', but they are also less solid against quality bowling - did you forget that they shat themselves against Netherlands bowling?  

8 minutes ago, Sooda said:

Better, yes... more powerful.. (which is more important these days in LOIs)... no

India compensate it with excellent bowling. Attacking indian bowling surely mean losing your wicket. It is not sustainable. Only weak link is Shardul. if hardik is not fully fit then he can be liability in bowling. if you think that they can score 350 runs against india then probability of it is very low. If three of our bowlers had bad day then onlypossible. It also means that the pitch is flat and then we have enough batting power to match them. other than Rahul, all of our batsman can achieve strike rate of 150.

24 minutes ago, sandeep said:

man, you're such a fattu.

India have better bowling and batting than SA.  

I'd rather that India rest Boom for the SA game coming up, and still expect to win the game.  Yes, SA is slightly better with 'power hitting', but they are also less solid against quality bowling - did you forget that they shat themselves against Netherlands bowling?  

The better bowling will count for very little if the pitch is a total pata track. 

and RSA is far better with power hitting not slightly better. Almost everytime they come to bat it is a 350+ score.  Right before the WC they did the same in RSA against Aus, so it’s not a recent phenomenon. Did you follow that series ? 

No team in history has hammered 350+ scores almost every other game. 

They had an off day against Netherlands - it was a one off and that’s our best hope - the other is a bowling pitch. 

we cannot match them on a batting track. 

17 minutes ago, Sooda said:

Better, yes... more powerful.. (which is more important these days in LOIs)... no

Ultimately thats all subjective, all that will matter is the team score on the board.  

I think folks don't want to let themselves get too excited with India's dominance thus far, and are looking for reasons to stay grounded - and exaggerating the SA threat in the process.  

SA are good. I believe we are just as good, slightly better in fact.  Of course, with 2 good teams, either one can win - a close game, or a dominant one.  

I do not agree that SA is much more 'powerful' than our team.  They may have more guys who can slog 6s, but we have more guys who can hit good bowling for boundaries at lower risk.  Overall, its a great matchup and a fascinating contest.  

We will not see them in finals, nz team is very clinical in their approach. It'll be a close match and Nz has more clutch players

India just needs to stay on the top and prepare for Aus. Zampa is back in form and Travis head will join the team next week. So Aussies will be much more powerful than in the first match. Hopefully Rohit will see through Hazelwood's initial spell 

3 minutes ago, sandeep said:

I disagree.

You can disagree but there is nothing on evidence that shows we can. They are hammering 350 plus for fun, almost every game. 

Agreed we have chased all games and not gotten a chance to show what scores we can pile up if we bat 50 overs. But one cannot extrapolate using one versus another. They have a mindset to score 350+ every game and have the ability to back it up. 

And Not saying we can’t beat them - I am still thinking we will beat them with smart planning around our bowling. 

But one a flat batting track in a one off knock out  game - it is going to be extremely tough and also requires rub of the green in a big way 

Our best bet is a bowling friendly track. 

Only Bowler I worried about is Santner from NZ. For some reason, our batsman are frozen like deer on headlight. He is not something like Murli or Warnie. There is mental blockage against him. He exctly know how to keep indians quite. 

I am not worried about anything against south africa, except for the incoming delivery from Rabada which will strike rohit below the knee roll and the umpires finger will go up.. rohit will review but the ball will hit the leg stump either 2 reds and one yellow or 3 reds and we will collectively sigh.. the million dollar question is can Rohit by that time score a 60 off 46 or will be out scoring 7 off 4.. the game will be decided on that if we chase..

Edited by neel roy

@sandeep  - The manner in which RSA has been mauling teams is frightening.

Pls answer this for me - If you agree that RSA batting is far more potent than NZ.

How much would RSA have potentially / hypothetically scored in Dharamashala against us on that track . Easily 320+ ?

Would we have been able to chase that against their bowling ? 

Edited by rangeelaraja

Since 1979 Other than Aus in 2007 no one has won the world cup undefeated.. India were pretty good in 2011 but still lost to SAF and tied with England.. Can anyone now believe in 2003 KENYA with odubmbe, obuya bros, tikolo, martin suji halwa, hitesh modi, ravi shah et al  actually reached the 2003 wc semi final ahead of PAKISTAN,ENGLAND,WEST INDIES,SOUTH AFRICA,NEW ZEALAND.. and that in other SF Srilanka only needed 171 in 38 overs with perhaps their best batting line up of jayasurya, tillekratne, attapatu, aravinda desilva, sangakkara, jayawardane and our fav commentator Russel Arnold coming at no 8.. but still failed miserably.. cricket is a game of uncertainties..so dont read too much into Ned beating SAF.. which they already had done in t20 wc..

9 minutes ago, neel roy said:

Since 1979 Other than Aus in 2007 no one has won the world cup undefeated.. India were pretty good in 2011 but still lost to SAF and tied with England.. Can anyone now believe in 2003 KENYA with odubmbe, obuya bros, tikolo, martin suji halwa, hitesh modi, ravi shah et al  actually reached the 2003 wc semi final ahead of PAKISTAN,ENGLAND,WEST INDIES,SOUTH AFRICA,NEW ZEALAND.. and that in other SF Srilanka only needed 171 in 38 overs with perhaps their best batting line up of jayasurya, tillekratne, attapatu, aravinda desilva, sangakkara, jayawardane and our fav commentator Russel Arnold coming at no 8.. but still failed miserably.. cricket is a game of uncertainties..so dont read too much into Ned beating SAF.. which they already had done in t20 wc..

Aus were undefeated in 2003 too.

From 2003 to 2007 - Aus did not lose a single WC game .

1 hour ago, Nash said:

Only Bowler I worried about is Santner from NZ. For some reason, our batsman are frozen like deer on headlight. He is not something like Murli or Warnie. There is mental blockage against him. He exctly know how to keep indians quite. 

He is a winning mentaltiy bowler who has learned for years under MSD and champion set up at CSK. There is a reason we struggle against him

1 minute ago, IndiaWC8311 said:

He is a winning mentaltiy bowler who has learned for years under MSD and champion set up at CSK. There is a reason we struggle against him

We struggle against all SLAs.. Wellalage caught us pants down, kuhnemann won a test against us, so did herath..we couldnt hit out against Imad Wasim and scored 10 runs off his 2 overs in wt20 in 2021..santner killed us in 2016 wt20and even reccently in windies we struggled against akeal hossain..also we dont have a left hander like Pant who can give nightmares to SLAs like he did to jack leach.. so the moot point is we have to play him carefully..