Our last big fear this WC: Can we chase 330 in a knockout?

Everything seems to be clicking and coming together for India. Our achilees heel will be if someone wins the toss and bats first and posts 300+. Can we take that score down? 

We will need big contributions from everyone obviously but I am worried with KL going back into his shell after a surprising display first game vs Aus. It's really on Kohli, Gill and Rohit. 

2 matches and the cup is yours. Bring it home boys. 

3 minutes ago, Dil Dil India said:

Everything seems to be clicking and coming together for India. Our achilees heel will be if someone wins the toss and bats first and posts 300+. Can we take that score down? 

We will need big contributions from everyone obviously but I am worried with KL going back into his shell after a surprising display first game vs Aus. It's really on Kohli, Gill and Rohit. 

it's on Ro and Ko again. Gill can only score flashy 20s in important matches. doesn't have that steel

1 minute ago, rangeelaraja said:

Change the subject of the thread to

Our last big fear this WC: Can we chase 330 in a knockout if we lose Rohit and Kohli within the 1st 10 overs ? 

The answer is VERY VERY doubtful.

Rohit and Kohli is 70 % of our batting. 

I would say 80-85%. I don't trust gill and iyer in big matches, kela and SKY even less so

Just now, Vijy said:

we can't rule it out. even in 2003, 2015, we did very well on bowling front and lost it in KOs

Lol no. You cannot compare.

2015 I keep saying was not that big of an achievement. Only SA win was good. Our group was weak and we had Bang in the QFs. Had been losing heavily in tri series before WC as well as warm up and lost heavily again in the SF.

2003 was good but even then was smashed by Aus in group stage. That was some decent bowlers performing over their level (2011 ofc). 2023 this is their level. Bumrah, Shami and Kuldeep have around 150 wickets at sub 25 average. Siraj too but lower sample size. Jaddu has always been tight and economical.

1 minute ago, Vijy said:

NZ has a chance in principle. ravindra, conway, kane, mitchell are all v. good bats.

Yeah they are good I'll admit that especially on a flattish wicket batting first. Let's see. If they do it, well played to them. Hopefully curator makes it low and slow.

That Wankhede semi is the danger. Pak in Eden is actually easier :p:. Hopefully by some miracle Afg in Wankhede.

2 minutes ago, deathmonger said:

Lol no. You cannot compare.

2015 I keep saying was not that big of an achievement. Only SA win was good. Our group was weak and we had Bang in the QFs. Had been losing heavily in tri series before WC as well as warm up and lost heavily again in the SF.

2003 was good but even then was smashed by Aus in group stage. That was some decent bowlers performing over their level (2011 ofc). 2023 this is their level. Bumrah, Shami and Kuldeep have around 150 wickets at sub 25 average. Siraj too but lower sample size. Jaddu has always been tight and economical.

I was speaking about a specific matter, namely, that 2003 & 2015 did not concede a lot of runs in any games until they buckled under pressure in KOs

Just now, deathmonger said:

Yeah they are good I'll admit that especially on a flattish wicket batting first. Let's see. If they do it, well played to them. Hopefully curator makes it low and slow.

That Wankhede semi is the danger. Pak in Eden is actually easier :p:. Hopefully by some miracle Afg in Wankhede.

yes, all of the 4 I mentioned are in excellent form: conway, kane, rachin, and mitchell. then they have the hitting offered by santner, philips, chapman, neesham ,etc

3 minutes ago, Vijy said:

I was speaking about a specific matter, namely, that 2003 & 2015 did not concede a lot of runs in any games until they buckled under pressure in KOs

2015 did not concede cause of weak opposition. would have conceded a lot if we were in the other group. No way 30 overs of Mohit Sharma and Ashwin-Jadeja outside Asia could win you a match against Aus-NZ.

2003 bowled brilliantly yes - the pace attack especially but crumbled against Aus but then again that Aus team had an aura (and were defending champions) and had walloped Ind in group stage (along with everyone else to the finals). Don't think anything of that sort this time cause all the potential contenders have already been walloped by this Indian team many times.

Edited by deathmonger
17 minutes ago, Dil Dil India said:

We might have to wonder about this forever cause we'll never actually witness it

2 minutes ago, Vijy said:

yes, all of the 4 I mentioned are in excellent form: conway, kane, rachin, and mitchell. then they have the hitting offered by santner, philips, chapman, neesham ,etc

Yes their bowling is a bit mediocre especially with Henry out now.

But batting 2nd under lights at the Wankhede against Boult Southee with scoreboard pressure might lead to issues. Hope that doesn't happen. :pray: