Our last big fear this WC: Can we chase 330 in a knockout?

5 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Yeah, it's wrong. 330 in KOs is like chasing 400 on regular days. 

Australia chased down 286 in a quarter final, in 1996. 286 back then is like 330 these days, no? 

You just need one run a ball century from top order and then one impact cameo from your 5/6 to chase down 330.. even in a knockouts I don't think that's unreasonable. Quite hard, but not impossible. Plenty of run a ball centuries and quick cameos happened in big Matches 

Just now, Serpico said:

Australia chased down 286 in a quarter final, in 1996. 286 back then is like 330 these days, no? 

You just need one run a ball century from top order and then one impact cameo from your 5/6 to chase down 330.. even in a knockouts I don't think that's unreasonable. Quite hard, but not impossible. Plenty of run a ball centuries and quick cameos happened in big Matches 

Aise to nothing is impossible. 

KOs have extra pressure and usually top teams in tournaments trying their best with their best available team combination. All these factors are not present together in other scenario.

1 hour ago, putrevus said:

People have blamed Indian batting for failing to chase 330 plus against Pakistan for years.

If they were 310 allout chasing the total, no one would have blamed them. How can bog total be an excuse if your top order fails to survive the new ball burst. 2019 proved again that the large total wasn't the problem, our best batsmen just didn't show up in the big match 

4 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Aise to nothing is impossible. 

KOs have extra pressure and usually top teams in tournaments trying their best with their best available team combination. All these factors are not present together in other scenario.

Yeah I'll not blame any batsmen failing big chase in KO, if they atleast try to get close. Its when Sachin 2003/Ro-Ko 2015 happen, it feels heartbreaking

12 minutes ago, Serpico said:

If they were 310 allout chasing the total, no one would have blamed them. How can bog total be an excuse if your top order fails to survive the new ball burst. 2019 proved again that the large total wasn't the problem, our best batsmen just didn't show up in the big match 

If they scored 310 they would have scored those remaining runs.Once guys like Kohli/Rohit get start more or less they take it home.

Failing in one match or two matches does not mean they did not show up.White ball swings early in the innings and every batsmen is vulnerable.Rohit Sharma or Kohli did not become bad batsmen just for that finals/semifinals

If Kohli's call was not given in 2019 , it would have stayed not out.India was winning that match.

Sachin scored how many runs in 2011 finals again ? He had backup who could take India home. Does it mean Sachin and Sehwag did not showup in 2011 finals.

Edited by putrevus
3 minutes ago, putrevus said:

If they scored 310 they would have scored those remaining runs.Once guys like Kohli/Rohit get start more of less they take it home.

Failing in one match or two matches does not mean they did not show up.White ball swings early in the innings and every batsmen is vulnerable.Rohit Sharma or Kohli did not become bad batsmen just for that finals/semifinals

If Kohli's call was not given in 2019 , it would have stayed not out.India was winning that match.

Sachin scored how many runs in 2011 finals again ? He had backup who could take India home. Does it mean Sachin and Sehwag did not showup in 2011 finals.

But Sachin and Sehwag didn't show up in that final. That's what everyone says. If Sachin scored well in that innings, literally no critic would have anything to say abt him, his reputation would have been spotless. So yeah big match failures will always affect people's perception 

10 minutes ago, Serpico said:

Yeah I'll not blame any batsmen failing big chase in KO, if they atleast try to get close. Its when Sachin 2003/Ro-Ko 2015 happen, it feels heartbreaking

I also blamed Sachin a lot for not showing up in 2003 finals on a flat pitch.But as time progressed , I understood what he was trying to do there.Lot of things need to go right when chasing those huge totals in KOs.

1 minute ago, Serpico said:

But Sachin and Sehwag didn't show up in that final. That's what everyone says. If Sachin scored well in that innings, literally no critic would have anything to say abt him, his reputation would have been spotless. So yeah big match failures will always affect people's perception 

Perception is very easy thing but reality is different.New ball swings and batsman no matter how great you are have a chance to get out.

Should Kohli have been good enough to overcome that new ball in 2017 and 2019.Answer is yes.

41 minutes ago, putrevus said:

I also blamed Sachin a lot for not showing up in 2003 finals on a flat pitch.But as time progressed , I understood what he was trying to do there.Lot of things need to go right when chasing those huge totals in KOs.

No. He needed to stay as long as possible to give confidence to others. RRR can be made up later on.

On 11/5/2023 at 10:38 AM, Dil Dil India said:

250 is the highest I would be comfortable chasing in a knockout. Even 280 would be hard. We nearly fluffed the game vs Aus chasing 200.

we don't deserve to win, if we are not chasing 280. Did not india chase 274 in 2011 final? All the mental scars are because of 2019 SF against NZ.

It rained over night before Indias innings when india was set to cruise chasing 240. Despite the early collapse India were 70/3 in 20 overs. Its just the brain fade of pandya and hardily throwing it away instead of taking the game deep that cost india the match, in addition to Dhonis sluggish innings which ended as failure.

1983 India won defending 183 in England. pak was bundled out for 132 in 1999 final. Eng has traditionally been bowler friendly ..

Cut to present SEMIS

wankhadee anything between 280-300 is chasable. Eden gardens too .

We have surya, Rohit who grew up on wankahedee ...... KL Rahul and shreyas ayyar form decent middle order followed by x-factor of surya and Jadeja. 

There is no way kohli is bottling it out this time , specially after his new found calmness and self awareness post comeback. I am banking on Kohli to bail us out in Semis this time.

11 hours ago, diga said:

It does happen once in a blue moon though.. remember Ind-Pak in Bangladesh where Ganguly scored that match winning century

1998 to be precise, 324 were chased with rushikesh kanithkar scoring 4 off saqlain. It also happened in 2002 natwest  final.

Highest knock out chase in worldcup history is  286 chased by Aus against NZ in 1996 QF knock out in Chennai followed by India chasing 274 in 2011 final. So INDIA should be comfortable chasing 280-290, nothing out of reach. 300+ would be difficult.