Who is India's best ever ODI spinner?

Majestic

8 hours ago, Lord said:

Its a bit tough to compare with ever changing rules among other things.

Ashwin/Jaddu would have been permanent and maybe greats with older rules.

I hope Kuldeep ends up as our greatest. Its only a mental thing for him.

Spinners were the most impacted due to change in rule and also introduction of T20. Thought process was different back then during the middle overs. KL Rahul showed us in the final how spinners would have been played in the middle overs during the 90s. They can safely get away with cheap overs. 

On 11/29/2023 at 8:36 AM, Vijy said:

I want to throw in a completely random, yet partly justified, name in the mix. Nikhil Chopra - he was more effective than Jumbo in the late 90s, and could have continued to do alright.

He could also bat a bit. Came in to the team because of issues with Bhajji's bowling action. But his own bowling action got questioned, and after the Turbanator series of 2001, it was curtains for Chopra. He was also implicated in the match fixing scandal of 2001. From even far back in the time machine, Maninder Singh was a spin bowler who served the team well. He bowled economically and had the respect of opposition batsmen.

One and one and only and only Anil Kumble. Take a time machine.. go back to 1990s.. every single match we are getting hammered in first 10 overs.. srinath prasad  prabhakar and every single time indian crowd asking for kumble.. go back to those days when time after time anil kumble gave us the breakthroughs.. against pak in wc qf it was he and not prasad who gave us the main breakthrough by getting the dangerous india nemesis Anwar for 32 ball 48. Sohail played much slower 46 ball 56.. then the titan cup final. Got 4/25. Got our nemesis gary kirsten, jonty rhodes.. I remembered we would have lost the match even if saf were 7/96 chasing 220 because of pat symcox tonking us and at one stage they were 7 for 185 odd and only 35 off 60 balls required.. symcox batting on 46.. and then kumble comes back takes him out and saf wrapped up in 4 balls.. go back to hero cup final 6/12. I mean no indian bowler forget spinner has won us so many important matches and trophies as anil kumble has done..india s best odi spinner ever.. 337 wickets 4.30 economy rate.. is there even any doubt..

On 11/29/2023 at 8:36 AM, Vijy said:

I want to throw in a completely random, yet partly justified, name in the mix. Nikhil Chopra - he was more effective than Jumbo in the late 90s, and could have continued to do alright.

Let me throw another name post Bhajji and pre Ash era.

Amit Mishra