AI discussion thread

Trichromatic

The bizarre Sam Altman Open AI Microsoft Open AI stuff?  Bizarre.

But, for someone like me who is a biologist, the whole concept of AI itself and how it works is just unfathomable. But at least I see the application possibilities.

But this whole block-chain / crypto stuff is totally bizarre ... how they are linked? Why are all those transactions valuable? Who decides? What is mining? What are you looking for? Who tells you what to look for? Why? How does it help anyone?

17 hours ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

The bizarre Sam Altman Open AI Microsoft Open AI stuff?  Bizarre.

But, for someone like me who is a biologist, the whole concept of AI itself and how it works is just unfathomable. But at least I see the application possibilities.

But this whole block-chain / crypto stuff is totally bizarre ... how they are linked? Why are all those transactions valuable? Who decides? What is mining? What are you looking for? Who tells you what to look for? Why? How does it help anyone?

Fields like Epigenetics, CRISPR and Synthetic Biology are also equally bizzare and unfathomable to us. We'll be pretty soon living in the age of exponential returns. It means technology will finally advance to a stage where rate of technological advancements happened in the last 100 years would happen in a single day. In future we will be living in trans humanist societies where we transcend the limits of human Biology.

Edited by Tillu

1 hour ago, Trichromatic said:

Do you think we are close to achieving AGI?

The initial timeline given for achieving AGIis 2040. Now people are speculating that we might achieve AGI by the end of this decade. And then within two years ASI might be achieved. The age of Singularity is near.

Edited by Tillu

I have spoken to many technology experts. Read articles and followed closely the views of those few geniuses who are on cutting edge of technology. 

My guess is that at Open AI they have hit on something dangerous. This whole board room battle is around that. We will know in time. Hopefully. But the future is already here in those closed rooms. 

9 hours ago, Trichromatic said:

What happened to his fears and risks? Couldn't have gone away in a day.

The bottom line is fear and risk are being overplayed. There are no limits to this, and it will go unchecked whether we like it or not. It is like nuclear energy, better have it now and sit on top of the table. 

17 hours ago, ravishingravi said:

Or so he says. 

Maybe he feels like he can keep a better eye on things from the inside?  Maybe he is not as straight-up as perceived? We'll never know because there are no replicated, scientific data here to analyze and reach conclusions. Just our perceptions based on internet reports and interviews.

AI and SM algorithms - Pretty much reality. After a few clicks and following - I get only one-sided view hits on X, YT etc.  usecases of present day generative AI. This sh1t can do anything already. Scary future

Listen in at 25:45 how SnapCHAT  now has a chapGPT based chat buddy who can advise a 13-yr old on matters like sex!! 

Edited by coffee_rules