Animal - FTW or WTF (Spoilers ahead)

ravishingravi

On 12/15/2023 at 1:57 AM, ravishingravi said:

So I had a chance to see the film again. In first viewing I was literally in state of shock and amazement. Nothing seems conventional.  Few thoughts. 

1) Ranbir performance is one of the very best I have seen in a very long period of time. It's such a difficult role of an outlier middle age warrior caught in modern world. He has to be eccentric but not ham. Right out of James Cagney school of acting. Master at his work.  

2) film has godfather structure with the most stream of consciousness writing in the head of Alpha male. In french they would call "auteur". It's truly expressionism. 

3) Basically the film is a series of skits and ideas which don't really tell a coherent story. But more interestingly director doesn't seem interested in telling the story. He seems more interested in characters. 

4). Some ideas that I noted - Directors admiration for nihangs or sardar warrior race as a part of Hindu ethos, natural selection vs convention based coupling, clearing up on Swastika, Atmanitbhar Bharat, man as protector , extra marital affair - pros and cons, multiple marriage customs in Islam, denouncing missionary mad preachers, Fathers and sons, self arming ( esp Hindus ) 

5) Film trailer actually just decieved the genre. It's not pasta. It's anti pasta. Whole film is full of genre subversion and indulgence of the director. Director is not interested in story structure. This is about his world view. By and large. It's stream of consciousness writing. 

This is a character driven story. The character is grey and some times downright evil. 

On 12/15/2023 at 1:49 PM, Gollum said:

Dangerous movie for our society. Hated it from start to finish, will judge people who are fans of such sick, gory, misogynistic stuff.

The Ranbir character itself borders on evil. Treat it as a story.  

I liked the Joker movie. Does not mean that I will go an killing my mother, my colleagues and random policemen.

8 hours ago, cowboysfan said:

I am better off watching Indian politicians being a dick on TV,no need to to a theatre and watch Ranbir.

There is a sequel planned as well - Animal Park. The director plans to buy 200 truck loads of tomato ketchup for it is going to be bigger, eviler and bloodier than this movie!! The next  villain is going  make his “papa” trip and push him down and RK is going to wipe out a pincode!!

On 12/24/2023 at 2:33 PM, kepler37b said:

This is a character driven story. The character is grey and some times downright evil. 

In fact the character was an outlier. A martial man from another time where disputes were settled different, when men had a different, when power was brut strength. Imagine a man like this born in todays times. How out of place would such a primordia man be if he were born today. Literally like character out of Mahabharata, talks about doing Swayamvar of his sister. 

5 hours ago, ravishingravi said:

In fact the character was an outlier. A martial man from another time where disputes were settled different, when men had a different, when power was brut strength. Imagine a man like this born in todays times. How out of place would such a primordia man be if he were born today. Literally like character out of Mahabharata, talks about doing Swayamvar of his sister. 

Unhinged masculinity. 

The scene where he walks naked in his house. When you recover fully from all the debilitating health issues, happiness turns into insanity, and he walks naked.  The scene is so apt. Stunned by  the uncaged animal  that ranbir acted as. 

Of course, if you love the yash chopra romantic tales, this will movie will give you hypertension. Better keep away.

He’s out to be contrarian. This is what triggered the LeLis quite an about the movie.

On 12/15/2023 at 8:47 PM, ravishingravi said:

I dont like Sandeep's movies but I find it refreshing that atleast it is authentic. Thats his world view and I am happy to disagree but its refreshing that someone is willing to put himsef at out there inspite of the cost and risk involved. 

The problem with that is the more you suck in this kind of sh!t the more you lose probably the best in you - which is the ability to see good in the world, or more importantly others. Then the youth is also extremely influenced & heavily you could argue manipulated by such "mixed messages" & you can't tell me movies like Sholay, DDLJ, 3 idiots & many more didn't change our society! Now you could argue that did they have a material impact over the decades or not but this will IMO negatively influence a lot of youth, not that the internet is any better but really if you want to make a better society this cannot go on.

https://abc7chicago.com/aiden-fucci-trial-sentencing-tristyn-bailey/13006469

"This was not done out of greed, it was not done in retaliation, retribution, or revenge, it was not a crime of passion, it was not a crime that was committed because he felt rejected by her. It was not done in a fit of uncontrollable anger. There was no reason. There was no purpose," he went on. "It was done for no other reason than to satisfy this defendant's internal desire to feel what it was like to kill someone."

50 minutes ago, R!TTER said:

The problem with that is the more you suck in this kind of sh!t the more you lose probably the best in you - which is the ability to see good in the world, or more importantly others. Then the youth is also extremely influenced & heavily you could argue manipulated by such "mixed messages" & you can't tell me movies like Sholay, DDLJ, 3 idiots & many more didn't change our society! Now you could argue that did they have a material impact over the decades or not but this will IMO negatively influence a lot of youth, not that the internet is any better but really if you want to make a better society this cannot go on.

https://abc7chicago.com/aiden-fucci-trial-sentencing-tristyn-bailey/13006469

"This was not done out of greed, it was not done in retaliation, retribution, or revenge, it was not a crime of passion, it was not a crime that was committed because he felt rejected by her. It was not done in a fit of uncontrollable anger. There was no reason. There was no purpose," he went on. "It was done for no other reason than to satisfy this defendant's internal desire to feel what it was like to kill someone."

At some point one needs to provide an actual example with clear data on how a movie actually influences society and human behavior. People fighting every day on news channel and soap operas / big boss reality shows apparently do as much damage as films. I really would like to know what is behind this intuition. 

Just watched this abomination of a movie and had to vent somewhere.

Now I dont know what's more cringe ... the crappy movie that i just watched or the pukeworthy glorification OP gave it in their initial post. :giggle: 

35 minutes ago, Norman said:

Just watched this abomination of a movie and had to vent somewhere.

Now I dont know what's more cringe ... the crappy movie that i just watched or the pukeworthy glorification OP gave it in their initial post. :giggle: 

Go for it. Also feel free to show the  glorification you spotted .

48 minutes ago, ravishingravi said:

Go for it. Also feel free to show the  glorification you spotted .

Using adjectives like "Beyond grammar" , "mind boggling" , "extraordinary" , "jaw dropping" etc etc for a chapri cringefest garbage of a movie is the text book definition of glorification. I'm sorry but I like to say it as it is ..

48 minutes ago, Norman said:

Using adjectives like "Beyond grammar" , "mind boggling" , "extraordinary" , "jaw dropping" etc etc for a chapri cringefest garbage of a movie is the text book definition of glorification. I'm sorry but I like to say it as it is ..

Sure you can say it as it is but your "texbook" doesn't seem updated. But please feel free to be triggered.

1 hour ago, ravishingravi said:

Sure you can say it as it is but your "texbook" doesn't seem updated. But please feel free to be triggered.

"Triggered" lol..

I'm pretty sure a random ass Bollywood movie would be at the bottom of the list of things that "triggers" me but nevermind..

The opinions are pretty divided even on SM. People who ask Why, there are equally asking why not! He is inspired of the Tarantino/John wick type action movies, but he is trying to push the extreme In social situations . telling a girl, you have a nice pelvis! Really? Buzurg log ke liye naheen n shayad? 

finally watched it having avoided all reviews. still havent read this thread. i really enjoyed it.

i loved the scene in the airplane, two newlyweds, with no pilots. you knew from that moment it was going to be tarantinoesque. that scene was a delicious nod to strap in and enjoy the ride. from that moment i was smiling and glued all the way through

i enjoyed the whole father son thing.

tripti dimri is stunning.

ranbir and rashmika acting was super

one criticism. slightly too much tomato ketchup especially right at the end. skillful directors use power of suggestion to communicate a gore and blood. here it was all too literal.

the controversy should not be the film itself. but the fact it was packaged like a bollywood film when really it isn't anything of the sort.

My main grouse with director Vanga was that every scene with Rashmika and Ranbir is  forced to be outrageous , their first scene in her engagement is established to say she is subordinate to him (pelvis comment) , kiss in front of her conservative family, the church scene where she confronts him and falls for his supposedly romantic gesture is cringe, director has no idea how marriage or couples work. Chutiya hain sala. 

4 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

My main grouse with director Vanga was that every scene with Rashmika and Ranbir is  forced to be outrageous , their first scene in her engagement is established to say she is subordinate to him (pelvis comment) , kiss in front of her conservative family, the church scene where she confronts him and falls for his supposedly romantic gesture is cringe, director has no idea how marriage or couples work. Chutiya hain sala. 

she left him after he slept with another woman. arguably the most accurate portrayal of relationships ever seen in bollywood