RANJI TROPHY |2023/24|

Suhaan

Ranji Trophy 2023/24 Overview:

The 89th edition of the Ranji Trophy, India's premier first-class cricket tournament, features 38 teams in four elite groups and a plate group. Running from January 5th to March 14th, 2024, the tournament showcases thrilling double round-robin matches, leading to knockout stages.

Current Standings:

1. Elite Group A: Vidarbha leads with 23 points.
  2. Elite Group B: Bengal leads with 27 points.
  3. Elite Group C: Madhya Pradesh leads with 24 points.
  4. Elite Group D: Delhi leads with 26 points.
  5. Plate Group: Hyderabad leads with 27 points.

Exciting Performances:

1. Jalaj Saxena (Kerala): Nine-wicket haul against Andhra Pradesh.
  2. Shreyas Iyer (Mumbai): Unbeaten 267 against Goa.
  3. Ruturaj Gaikwad (Maharashtra): Dominant century against Manipur.
8 hours ago, Mesky99 said:

You seem butthurt? Tripura ain't no weak team they only lost by 29 runs against Tamil Nadu, let me know when any of these south states produce a bumrah or a pandya, baroda now has limbani as well. Gujarat has three ranji trophy teams, Tamil Nadu even with one can't win anything.

I an definitely a Tripura fan (just check out any of my earlier posts on Tripura ...). I was just trolling someone who was clearly over hyping a mediocre Gujarat team ...

Edit: I also assumed that someone so jingoistic about one of the old established teams would also badly underestimate a team like Tripura.

Edited by abc
11 minutes ago, abc said:

I an definitely a Tripura fan (just check out any of my earlier posts on Tripura ...). I was just trolling someone who was clearly over hyping a mediocre Gujarat team ...

Edit: I also assumed that someone so jingoistic about one of the old established teams would also badly underestimate a team like Tripura.

Mediocre Gujarat produced a bumrah whereas south churns out vasuki, Prasidh, m Mohammad etc, Gujarat with its three teams gives out way better players.

Who is the best left arm seamer in Indian circuit? Arshdeep is the only one who is playing for India at this point. Most of the others are trundlers. This Moshin flattered to deceive. India needs a bit of variety in their attack. Also a proper test match leggie is not to be found. I think India shouldn't go by stats in case of leggie. Sometimes they may not have the numbers in domestic due to pitches. But if you see some potential you should back them.

39 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Who is the best left arm seamer in Indian circuit? Arshdeep is the only one who is playing for India at this point. Most of the others are trundlers. This Moshin flattered to deceive. India needs a bit of variety in their attack. Also a proper test match leggie is not to be found. I think India shouldn't go by stats in case of leggie. Sometimes they may not have the numbers in domestic due to pitches. But if you see some potential you should back them.

Bishnoi,Rahul.Chahar should be groomed for the leg spinner spot and should be given more exposure by selecting in A tours

3 minutes ago, tweaker said:

Bishnoi,Rahul.Chahar should be groomed for the leg spinner spot and should be given more exposure by selecting in A tours

They don't have long term vision. THey take the easy route of backing all IPL success across the formats.

1 hour ago, vvvslaxman said:

In terms of potential prithiviraj Yarra, khaleel and Mukesh Choudhury 

12 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

Mohsin is fine for T20's, hard to hit.

For other formats he don't have stamina though. He is unfit and looks like Azam Khan lite.

Sushant, Akash Singh, Prithviraj & Mukesh C are next in line. I dont consider Khaleel as he is another Mukesh Kumar with bat & on field. Prithviraj is the quickest while Mukesh C gets the most amount of swing from the names above.

13 hours ago, Mesky99 said:

Mediocre Gujarat produced a bumrah whereas south churns out vasuki, Prasidh, m Mohammad etc, Gujarat with its three teams gives out way better players.

Tbh...Bumrah is once a generation bowler. I dont think we ever produced a bowler like Bumrah even in past. 

If we exclude the current top tier bowlers like Bumrah & Shami...I think every state (except UP, J&K and Rajasthan) is lacking fast bowlers

Southern states does have fast bowlers...likes of Prithviraj, Lokesh R are fast bowlers. However, firstly the state associations & secondly the pitches are non conducive for the fast bowlers.

Someone like Sandeep Warrier or HS Sarath were completely wasted by their respective state associations. Sarath despite being a strong performer had to sit on bench because trundlers like Mithun, Aravind & Vinay Kumar were sitting on the throne as defacto choice. 

Same is happening in UP & Rajasthan..where trundlers like Yash, Aaqib, Rajpoot, Aniket, Tanveer, Khaleel, Arafat etc are blocking the spaces for K Tyagi, Purnank Tyagi, Vishal Godara, Yogesh Doyla, Ashok Sharma etc.

Edited by singhvivek141
23 hours ago, Suhaan said:

Although I thought you were kidding but it really has some sense

Our pacers  should aim to become better with the bat without compromising on bowling like SENA sides,this is where trophies are won and lost

I wasn't kidding. sides like J&K have zero chance of winning ranjis. sole focus should be on maximizing genuine talents and serving as feeders for Ind A and main Ind team. hence, likes of jurel and kishan and promising keeper-batters should bat at 3, 4 or 5 in domestics, likes of tilak varma and rinku and other promising batters with some bowling ability should bowl 10 overs per innings, and umran and other bowlers with some batting ability should bat at 5 or 6.

Edited by Vijy

Great Summary @Vijy from all this data Himanshu seems to be most promising who needs to be groomed timely..

also, Aryan Juyal,Sai Kishore,Kumar Kartikeya and Ricky Bhui need some opportunities at A level..

Paddikkal is already in higher level..

I also liked Ankit Bawne’s record..I remember he was talked bery highly during his u19 days but there was some age issues which made him miss u19 wcup bus..probably BCCI never liked him due to tgat..thats why he was never the talking point even for India A selections..

1 hour ago, Need4Speed said:

Great Summary @Vijy from all this data Himanshu seems to be most promising who needs to be groomed timely..

also, Aryan Juyal,Sai Kishore,Kumar Kartikeya and Ricky Bhui need some opportunities at A level..

Paddikkal is already in higher level..

I also liked Ankit Bawne’s record..I remember he was talked bery highly during his u19 days but there was some age issues which made him miss u19 wcup bus..probably BCCI never liked him due to tgat..thats why he was never the talking point even for India A selections..

I don't remember bawne age-fudging. he played his first FC game at 14-15, which may or may not be accurate.

agree with the people who you singled out.

Indian selectors are notorious for backing wrong pacers.

Navdeep Saini comes to mind. Avesh and Mukesh are latest in pack. They even tried Arshdeep to be a red ball bowler ( but he failed against lions)

Prasidh Krishna chapter is closed though.

The cupboard is bare after Bumrah, Shami & Siraj.
The search is still on .

4 hours ago, singhvivek141 said:

Tbh...Bumrah is once a generation bowler. I dont think we ever produced a bowler like Bumrah even in past. 

If we exclude the current top tier bowlers like Bumrah & Shami...I think every state (except UP, J&K and Rajasthan) is lacking fast bowlers

Southern states does have fast bowlers...likes of Prithviraj, Lokesh R are fast bowlers. However, firstly the state associations & secondly the pitches are non conducive for the fast bowlers.

Someone like Sandeep Warrier or HS Sarath were completely wasted by their respective state associations. Sarath despite being a strong performer had to sit on bench because trundlers like Mithun, Aravind & Vinay Kumar were sitting on the throne as defacto choice. 

Same is happening in UP & Rajasthan..where trundlers like Yash, Aaqib, Rajpoot, Aniket, Tanveer, Khaleel, Arafat etc are blocking the spaces for K Tyagi, Purnank Tyagi, Vishal Godara, Yogesh Doyla, Ashok Sharma etc.

Vidharbha are decent with Pacers, all three Gujarat ranji teams combined have bumrah, pandya, limbani, baba shafi Pathan, nagaswallah, young lad priyajitsinh picked up a ten wicket haul, atit ****.

1 hour ago, Vijy said:

I don't remember bawne age-fudging. he played his first FC game at 14-15, which may or may not be accurate.

agree with the people who you singled out.

Bawne’s initial story was one filled with irony. Due to an unfortunate discrepancy in his birth date details in his passport and birth certificate, he was declared ineligible to represent India at the U-19 World Cup. It could have been Bawne’s tryst with destiny, but it was not to be.

The Maharashtrian was originally selected as the captain of the Indian Under-19 side, but he was supplanted by Unmukt Chand who went on to lead the team to victory in the 2012 edition of the tournament. While Chand became a renowned face nationwide, Bawne was left in the wilderness.

5 hours ago, tweaker said:

Bawne’s initial story was one filled with irony. Due to an unfortunate discrepancy in his birth date details in his passport and birth certificate, he was declared ineligible to represent India at the U-19 World Cup. It could have been Bawne’s tryst with destiny, but it was not to be.

The Maharashtrian was originally selected as the captain of the Indian Under-19 side, but he was supplanted by Unmukt Chand who went on to lead the team to victory in the 2012 edition of the tournament. While Chand became a renowned face nationwide, Bawne was left in the wilderness.

Hmm... so he was an age fudger?

• The topic was unpinned