Selection Watch Thread .... Agarkar and his team have started to do a good job

57 minutes ago, Sgattick10 said:

How about Manav Suthar? I know he is left arm spin but can be decent replacement for Jaddu. Can bat as well. 

More than Manav Suthar (who obviously is a very good spinner) I have hopes with Nishant Sindhu.

Decent bowler but a very good batter with a high ceiling. Just 19 year old and already has 5 100's in his teenage career of 20 FC games..plus has taken wickets at an avg of 27 as well.

Something which we all were looking in Sundar, I think Nishant has that quality. A no 5/6 level batter who can bowl spin.

9 minutes ago, tweaker said:

What about Riyan Parag ,had a good VH,SMAT ,Deodhar,trophy ,had a decent Ranji trophy untill.he got injured.

Another guy that is getting ignored based on his IPL performances where his role is different.  India should take a chance with him in ODIs and see how he responds. India should be prepared to lose to minnows for a while.

6 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Another guy that is getting ignored based on his IPL performances where his role is different.  India should take a chance with him in ODIs and see how he responds. India should be prepared to lose to minnows for a while.

Yes batting ARs are like gold,as shown by recent WC

1 hour ago, tweaker said:

What about Medium pace allrounder .Shivam,Venkatesh, Vijay seems to be the three who have been with the teams.

Dubey is now even.selected in.T20.has done done well.

This impact player rule has killed their usefulness. Most of them even aren't bowling at all.

Raj Bawa is not picked by any IPL team. Had GT mgmt were little more clever, they would have immediately snubbed Bawa considering Shami is out of IPL & they need an Indian bowling allrounder as Pandya's replacement (Omarzai eats up foreign quota).

6 hours ago, Sgattick10 said:

How about Manav Suthar? I know he is left arm spin but can be decent replacement for Jaddu. Can bat as well. 

he is a bowling AR. there are quite a few of those to consider.

for batting AR, like-for-like replacement of jaddu is nishant sindhu. not as good a bowler, but potentially nearly as good a bat. can play at no. 6 IMO

2 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

Parag should be given a chance , he is out performing many in domestic circuit constantly for couple of years now .

He has not produced any good innings in IPL bt that can be overlooked and domestic performance should be considered for players who have been performing constantly and repeatedly.

He play at a position where Ind does not have any better option, we was ready to bowl a few over too and have been doing for his domestic team. 

Lets see if he is intnl quality, sometimes IPL does not give a fair assessment of a player- There are too many constraints in IPL team set-up, Dhoni and Rohit has hardly performed bt still their teams lifts IPL trophies.

21 hours ago, Vijy said:

if Umesh and Aaron near the start of their careers had the kind of backing Siraj did, they would have done far better. they had a higher ceiling than Mirage

Yes for sure, if Ind TM and selectors had farsightedness and know how on how to make a proper bowling attack they would have been big asset.

Ind TM and Selectors preferred low potential blowers over them and same is being followed now.

Perhaps it's time to pivot and move selection discussions to T20I WC, now that we are just an IPL away from it.

Barring injuries, the following 11 players seem sure bets to be selected in the 15-member squad:

Rohit Sharma (c?)

Yashasvi Jaiswal

Suryakumar Yadav (vc?)

Virat Kohli (?)

Shubman Gill

Hardik Pandya (c?)

Rinku Singh

Arshdeep Singh

Mohd Shami

Jasprit Bumrah

Ravi Bishnoi

----------------------------------------------------

4 more.

Possiblities:

Washington Sundar

Shivam Dube

Jitesh Sharma

Mukesh Kumar

Tilak Varma

Rishabh Pant

Mohammed Siraj

Ravindra Jadeja

Axar Patel

Ishan Kishan

Sanju Samson

Longshots (IPL-based):

Riyan Parag

Umran Malik

Harshit Rana

Shams Mulani

Shardul Thakur

Edited by BacktoCricaddict
7 hours ago, singhvivek141 said:

More than Manav Suthar (who obviously is a very good spinner) I have hopes with Nishant Sindhu.

Decent bowler but a very good batter with a high ceiling. Just 19 year old and already has 5 100's in his teenage career of 20 FC games..plus has taken wickets at an avg of 27 as well.

Something which we all were looking in Sundar, I think Nishant has that quality. A no 5/6 level batter who can bowl spin.

Musheer khan could leapfrog all of these guys.. he could be the next big thing.. if it was me I would pick him rightaway in A squads

Edited by Vk1
On 3/10/2024 at 1:57 PM, Vijy said:

if Umesh and Aaron near the start of their careers had the kind of backing Siraj did, they would have done far better. they had a higher ceiling than Mirage

It was due to Dhoni alone who screwed up , he kept selecting them in wrong formats and he never had any patience to develop them.

Umesh could have done lot more, he had perfect outswinger and was very fit.He should have had 300 test wickets.He should have been India's Dale Steyn.

Umesh is laid back kind of guy who needed to be pushed in right direction.

Edited by putrevus
14 hours ago, Vk1 said:

Musheer khan could leapfrog all of these guys.. he could be the next big thing.. if it was me I would pick him rightaway in A squads

Would wait tbh.

We have seen in the past the U19 batch players, they start with a bang in Ranji but then quickly decline.

Yash Dhull, Sheikh Rasheed, Armsan Jaffer, Vijay Zol, P Shaw, Abhishek Sharma so many examples. 

Next season is going to be important for him.

Jaiswal, Pant, Sarafaraz kept themselves in contention courtesy of their performances. Even Gill was consistent with his FC stats.

Edited by singhvivek141
On 3/11/2024 at 12:00 PM, Vk1 said:

I was searching for Musheer videos on YouTube and ran into some interesting stuff. He started in Harris or Giles Shield tournament for Mumbai schools at age of 6. By age of 8 he started in Kanga league that is meant for grown ups. He received an award by SRT for these achievements, Parthiv Shaw was also awarded by SRT at the same time. His dad set up a training wicket in his Colony with lights and nets etc so the brothers could practice. The story is simply fascinating. Please take a look. Sarfaraz looked young in those videos, but Musheer is literally a baby and playing with entire cricket gear and all. I m now really keen to see his progress. He had a good U19 WC and did well in the Ranji knockouts too. Too bad I can't see the domestic live in USA. Anyone seen Musheer enough to make an opinion? Does he have the talent to be an outstanding bat for India?? He bowls too. 

21 hours ago, singhvivek141 said:

Would wait tbh.

We have seen in the past the U19 batch players, they start with a bang in Ranji but then quickly decline.

Yash Dhull, Sheikh Rasheed, Armsan Jaffer, Vijay Zol, P Shaw, Abhishek Sharma so many examples. 

Next season is going to be important for him.

Jaiswal, Pant, Sarafaraz kept themselves in contention courtesy of their performances. Even Gill was consistent with his FC stats.

dhull is a good example, more so than the others. had 1 good season, and then has gone missing. the others have either done well over multiple seasons (e.g., shaw), not done well (e.g., zol, jaffer, rasheed), or always done so-so (e.g., abhishek)

32 minutes ago, Vijy said:

dhull is a good example, more so than the others. had 1 good season, and then has gone missing. the others have either done well over multiple seasons (e.g., shaw), not done well (e.g., zol, jaffer, rasheed), or always done so-so (e.g., abhishek)

Well Dhull is not old either,that flow is rather intermittent with some batsman

Might have a good next season