What song are you currently listening to ?

Rajiv

On 4/12/2020 at 12:11 AM, Straight Drive said:

Can't forget Naa Jane and Ek do teen. Those two songs got more whistles by watching public than any other song.

Ek do teen has Madhuri!

Unless you mean this obscure number. :confused:  I'd not heard of this before.

9 hours ago, sandeep said:

I'm a sucker for Rajasthani folk type songs.  This one, Yaara Sili sili,  a whole bunch of them.  That Rajasthani string instrument - not sure what its called, I love that sound, especially when deployed appropriately.  

I believe you are talking about ravanhattha. 

Anyway speaking of Rajasthani songs

@Mariyam

@sandeep 

I haven't heard many Rajasthani folk songs. But I have to agree, the ones popularised by Bollywood: Yaara sili sili and Morni Baga mein are very soothing. Almost therapeutic.

I am guessing the single string instrument is called Ek tara. Not too sure.

@Stradlater

Thanks for the music videos. I liked the clothes too! The ghagra from 1:59 in the kajaliyo song. Me likey. Amazing use of mini-mirrors and embroidery.

Makes a note to buy something on those lines. 

1 hour ago, Mariyam said:

I liked the clothes too! The ghagra from 1:59 in the kajaliyo song. Me likey. Amazing use of mini-mirrors and embroidery.

Makes a note to buy something on those lines. 

My 4 year old is completely obsessed with these - she calls all of them "Saris", and wants to wear them all the time.  

@Stradlater

Are you a fan of Qawwali?

Many years ago, at the Urs at Ajmer Shariff, I had the chance to listen to some of India's best Qawwals  Junaid Sultani, Ragini Rainu and Munnawar Masoom among others. Generally I am not a fan of devotional music, but this was definitely a memorable experience.

Not related to music, but there are these bangles made of Lac ( some hardened type of a wax). A friend of mine got married at a haveli in Fatehpur Sikar and they had this expert whose family had been making these bangles for generations. I had an entire set made for me, as I was from the ladkiwale's. Unfortunately my pesky relatives sweet talked me into giving them one set each when I got back to Mumbai and now I own just two pairs. :((

Have you heard of a boutique called Anokhi? It is Jaipur based set up, but they also have a store in Mumbai.

Rajasthani traditional attire is just out of this world beautiful. Worth making a trip just to buy authentic traditional Rajasthani clothes.

19 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

@Stradlater

Are you a fan of Qawwali?

Many years ago, at the Urs at Ajmer Shariff, I had the chance to listen to some of India's best Qawwals  Junaid Sultani, Ragini Rainu and Munnawar Masoom among others. Generally I am not a fan of devotional music, but this was definitely a memorable experience.

Not related to music, but there are these bangles made of Lac ( some hardened type of a wax). A friend of mine got married at a haveli in Fatehpur Sikar and they had this expert whose family had been making these bangles for generations. I had an entire set made for me, as I was from the ladkiwale's. Unfortunately my pesky relatives sweet talked me into giving them one set each when I got back to Mumbai and now I own just two pairs. :((

Have you heard of a boutique called Anokhi? It is Jaipur based set up, but they also have a store in Mumbai.

Rajasthani traditional attire is just out of this world beautiful. Worth making a trip just to buy authentic traditional Rajasthani clothes.

Sadly I haven't listened much of Qawwali to tell you the truth. I like Ghulam Ali and Jagjeet Singh though. 

Yes Lac ki chudiyaan are quite famous in this part of the world. In fact the Muslims in my village specialize in making these bangles.It's their hereditary profession since these sort of bangles are in a high demand in Rajput weddings. In fact there's this ceremony whereby an elderly Muslim woman comes to fit the choodha(a bit bigger) in bride's hands. 

Yes I'm familiar with Anokhi and have actually visited it couple of times as well. Jaipur is the best place for Rajasthani handcrafts followed by Jodhpur and Udaipur.