Want to get in shape for summer? Join in...

Lurker

39 minutes ago, GautiMaan said:

Timely bump of this thread

I've been out of shape since my teens due to a sedentary lifestyle and an arthritis condition.Of late though the need to get fit has been burning inside me and I'm hitting the gym with a vengeance.No excuses this time:yess:

Don't go too hard. Many people try too hard when they want to lose weight and after few days they get so tired that lose interest. It is natural to try too hard. 

You need to balance your diet and gym. Don't just totally stop eating all the good things right away. Do eat everything but in limited quantity than before, instead of starving yourself from the good things as that will only make you lose your interest in the gym quicker.

15 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Don't go too hard. Many people try too hard when they want to lose weight and after few days they get so tired that lose interest. It is natural to try too hard. 

You need to balance your diet and gym. Don't just totally stop eating all the good things right away. Do eat everything but in limited quantity than before, instead of starving yourself from the good things as that will only make you lose your interest in the gym quicker.

Thanks Cricketics

Do u think its good for a beginner to start mixing HIIT into his regime?reading a lot of good things about HIIT but dont want to risk injury or anything

1 minute ago, GautiMaan said:

Thanks Cricketics

Do u think its good for a beginner to start mixing HIIT into his regime?reading a lot of good things about HIIT but dont want to risk injury or anything

Yeah surely. Everything works well as long as you keep at it.

Eventually, you have to find your own routine which will keep you interested in the gym and workouts. HIIT involves the use of different workouts at different intensity and hence it is a really good start and easy to continue.

Ideally, best way and it has been even surveyed a lot that people enjoy gym more when they switch machines and workouts often after 10-15 minites breaks, so that they do not lose interest. You can always comeback to the same elypticals after the breaks but switch around often, and put some good music going in your ear and get in the zone.

7 hours ago, cric_fan said:

Serious question- how come ALOT Indian guys that I come across here in the UK are overweight?

I guess people get used to the 9-5 work schedule and then are too lazy to go to the gym. Also if married, many after a 9-5 work schedule would prefer to spend time with family than take out time for the gym.

Also many Indians still have old backward thinking of not bringing their spouse etc to the gym with them or to playsports with them. Even Chinese have moved on from that mentality. For example, I was playing badminton and saw Chinese folks come out with their families including their wife etc to enjoy the indoor badminton. I hardly see Indian folks aged between 25-40 bring their spouse even for a recreational activity like badminton.

9 hours ago, cric_fan said:

Serious question- how come ALOT Indian guys that I come across here in the UK are overweight?

Most of them have IT or other 9-5 jobs...some even require over times,odd hours etc and have a lot of pressure+add the commute etc especially given the fact that most of them probably work in London and commute from a far away suburb.

While that is not an excuse for a poor diet and not having some amount of exercise in your schedule,it is understandable why that stereotype arises.

Edited by maniac

On February 11, 2017 at 8:53 AM, vvvslaxman said:

Hey Rahul any tips for getting rid of bloating  sensation.  

It might be because you are not getting enough fibre. I make a point to eat minimum 5 fruits a day. I usually eat 2 tangerines/clementines, 1 Apple, and then randomly add them with either black plums, pears, bananas, persimmon, blue berries or strawberries. So ya eating salad and fruits might help get rid of bloating. 

On February 11, 2017 at 10:02 AM, Cricketics said:

42 Farhrenheit here today. Chilly and slightly windy but we are going to keep our promise and play our first practice game of the soon. 

It is a twenty20. Will bowl just about 2-4 overs today but looking forward to the first game of the season and just being out there on the cricket field and just fielding the  ball. 

Where in the You Es Of Eh are you located again that you get to play in Feb

Maryland. We haven't had bad winter here this year. Got occasional weekends with good weather luckily. Even thisnweekend was brilliant. 

Midwest got all the snow this year. We had snow just probably thrice and that too not much accumulation. Fingers crossed we are done with snow this year and can look forward to cricket season.

24 minutes ago, rahulrulezz said:

Where in the You Es Of Eh are you located again that you get to play in Feb

17 hours ago, Cricketics said:

Maryland. We haven't had bad winter here this year. Got occasional weekends with good weather luckily. Even thisnweekend was brilliant. 

Midwest got all the snow this year. We had snow just probably thrice and that too not much accumulation. Fingers crossed we are done with snow this year and can look forward to cricket season.

It hardly snowed here in Iowa. Snowed less than Jersey.

Bit stagnant last two weeks. Was sick so no gym at all. hoping to get back to the grind today.

1 minute ago, laaloo said:

It hardly snowed here in Iowa. Snowed less than Jersey.

Bit stagnant last two weeks. Was sick so no gym at all. hoping to get back to the grind today.

Daymn you in Iowa now?I played in Iowa a lot around Manning area laat year. Drove down even from Nebraska and had games in areas like DesMoines. Pretty big freakin state. Too much driving required there. You like it? 

Just now, Cricketics said:

Daymn you in Iowa now?I played in Iowa a lot around Manning area laat year. Drove down even from Nebraska and had games in areas like DesMoines. Pretty big freakin state. Too much driving required there. You like it? 

Been here last 2.5 years. Nah I dont like Iowa lol. I live in Cedar Rapids. Trying to move back to dirty Jersey. But yeah no traffic here and pretty cheap when compared to North east.

On 11/02/2017 at 5:51 AM, rkt.india said:

did a few sets of deadlift yesterday, starting with 55 kg 10 reps then 75 kg 8 reps, 90 kg 5 reps, ending with 120 kg of four single reps and that too after I had done 12 sets of back workout 4 different exercises and 20 plus minutes of treadmill including slow walking at 6 kph + walking at 5-6 kph on incline of 15 then jogging at 9 kph then faster running at 12 and then intensely fast running at 15 KPH. All done for 20 plus minutes. I kept changing the speeds and duration. Slow-faster-fast-intense in this sequence. Shortest duration was for 15 kph fast running.  My highest deadlift till now is 140 kg. I love deadlift. It is one of the best exercise and always likes to lift heavy.

Few days back i saw a group of guys lifing around 180+- kgs as part of deadlift. I never lift heavy, around 70 kgs limit. Got inspired. Stepped to 120. One lift and instantly it became dark in front of my eyes for couple of seconds. So just to be clear and sure, tried one more time. Happened same again

No message on this thread abou deadlift is to be blamed:fear1:

Edited by mishra