Is Ashwin the genuine all rounder we are looking for?

Ashwin should open the innings, ala Shastri/Prabhakar.... Atleast this should be tried.... Forget his bowling, let him be the batting allrounder.... I'd push Sehwag to 5/6..... Given that Tendulkar won't budge from 4 and the selectors are totally frozen to make wholesalte changes, this is what I'd do, get Tiwari for Yuvraj, and Yadav for Ishant for T4.... Move Ashwin to #1 and let Sehwag come in the middle order...

Ashwin's batting is just an added bonus.....what if he starts failing as a batsman then what?that would just f with him even more. Right now despite him having a bad series,he is still in the scheme of things as a bowler in all 3 formats.....other gives him a little more freedom mentally with the bat.....put added responsibility of being a batting mainstay and we might just destroy his career

Sorry KT nothing against you but Ashwin's bowling skills got destroyed after this thread was started hyping him up. Poor guy will be dropped from team if he continues to bowl poorly against australia. Now why dont you start a thread about Cook and ajmal and how great they are?

Risky to have him as all rounder in tests. But in odis surely he can play as all rounder and bat at 7, then we can 5 have geniune bolwers. Our 5th bowler as part timer keeps getting us in trouble. Batted really well again today.
I see it as a greater risk to have Jadeja in the Test side as the "all-rounder". :giggle: But tbh with Ashwin's bowling in Tests I feel its limited overs cricket thats affecting him ... He's bowling far too many variations in Test cricket. Variations are fine but the thing with Test cricket is you have to setup the batsman with a set of stock deliveries and get him playing the way you want him to play. Currently his Test over looks something like this ... 1. Carrom ball 2. Wider arm ball 3. Short off-break gets hit for 4 4. Sudoku ball 5. Off-break down leg side - gets worked away for a single 6. Carrom ball again It seems like he's bowling 6 different deliveries in an over. In T20 (and to some extent in ODI) thats aweosme because a batsman doesn't know whats coming and before he knows it he's lost a crucial over in the match but he's just replicating this style in Tests instead of setting a batsman up properly. Shane Warne is a perfect example to follow. He had several different deliveries but at least 90% of his deliveries were the standard leg break. Batting wise he's batting well but I wouldn't put him much higher than 7 (especially in Tests). I'd rather pick a batsman who can bowl a bit at No.6.