My biggest issue with Indian films.

Temujin Khaghan

Khalpat, even in hollywood the class audience are disgusted by movies like blockbusters Transformers, Twilight and Hunger games which are basically aimed at the mass but everyone gets something atleast. there are good movies which are made on low budgets which are aimed at audience who want to watch a good story and realistic scenarios the problem in Indian movies and especially Bollywood is that there is nothing for most of the people like the ones in this forum. there are a few bones here and there like Vishal Bharadwaj, Anurag Kashyap and Irfan Khan. its like expecting monsoon in Thar desert.
Well it might be due to the reason that Bollywood releases more than 1000 movies and Hollywood releases if I am not wrong less than 500. Someone can correct me if I am wrong. Lets try to see how many good or lets say realistic movies were released in 2014: 1. Manjunath 2. Pizza 3. Lakshmi 4. Suleimani Keeda 5. City Lights (Brilliant movie best IMO) 6. Filmistaan 7. Hawaa Hawai 8. Ankhon Dekhi 9. Kya dilli Kya Lahore 10. finding Fanny (IMO it was bad) 11. Dedh Ishqiya (It will not qualify in your list due to lip sync) 12 Mary Kom 13 Highway 14 Queen 15 Haider That is more than 1 movie in a month not a bad number. If only you would have watched the above movies instead of HNY, PK, 2 States you would have not want Bollywood to change.

You people need to watch Maine Pyar Kiya and you will see tharak everywhere. When I was young, I never realized WTF were they talking about, their reactions and emotions but now it all looks weird. Most songs in Indian movies are for people to fap. This is what I saw yesterday on Indian music channel and it was being played every 20 minutes D_CJ4lJ12Us

Also people watch movies like fast furious 7. They are ok with cars jumping out of airplane ? Car going down the cliff but still people survive. They are ok with Dwayne Johnson jumping couple of floors still not dying ? They are ok with ambulance flattening drone ? They are ok car jumping 3 buildings ? I don't see threads created here ridiculing Hollywood movies nor in the padosi forum who create threads to ridicule Bollywood. So Hollywood makes movies that defies the laws of physics but a blind eye in judging. I think we should have fair judgement for each industry. I found so many flaws in an industry this been around probably from 1900s. Bollywood is very young let's give them chances to grow up.
FF7 was absolute crap. I had to watch that shyt in IMAX :(( Inception, Interstellar are such great IMAX experiences OTOH :heart:

One complain I have is that most film makers feel the compulsion to stick with the masala formula irrespective of how sensitive the subject is. So even if the film is on Ashoka, Bhagat Singh, etc. (or even God), you will still find the actors doing the song and dance sequences and other such routines A film on Gandhiji will likely have him running around trees singing a song with Kasturbaji, and the zalim Angreez will be a part of an item song .... On the other hand, see how Hollywood made Gandhi. Mel Gibson did not turn The passion of the Christ in to a Lethal Weapon or Mad Max .... Aray bhai, if you want to make a masala film why pick subjects such as Ashoka or Bhagat Singh :facepalm: .... Just make a masala film like Shivaji the Boss (Rajni!) or Dhoom 3 :nice: Also in trying to be different, some of our filmmakers get stupid. I watched Dharmendra's Keemat in which he plays Agent 116 (Desi Bond) but unlike the Videshi Bond he is responsible in every way so when he is offered glass a wine at a bar, he politely turns it down and asks for a glass of milk instead :cantstop: .... Apart from efforts to highlight such differences b/w Desi and Videshi Bond, the film is decent :P However, some of the filmmakers have learnt to make films that do justice to the subject. Of the latest releases, Haider blended the serious story nicely with song and dance sequences, which felt like an integral part of the story. Baby was nicely done as well

^And Anushka is a very fine actress as far as I am concerned.
Acting is highly overrated in films. It's a director's medium. Put an actor in a masala film , he becomes a crap actor, the same guy becomes a great actor in a movie portraying faux-realism.

Cant they just do away with dancing in films ? I'm fine with songs as long as they are used as background songs. Lip sync songs and dancing looks ridiculous and takes you out of the experience. Having more realism in storytelling and acting will help.
Films are not made to show you reality. Why do you want to see the same reality in films which you already come across in life. Films are made to provide entertainment, to take you out of the depressing world for a few hours and into a different world and this is what people like.

Khalpat, even in hollywood the class audience are disgusted by movies like blockbusters Transformers, Twilight and Hunger games which are basically aimed at the mass but everyone gets something atleast. there are good movies which are made on low budgets which are aimed at audience who want to watch a good story and realistic scenarios the problem in Indian movies and especially Bollywood is that there is nothing for most of the people like the ones in this forum. there are a few bones here and there like Vishal Bharadwaj, Anurag Kashyap and Irfan Khan. its like expecting monsoon in Thar desert.
So Vishal Bhardwaj does not have songs or dance in his movies?

Films are not made to show you reality. Why do you want to see the same reality in films which you already come across in life. Films are made to provide entertainment' date= to take you out of the depressing world for a few hours and into a different world and this is what people like.
Your opinion. There are all kinds of films. I, personally, like intelligent, well-scripted movies. :girly1:

Your opinion. There are all kinds of films. I, personally, like intelligent, well-scripted movies. :girly1:
I do to but does not mean they are to show you reality. Usually, these intelligent well scripted movies are far away from reality too. Films can never be real. Documentaries are. Even the acting in the films is never real. No once acts in real life the way they do in films.

Acting is highly overrated in films. It's a director's medium. Put an actor in a masala film , he becomes a crap actor, the same guy becomes a great actor in a movie portraying faux-realism.
And then there are actors like Fardeen Khan who really are crap actors irrespective of roles. Agreed that it's a director's medium and acting is a bit overrated. (I liked Anushka in all kinds of roles though)

Bollywood just disgusts me!! Hate everything about it from nepotism to cronyism,movies are pathetic barring a couple (once in a blue moon),only the songs are worth listening to that too in few movies.basically jokers are ruling the roost

forget eminem and bon jovi. even if kanye west comes out with an above average album, they will become chartbusters. thats the power of a musician's star power. if music industry was parallel to cinema industry in india like the rest of the world, the musicians might have been popular too i guess. they went to the 6th tier, because of the system. although i cannot imagine, SPB being a heartthrob; yesudas had a huge female fan following in south india and rafi/kishore kumar had a huge following in the hindi speaking areas. just imagine if they were represented by their own video songs instead of shammi kapoor and rajesh khanna. they would have been the mega stars of their age.
Internet has destroyed music industry in India. Music does not sell because everything is on internet for free. There was a time in 90s we used to see a lot of individual music albums. One of those music album in mid 90s turned Sonu Nigam's career. Daler Mehndi came into limelight through his albums. Same with Adnaan Sami. Now, things have changed. We do no see those individual music albums now.

Today, it is just a style statement to diss on bollywood and praise hollywood which produces absolute trash day in day out in action flicks ! People judge hollywood by the best it has to offer..and judge bollywood by the crap it offers. I mean just in 4 months this year, we had these movies ! And also Baby ! There is Piku -- a 30 + daughter dealing with her career and her hypochondriac father..and her life there is Badlapur -- On lives of two people..and how they change as revenge goes There is hunterr -- A story of a sex addict..and how his life and views change as he meets a women in an arranged marriage setting There is Dum Lagake Haisha -- Story of a man and girls who gets in an arranged marriage in 1995 haridwar ...girl is overwieght..and guy is not educated as proclaimed..and their journey through intial stages of marriage and their families There is Qissa -- a movie where girl is born and brought up like a boy in rural india There is Nh10 -- where a couple gets strangled in a bloody lawless land after they witness a honor killing in haryana There is detective byomkesh bakshi -- A comic detective villain brought to life in 1940's Culcutta There is Margharita with a straw -- a movie about an autistic girl and her journey throught sexuality..and being a lesbian there is Dharma sankat mein -- on religion and this is only been what...4 months in ?
People need a reason to bash Bollywood while this is the time when we are seeing so much variety in Hindi films.