KL RAHUL : Appreciation thread

4 hours ago, Frustrated said:

By the end of the series,  KL's batting avg would be less than 30.   That would be the worst batting avg for a top order indian batsman to hv played more than 40 tests.  Muraji Vijay also probably has similar shitty record.   No wonder he was dropped long ago. 

His batting average will be 33. 5 even if he gets out on three consecutive ducks. 

3 hours ago, Adamant said:

His batting average will be 33. 5 even if he gets out on three consecutive ducks. 

Yes.   And the Avg of 33.5 would be the worst batting avg for an indian top order batsman in our history.  (To hv played 40+ tests).  I m sure if u give these many chances to any ordinary batsman, even he would average more than that.  

Edited by Frustrated
2 hours ago, Frustrated said:

Yes.   And the Avg of 33.5 would be the worst batting avg for an indian top order batsman in our history.  (To hv played 40+ tests).  I m sure if u give these many chances to any ordinary batsman, even he would average more than that.  

chauhan played 40 tests and had an avg of 31.5 or so.

I think the best comparison is with Butler. Both he and KLR are very talented, have great ODI and T20 records, but are just not cut out for test cricket on a consistent basis; they will do well in patches and then fade away, then score some runs in patches, and so on.

KL Rahul contributing again this innings. I m pretty sure he can do better job.

Chetan Chauhan is basically the Akash Chopra of his era whose contribution is not in terms of runs but building parternships. He has 10 100+ run partnerships with Sunny. 
It was good performance in that era in which India is proving itself to be a world player in test cricket.

Now, India is expected to be superpower in cricket and we cannot have that type of "blunt the new ball" kind of openers in the team. 
KL Rahul is much more than Chetan Chauhan or Akash Chopra. 

2 hours ago, sarcastic said:

KL Rahul contributing again this innings. I m pretty sure he can do better job.

Chetan Chauhan is basically the Akash Chopra of his era whose contribution is not in terms of runs but building parternships. He has 10 100+ run partnerships with Sunny. 
It was good performance in that era in which India is proving itself to be a world player in test cricket.

Now, India is expected to be superpower in cricket and we cannot have that type of "blunt the new ball" kind of openers in the team. 
KL Rahul is much more than Chetan Chauhan or Akash Chopra. 

not in terms of average - he is only slightly better

23 hours ago, putrevus said:

There was a reason why this guy never cemented his spot in the team. Still we cannot expect openers to carry the team for whole series.

They haven't done anything close to that. 

If averaging 40 and 35 is synonymous to carrying the team then your standards are way too low. 

Checkout 2018 series to actually get an idea of what "carrying a team" actually means. 

Edited by Adamant
Just now, Jay said:

No man. He did his job. Good stuff. Kid is good. Needs to show more consistency yes 

his series avg is a bit below 40. this is symptomatic of his career as a whole. plays some good knocks, lacks consistency. he is not really cut out to be an opener, who should look to press on and make 100s.

Just now, Lord said:

its not like he threw it away.Good innings and didnt do much wrong to get out.

he did throw it away though. went into a shell after the LBW and then became unnecessarily tentative and got out.

I have not denied that he has talent. it's all the more frustrating when they don't capitalize on it. kind of like Rohit for much of his career.