Three years and counting and we are still betting on Dhoni

MCcricket

1 hour ago, velu said:

This thread is solely built on his performance in the last 3 years..

If you take tis stat as how he performs in the future, probably he will play till 2027 emoji3.png

My comment was about the future - which you replied to. Current performance, does not guarantee future performance. 

56 minutes ago, Crookbond said:

My comment was about the future - which you replied to. Current performance, does not guarantee future performance. 

you cant blind guess the future performance without considering his current performance..

and considering the current performance he shld be allowed to play as long as he enjoys his game :giggle:

As an individual contributor, MSD is still easily good enough to hold a place in the ODI side atleast for the next 15-18 months (he should definitely quit T20s. Barring the odd resurgence, he has proven himself to be an average to below average batsmen in that format). Having said that, it maybe better for the collective good of the Indian team if he chooses to exit the Indian team sooner rather than later. With his fame, fortune and past successes, Its obvious that he is one of those guys with a Sachin type aura around. After one of his many Man of the match/Man of the series award presentation interviews, the host asked Ashwin to explain the recent rebound in his test bowling and in a remarkable moment of candor, Ashwin said something along the lines of 'Well, i dont want to dwell on the past, but the previous regime had a certain way of doing things and it affected me..', while the new test captain Kohli looked on. 

MSD is one of India's top 10 cricketers of all time... He's a national treasure and hero.. but its time for him to distance himself from the current indian team. And btw, I am almost 99% sure that he will quit ODIs either at the end of this year or early next year. 

10 hours ago, Ram said:

As an individual contributor, MSD is still easily good enough to hold a place in the ODI side atleast for the next 15-18 months (he should definitely quit T20s. Barring the odd resurgence, he has proven himself to be an average to below average batsmen in that format). Having said that, it maybe better for the collective good of the Indian team if he chooses to exit the Indian team sooner rather than later. With his fame, fortune and past successes, Its obvious that he is one of those guys with a Sachin type aura around. After one of his many Man of the match/Man of the series award presentation interviews, the host asked Ashwin to explain the recent rebound in his test bowling and in a remarkable moment of candor, Ashwin said something along the lines of 'Well, i dont want to dwell on the past, but the previous regime had a certain way of doing things and it affected me..', while the new test captain Kohli looked on. 

MSD is one of India's top 10 cricketers of all time... He's a national treasure and hero.. but its time for him to distance himself from the current indian team. And btw, I am almost 99% sure that he will quit ODIs either at the end of this year or early next year. 

Agree fully, very well put, people who R logical will get it, Dhoni is past his sell by date n playing longer when he has lost his skills he is hurting his legacy n more his team

Edited by MCcricket

we cant blame dhoni because to replace him a solid wicket keeper batsman should emerge...and only contenders were 
--- good strikers ---
samsom (didn't live up to the expectations)
ankush bains ( plays for weak team not under selecters radar...no A tours )
naman ojha ( as old as dhoni )

so even 30-35 averaging dhoni will be our best in the country ... forget 50 averaging ATG match winner dhoni 

rishab pant has emerged ... lets wait for his first ranji season to end 

^ How do we know Samson didn't live up to expectations when he was on the bench even against Zimbabwe etc, in dead rubbers?

The guy was playing some outstanding knocks against quality bowlers in the IPL year after year.....Yeah yeah it is IPL it is a joke etc etc but shouldn't that be a criteria to atleast get into the T20 squad? especially in a format captain cool is being sucking the life of the team for a long time.

15 minutes ago, maniac said:

^ How do we know Samson didn't live up to expectations when he was on the bench even against Zimbabwe etc, in dead rubbers?

The guy was playing some outstanding knocks against quality bowlers in the IPL year after year.....Yeah yeah it is IPL it is a joke etc etc but shouldn't that be a criteria to atleast get into the T20 squad? especially in a format captain cool is being sucking the life of the team for a long time.

samson didnt do well after his first series in IPL ..

2 hours ago, maniac said:

he had shown some sparks in the 1st two seasons of ipl ... thats all 
          matches       runs      highest    avg        str rate
IPL      52              1040     76           24.76     119.13 

even his first class record is much inferior to ojhas sahas gautams bains etc etc. He is talented but has to earn his place

On 10/28/2016 at 0:16 PM, Ankit_sharma03 said:

I Have given u my answer but plzz answer my question by looking at his records do u think ur being fair to someone who is having his 1st bad yr. Batting at 6 most times where ull enter mostly in last 10 overs. Being out of the game for sometime as compare to other team members who were well in touch and match practice. Still he has played on good inning over Rohit , rahane, pandey, jadhav who have been coming into series with a lot of cricket in recent times. 

Sachin tendulkar avg 17 in whole 2003 in test cricket wud u have called for his head to. 17 is way worst than 28 and he didnt have the responsibility of captaincy n WK either. 

32,31,31 this is gautam gambhirs avg as opener in test in 2010,2011,2012 didnt he get that extra time . 

With every player i can pick that bad yrs.........

What are you talking about? Where did I say that he should not play ODIs??? Read my posts again. I am questioning his captaincy overall. I think he deserves to continue playing ODIs (as a number 4 batsman, but not anything lower than that). I don't think he should be playing T20s as we should try someone newer like Pant there. If he reconsidered playing Tests, I would still prefer him over Saha. But as for captaincy, I think his captaincy has hit rock bottom.