DRS is utter nonsense.

rkt.india

DRS is just fine. I was surprised when Pujara - the guy who has a compact technique and knows exactly where his stumps are - aided by Vijay at the other end, didn't review in the last match! Jadeja has turned into a hopeless slogger. India are still new to this. We will take one more series to completely understand the system.

The first review was out. Umpire's call is rubbish when the margin is touch-n-go.

When the margin is touch-n-go that means it was not a howler and DRS shouldn't have been used so sticking with the on field umpire's decision makes sense.

DRS doesn't tell you what the 'umpire's call' actually was, or rather the reason for it, and this is a flaw in DRS. I'll still take it though.

Umpire's call is either out or not out? Not sure what you mean here.

11 minutes ago, moniker said:

When the margin is touch-n-go that means it was not a howler and DRS shouldn't have been used so sticking with the on field umpire's decision makes sense.

So then what exactly is the purpose of DRS if it cannot make those close calls? You don't need DRS and its many features to correct howlers. Most howlers can be caught with normal broadcast technology. Touch-n-go decisions turn matches on their head as much as howlers do. If this system cannot make accurate marginal calls, then I don't see its use. It should be renamed as Howler Reversal System.

I'm not opposed to the concept of a DRS. It's just that I don't like/understand its current format, especially Umpire's call. 

In case of LBWs, to make all decisions consistent, umpire's calls for hitting the stumps should be given in favor of the batsman. Umpire's call for the other two elements - pitching and hitting in line should be given in favor of the bowler. I think that will make ot fair for both sides and will make the decisions more consistent. 

So then what exactly is the purpose of DRS if it cannot make those close calls? You don't need DRS and its many features to correct howlers. Most howlers can be caught with normal broadcast technology. Touch-n-go decisions turn matches on their head as much as howlers do. If this system cannot make accurate marginal calls, then I don't see its use. It should be renamed as Howler Reversal System.

I'm not opposed to the concept of a DRS. It's just that I don't like/understand its current format, especially Umpire's call. 

The ICC have made it clear multiple times that the purpose of DRS is to eliminate howlers. Current technology is not yet advanced enough to take marginal calls.

I hope that in the future we would be able to automate looking at each and every ball and communicate the decision to the on field umpire who performs a secondary role of only conveying the decision to the players. We shouldn't even need the third umpire, the technology should be able to operate independently. Till then, we have to make do with the technology we have at our disposal.

^yeh but why is it not given out? not going on to hit the stumps or because ball has hit bat first? this is why Kohli was questioning the umpire on the second DRS review. 

It doesn't really matter. If the technology has determined that it can't decide and reverts back to umpire's call, it means it was a marginal call and not a howler. You are not supposed to review magical calls, so you are docked a review.

As India keeps playing with DRS, gradually they will get better at using it. Currently we make some mistakes and I think a few like Ashwin are trigger happy but they are learning. Jayant Yadav seems to have used DRS well so that's encouraging.

I only wish they would remove "umpire's call" or dont count ump call against the quota.

Edited by fineleg