Parthiv Patel in third test?

kosingh

35, 3c/0s, 0, 2c/0s Karnataka v Rajasthan Vizianagaram 13 Nov 2016 FC
0, 1c/0s, 0, 1c/0s Karnataka v Vidarbha Vadodara 5 Nov 2016 FC
4c/0s, 73, 0c/2s Karnataka v Assam Mumbai 27 Oct 2016 FC
0c/1s, 63*, 0c/0s Karnataka v Delhi Kolkata 20 Oct 2016 FC

Gautam's first class record this season and in the ongoing match against Orissa, he has 54 and 68*... But nowhere stellar as Pant

Where did I say his batting is anywhere near Pant ???

48 minutes ago, maniac said:

Based on current form and performance Pant is obviously the best WK-Bat in the country....age,experience etc etc aside he should have got the call simple.

Dead wrong.  Stop spouting personal opinions as if they were facts.  What makes him the best 'Keeper-bat in the country?  No question he's got an excellent track record while batting in this half of the ranji season, but that doesn't mean that he's a great wicket-keeper.  All the fans salivating over his batting potential are just ready to gamble on his wicket-keeping sight unseen.  

The primary job of the keeper we need for Mohali is to keep wickets well - there is absolutely zero evidence that Panth is quality behind the stumps with the red ball in the long form of the game.  Parthiv Patel has done the job with the gloves behind the stumps for multiple FC seasons - ostensibly well enough to get the chance for this game.  That *has* to count for something.  If anyone should feel like they missed out, its "KKDK".

3 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Dead wrong.  Stop spouting personal opinions as if they were facts.  What makes him the best 'Keeper-bat in the country?  No question he's got an excellent track record while batting in this half of the ranji season, but that doesn't mean that he's a great wicket-keeper.  All the fans salivating over his batting potential are just ready to gamble on his wicket-keeping sight unseen.  

The primary job of the keeper we need for Mohali is to keep wickets well - there is absolutely zero evidence that Panth is quality behind the stumps with the red ball in the long form of the game.  Parthiv Patel has done the job with the gloves behind the stumps for multiple FC seasons - ostensibly well enough to get the chance for this game.  That *has* to count for something.  If anyone should feel like they missed out, its "KKDK".

Nope...Karthik and Patel have time and time again shown they do not have the concentration nor the technique to be good keepers....so when that is already a proven fact that is backed by stats,numbers,visuals or even fan opinions whatever your pick is,the next option is to venture into the unknown....clearly Pant is not dropping catches left and right and his batting is right now out of the world.....again for the 4th time in this thread...why take a step backwards.

Pappu and again I repeat Pappu was thought to have a better keeping technique than Karthik...shouldn't that tell us something.

How are you assuming that Pant is a terrible keeper? that seems to be a more biased personal opinion.

Just now, maniac said:

Nope...Karthik and Patel have time and time again shown they do not have the concentration nor the technique to be good keepers....so when that is already a proven fact that is backed by stats,numbers,visuals or even fan opinions whatever your pick is,the next option is to venture into the unknown....clearly Pant is not dropping catches left and right and his batting is right now out of the world.....again for the 4th time in this thread...why take a step backwards.

Pappu and again I repeat Pappu was thought to have a better keeping technique than Karthik...shouldn't that tell us something.

How are you assuming that Pant is a terrible keeper? that seems to be a more biased personal opinion.

Where did I say he's terrible.  He's inexperienced in long-form cricket, where its not just about skill, its also about fitness - It takes experience and practice to be able to keep without making errors for long periods of time.  You could have the required skills but you need to do it in order to be able to execute it at high level for extended periods of time.  

And its clear bias and immaturity on your part if you want to use Parthiv's shoddy keeping from 12 years ago to judge him today.  Again, I'm no Parthiv fan, quite the opposite.  But at least there's a track record to go by, not saying he's Kirmani-class 'keeper, but he's adequate now.  

10 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Where did I say he's terrible.  He's inexperienced in long-form cricket, where its not just about skill, its also about fitness - It takes experience and practice to be able to keep without making errors for long periods of time.  You could have the required skills but you need to do it in order to be able to execute it at high level for extended periods of time.  

And its clear bias and immaturity on your part if you want to use Parthiv's shoddy keeping from 12 years ago to judge him today.  Again, I'm no Parthiv fan, quite the opposite.  But at least there's a track record to go by, not saying he's Kirmani-class 'keeper, but he's adequate now.  

Ok Sorry didn't know you were using some kind of a scientific equipment/device which determines when a player becomes experienced enough in long form cricket to get a shot in internationals....in that case I apologize and concede this debate.

If not

Fitness,skill and practice-Point taken...again how are you saying that Pant lacks in all of these...It is not like people are advocating a guy from the Dussera T20 tennis ball leagues....The guy has played FC matches where we all already seem to be on a consensus that his batting has been out of the world,now coming to keeping-How are you judging he is not ready.....Did he drop catches/Miss stumpings in these matches?

What do you mean adequate? You need a player who has hit a purple patch and in great form and is on the top of the world right now....He is playing in long form cricket and there is no evidence that shows he is a poor keeper....so no justification whatsoever losing a spot to Patel.

Edited by maniac
Just now, maniac said:

Fitness,skill and practice-Point taken...again how are you saying that Pant lacks in all of these...It is not like people are advocating a guy from the Dussera T20 tennis ball leagues....The guy has played FC matches where we all already seem to be on a consensus that his batting has been out of the world,now coming to keeping-How are you judging he is not ready.....Did he drop catches/Miss stumpings in these matches?

The guy has played a total of seven FC matches.  Thats it.  By any yardstick that's not enough experience for a test team wicket-keeper.  Stop salivating over his batting to understand that simple point. 

3 minutes ago, sandeep said:

The guy has played a total of seven FC matches.  Thats it.  By any yardstick that's not enough experience for a test team wicket-keeper.  Stop salivating over his batting to understand that simple point. 

Ok let us take a step back here...so You are saying Patel is the right choice?

If not who?

Confused here...because at least I am clear in who should have been in place of an injured Ojha who I think should have been the natural replacement to injured Saha....but I still haven't understood from your post who needs to be the keeper in this game.

27 minutes ago, maniac said:

Ok let us take a step back here...so You are saying Patel is the right choice?

If not who?

Confused here...because at least I am clear in who should have been in place of an injured Ojha who I think should have been the natural replacement to injured Saha....but I still haven't understood from your post who needs to be the keeper in this game.

I would have wanted to see Karthik.  But think Patel is OK too.  Definitely ahead of Panth.    

What comes out as the chief reason behind BCCI's decision to sub Pant is the fact that Patel was a left-hander.

An unnamed BCCI official told ESPNcricinfo that “Being a left-hand bat – England have a leg-spinner and a left-arm spinner in Adil Rashid and Zafar Ansari. So, a left-hander will add more to the team.”

While many would ridicule this reason, another factor that went against Pant was that it was logistically impossible for him to reach Mohali before Friday evening since he is currently involved in the Ranji Trophy match in Kerala.

Pant, who is currently topping the run charts in the Ranji Trophy with 874 runs, would have to travel to either Kochi or Thiruvananthapuram by road from Wayanad, and then take a flight to Delhi followed by another connecting flight to Chandigarh in order to reach Mohali.

Full article- http://zeenews.india.com/sports/cricket/india-vs-england-2016/parthiv-patel-vs-rishabh-pant-logistical-issue-prevented-selectors-from-picking-delhis-run-machine_1952706.html?src=fb

Edited by Ankit_sharma03

http://www.espncricinfo.com/india-v-england-2016-17/content/story/1068062.html

Parthiv has stacked up a neat collection of scores in the last few years: since 2012-13, he has never averaged less than 45 in the Ranji Trophy. This season, he has already scored three fifties and a hundred in eight innings, at an average of nearly 60. Far more noteworthy, though, is his improved showing behind the stumps in the last two years. It is understood to be one of the reasons behind Parthiv getting the nod ahead of other contenders like Dinesh Karthik, who has also been among the runs this year.