Anderson questions Kohli technique

mishra

1 hour ago, rkt.india said:

Fast bowlers and spinners are not comparable in terms of stats. Great fast bowlers mostly have have averages sub 25 at least or SR under 55 mostly while this is not the case with spinners.  We to have Zak who has 300 plus wickets averages 30 odd but he is not an ATG, just an Indian ATG, also Srinath.

Off topic but I loved Srinath - I feel like he had no support in his heyday. He is definitely in an all-time India XI for me (and honestly I think he would have walked into most international sides when he played in the mid to late 90s). He was a threat in all conditions (even with reverse swing in that epic win in Ahmedabed in 1996 vs SA) and also he was phaaaaast :smiley:

Srinath would have taken a lot more wickets in his prime if he had pace bowling support at the other end.  This has been the biggest problem for us over the years.  Opposition teams could always play out that one good bowler we had, and relax at the other end, even score runs.  Even during that disastrous aussie tour in 1999, where we got smashed - IIRC day 1, session 1, we had taken 5 aussie wickets and were well positioned in the test.  But we could not sustain it and then the match got away from us.  

For India to win test matches consistently away from home, you need three effective seamers.  Not all of them need to be world-beaters, but they at least need to sustain pressure and accuracy.  We've always lacked that.  That's one thing that looks to be improving today - Ishant may not be all that we wanted him to be.  But as a 3rd seamer, backing up Shami and Bhuvi on a seamer-friendly track, he will do a very decent job.  

1 hour ago, putrevus said:

Anderson might not be an ATG fast bowler but he sure is a great bowler.I would say Anderson is a fitter version of Zak. Zak definitely is a very good bowler , if he had better fitness would have taken 400 plus wickets easy.

Please! If Zaheer had bowled his entire life in england, he would have taken 800 wickets!

4 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

Please! If Zaheer had bowled his entire life in england, he would have taken 800 wickets!

I don't think so Zaheer never had fitness which is needed to last that long, Zak had one good series in England and in that series also he ran out of gas in third test. Zak's main problem was fitness.

11 hours ago, putrevus said:

I don't think so Zaheer never had fitness which is needed to last that long, Zak had one good series in England and in that series also he ran out of gas in third test. Zak's main problem was fitness.

we are talking about the quality of bowling. not fitness. And in that respect, Zaheer would have taken 800 wickets had he played in england his entire life.

Srinath would have taken a lot more wickets in his prime if he had pace bowling support at the other end.  This has been the biggest problem for us over the years.  Opposition teams could always play out that one good bowler we had, and relax at the other end, even score runs.  Even during that disastrous aussie tour in 1999, where we got smashed - IIRC day 1, session 1, we had taken 5 aussie wickets and were well positioned in the test.  But we could not sustain it and then the match got away from us.  

For India to win test matches consistently away from home, you need three effective seamers.  Not all of them need to be world-beaters, but they at least need to sustain pressure and accuracy.  We've always lacked that.  That's one thing that looks to be improving today - Ishant may not be all that we wanted him to be.  But as a 3rd seamer, backing up Shami and Bhuvi on a seamer-friendly track, he will do a very decent job.  

Bhuvi isnt going to be much use in Australia or South Africa .

We still don't have decent bowlers to sustain and win in countries like Australia or SA.Only adequate one is Shami and even he has fitness issues .

9 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

We still don't have decent bowlers to sustain and win in countries like Australia or SA.Only adequate one is Shami and even he has fitness issues .

Would like to see how Ankit Rajpoot goes in Aus and SA. Need tall bowlers at those places.

9 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Would like to see how Ankit Rajpoot goes in Aus and SA. Need tall bowlers at those places.

Yes....but  his  rather average Ranji season will make it difficult for him unless the selectors show some foresight.

Nathu and Aniket would come in handy too.  The first gets the ball to rear up from short of good length and the second one is tall too.

Edited by express bowling
5 hours ago, BeautifulGame said:

If Bhuvi is fit and gets to play in SA - this post will be boomerang on you - froggie style:bow:

Edited by sandeep
5 hours ago, rkt.india said:

Aaron can do some damane in Australia I feel. He is not as tall as probably the ones you mentioned but if fit I feel Aaron now might deliver in Australia. His action and bowling style perhaps might suit the wickets. We need to get our slip cordon in check and I am sure a combination of him, Shami and Bhuvi can get us some break throughs.  Aaron can be good with the tail also.

17 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Aaron can do some damane in Australia I feel. He is not as tall as probably the ones you mentioned but if fit I feel Aaron now might deliver in Australia. His action and bowling style perhaps might suit the wickets. We need to get our slip cordon in check and I am sure a combination of him, Shami and Bhuvi can get us some break throughs.  Aaron can be good with the tail also.

Problem with Aaron is consistency. He tries too much and at times bowls too aggressively and leaks runs. In Australia, you need bowlers who can bowl relentlessly in one area and exploit some bounce and decent pace, 135-140 at least.

1 minute ago, rkt.india said:

Problem with Aaron is consistency. He tries too much and at times bowls too aggressively and leaks runs. In Australia, you need bowlers who can bowl relentlessly in one area and exploit some bounce and decent pace, 135-140 at least.

Yes and that is what I found with most pace bowlers and even Umesh. If Umesh or even Aaron can keep a consistent line and stop bowling barrage of bouncers which they tried on last trip, and stick to middle and off line along with occasional short stuff, we might actually do well. Weather it was Dhoni's instruction to our bowlers to keep bowling and trying short or the coach's, the bowler is to blame at certain point. 

Hopefully, they hire a bowling coach before that and someone can tell them to do your basics right instead of getting too excited to bowl short. 

6 hours ago, express bowling said:

Yes....but  his  rather average Ranji season will make it difficult for him unless the selectors show some foresight.

Nathu and Aniket would come in handy too.  The first gets the ball to rear up from short of good length and the second one is tall too.

Well perhaps that is a possibility - after all they did pick Ishant for Australia in '08 when he was still 19. Not sure what his Ranji record was at the time, but I assume selectors saw his potential on bouncy Aussie pitches.

Well perhaps that is a possibility - after all they did pick Ishant for Australia in '08 when he was still 19. Not sure what his Ranji record was at the time, but I assume selectors saw his potential on bouncy Aussie pitches.

He was actually picked for the home series against Pakistan first .He picked a 5-fer in one of the tests and booked his place in the squad to Australia

16 hours ago, Riju23 said:

Ishant had barely played 6-7 FC games at that time. Rajpoot has played multiple FC seasons.