Kohli wants Rahane in Champions Trophy squad

Virat Kohli Puts His Weight Behind Ajinkya Rahane For The Opening Slot 

ICC Champions Trophy 2017: India’s young opening batsman KL Rahul has ruled out of ICC Champions Trophy 2017 due to injured shoulder. Rahul is one of the most exciting young batsmen in India and he impressed one and all with his impressive display of batting in the grand home season 2016/17. But now that he is injured, it will be interesting to see who will be selectors’ pick for the opening slot alongside Rohit Sharma, in ICC Champions Trophy 2017 in England.

According to a report published ABP News, Virat Kohli has talked about the replacement for the KL Rahul to the board. The Indian skipper wants Ajinkya Rahane to replace KL Rahul. Even though Gautam Gambhir and Shikhar Dhawan are in good form, Kohli wants selectors to pick Rahane for the opening slot.

If this report is true, it is hard to understand why Kohli wants to pick Rahane, who is in horrible form in the ongoing tenth season of Indian Premier League, ahead of Gautam Gambhir and Shikhar Dhawan, who have been in good run-scoring touch in IPL 2017.

The likes of Sourav Ganguly and Ravi Shastri have put their weight behind Gautam Gambhir for the opening slot.

“Gambhir deserves a place in the national team for the forthcoming Champions Trophy. He is in excellent touch,” india.com quoted Ganguly as saying. “I am truly elated to have watched Gambhir’s dedication even after playing the game for so many years. More importantly, KL Rahul is yet to regain fitness following injury. So, it will be high time for the selectors to think over Gambhir for the Champions Trophy,” Ganguly said.

“As a batsman, Gambhir has been unstoppable. Nobody has hit more boundaries or 50s. His cuts still thread past the pointcover region; his dabs still have third man diving desperately and raking up a laundry bill.That he hardly hits a six tells us about the options he still has at the crease. It’s been a task for bowlers to keep him pinned to one end,” Shastri wrote in his Times of India column.

:wall:

First of all Ganguly and Shastri needs to shut up. Kohli is the captain and he must get the team he thinks fit. Ganguly did the same during his captaincy days, so did Dhoni. I somehow feel Kohli is not getting the complete freedom as a captain in LOI cricket like he get for tests.

Having said that not sure if Rahane is a good selection. He is struggling for form and a left-right combination is required at top of the order. Dhawan is a big tournament player and I would partner him with Rohit.

Kohli at 3.

Dhoni at 4.

I would select Raina at 5. He is clearly in better form than Yuvraj.

Jadhav at 6.

Pandya at 7.

Mishra/Kuldeep at 8.

Bhuvi

Shami

Bumrah

That will be my playing XI, atleast for first game.

Backup players - Jadeja, Pant, Umesh, Yuvraj

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, Autonomous said:

Yes, But we have Azhar Ali, Shehzad And Hafeez. And you are the one crying. 

I guess the difference is you may not have too many options but trust me we do. There are bunch of folks who are better than Rahane but somehow he's the golden child for the selectors. Rahane should stick to Tests just like Pujara and Murali Vijay. Rahane is a liability in shorter formats and should not be anywhere the shorter formats.

4 minutes ago, Ultimate_Game said:

I guess the difference is you may not have too many options but trust me we do. There are bunch of folks who are better than Rahane but somehow he's the golden child for the selectors. Rahane should stick to Tests just like Pujara and Murali Vijay. Rahane is a liability in shorter formats and should not be anywhere the shorter formats.

We actually do have different options as well. CT Squad was a shocker...

You are selecting a player who never was good in this format, and top of it is in horrible form in each of the formats.Good luck winning against decent teams with opener like that. My hope is that by WC'19 all these buddies/same timeline players will be gone from the system. We will get in a system where seniority/name doesn't mean a jackshit, but your recent form.