Techie Jumped From 4th Floor, Said 'No Job Security' In Suicide Note

Haarkarjeetgaye

The honeymoon is over...

http://m.ndtv.com/india-news/techie-who-jumped-from-4th-floor-blamed-no-job-security-in-suicide-note-1724512?pfrom=home-topstories

Pune: A 25-year-old software engineer from Andhra Pradesh who jumped off the fourth floor of a hotel in Pune early on Thursday cited 'lack of job security' in the industry in his suicide letter, the police has said.

Gopikrishna Guruprasad also tried to slash his wrists before jumping off the hotel in Pune's Vimanagar area, the police added.  

"In IT there is no job security. I am worried a lot about my family," Guruprasad wrote in his note. 

The police were informed by the management of the hotel about the incident following which the 25-year-old was rushed to a hospital where he was declared dead on arrival. A post-mortem was conducted and the body handed over to his family.

Guruprasad was working with an IT company in Pune and had earlier worked in Delhi and Hyderabad.
"In IT there is no job security. I am worried a lot about my family," Guruprasad wrote in his note. 

The police were informed by the management of the hotel about the incident following which the 25-year-old was rushed to a hospital where he was declared dead on arrival. A post-mortem was conducted and the body handed over to his family.

Guruprasad was working with an IT company in Pune and had earlier worked in Delhi and Hyderabad.

The suicide comes amid protests against massive layoffs by IT companies across the country. Many IT professionals have expressed concerns over reports of layoffs, which have majorly resulted from the increase in difficulty in acquiring H-1B visas. Most Indian Information Technology companies use H-1B visas to send employees to the US. 

A body of IT workers called the Forum for Information Technology Employees or FITE) is also reportedly set to get itself registered as the first union of techies in the country, to battle against large scale layoffs by IT companies and the toughening stance of developed nations on work visas and increasing automation in the industry.

Kal ek result aaya govt. Exam ka for which I had been preparing...mera rank#1 aaya hai 18000 logon me...I have been interacting with several people who were preparing for the same job. Bahut mara mari hai. Jobs ki bahut kami hai desh me...UBI (universal basic income) should be implemented soon.

People and the society should also introspect that is it only the money and materialism where they are interested or they can be content with so-called smaller things.

11 minutes ago, randomGuy said:

Kal ek result aaya govt. Exam ka for which I had been preparing...mera rank#1 aaya hai 18000 logon me...I have been interacting with several people who were preparing for the same job. Bahut mara mari hai. Jobs ki bahut kami hai desh me...UBI (universal basic income) should be implemented soon.

People and the society should also introspect that is it only the money and materialism where they are interested or they can be content with so-called smaller things.

Help me understand what problem will UBI solve and how?

27 minutes ago, Haarkarjeetgaye said:

Help me understand what problem will UBI solve and how?

Exploitation, desperation etc.

Rest, people have to lower their expectations on future job prospects.... Unemployment has to be seen like it's  normal. In future, I see jobs only in Medicare, agriculture and processing, tourism and hospitality, restaurants , food joints sector. IT, manufacturing, infra, construction, finance etc. jobs won't be there like they used to be.

Edited by randomGuy

This is sad. The big downside of capitalism.These things happen in the west as well.

For all of the people stating that he should have been less materialistic - we get used to a certain lifestyle and it is difficult to downscale significantly, it hurts our ego too much. That is why lots of stock traders and millionaires who lose all their money commit suicide.

Job market is getting bad everywhere , there are cost cutting measures and with the education level rising up and more affordable - people on average are having bigger and better degrees and the level of competetition is up academically however with cost saving measures the jobs are actually on the decline.

With technology , as was warned decades ago - a lot of jobs are at stake !  -  Lot of work can be done by technology nowadays - Customer Service , Taxes ,  Information processing , Insurance quotes - all this can be done in minutes thus saving a lot of money for the companies but cutting down costs in manpower. 

Education is losing its value as it's an investment at the end of the day which may not pay off. 

I was reading that Radiologists will be redundant in about 15-20 years with algorithms doing all the jobs.

If you look at star wars extended universe all the medical diagnostics etc are done by computers. While I dont expect computers to fully replace doctors I think the sector will basically contract in terms of employment. Instead of hiring 10 doctors 2-3 will be hired to check out the really difficult cases.

This is why India as a country really need to boost textiles. Its one of those sectors which is still relatively resistant to technology.

Another aspect, the insurance industry is expended to contract 85% if we have self driving vehicles. cabbies will be all but redundant. But the fine dining industry will boom due to more people eating out as they dont have to pay for cabs. 

44 minutes ago, G_B_ said:

I was reading that Radiologists will be redundant in about 15-20 years with algorithms doing all the jobs.

If you look at star wars extended universe all the medical diagnostics etc are done by computers. While I dont expect computers to fully replace doctors I think the sector will basically contract in terms of employment. Instead of hiring 10 doctors 2-3 will be hired to check out the really difficult cases.

This is why India as a country really need to boost textiles. Its one of those sectors which is still relatively resistant to technology.

Another aspect, the insurance industry is expended to contract 85% if we have self driving vehicles. cabbies will be all but redundant. But the fine dining industry will boom due to more people eating out as they dont have to pay for cabs. 

bangla is competing with us  in textiles .. unless governemt supports , will be difficult .. 

dying factories without water treatment  ( water treatment plant is costly for small dyeing firms .. like for 50L plant , it costs 25L to install treatment plant )   are not allowed and waterless dyeing is too expensive ..

one thing my friends told is that its damn easy to get an export license now and no need to bother about settlements ( lettter of credit is available with most of the countries ) after modi came to power

Edited by velu

14 hours ago, randomGuy said:

Exploitation, desperation etc.

Rest, people have to lower their expectations on future job prospects.... Unemployment has to be seen like it's  normal. In future, I see jobs only in Medicare, agriculture and processing, tourism and hospitality, restaurants , food joints sector. IT, manufacturing, infra, construction, finance etc. jobs won't be there like they used to be.

Read a bit about it. What is the amount being proposed and will that be enough for survival in case of no jobs? and what impact will it have on the fiscal burden. The money will have to come from somewhere.

Edited by Haarkarjeetgaye

5 hours ago, Haarkarjeetgaye said:

Read a bit about it. What is the amount being proposed and will that be enough for survival in case of no jobs? and what impact will it have on the fiscal burden. The money will have to come from somewhere.

other subsidies will have to be cut of course. 

An annual amount of 8k-10k per Unemployed adult having less than 'x'  bank balance (10k for metro, 8k for non-metro ) should probably be decent I guess (keeping in mind the possible impact on inflation, on fiscal deficit, how many people avail this obviously will have direct bearing on how much can be disbursed per person)....Both wife and husband can claim if both are unemployed...Bahut help ho jaega...probably will alter their decision to move to a metro in search of non-existent employment... Probably will save cities from over population, will give basic dignity in life to the poorest, saves from exploitation, desperation etc.

20 hours ago, randomGuy said:

Congratulations on your result!

I do recommend you to read Seth Godin's book Icarus Deception, he talks of connection economy which will run the future.

This is an interesting read on connection economy - http://www.weareallconnected.co.uk/its-the-connection-economy/

2 hours ago, randomGuy said:

other subsidies will have to be cut of course. 

An annual amount of 8k-10k per Unemployed adult having less than 'x'  bank balance (10k for metro, 8k for non-metro ) should probably be decent I guess (keeping in mind the possible impact on inflation, on fiscal deficit, how many people avail this obviously will have direct bearing on how much can be disbursed per person)....Both wife and husband can claim if both are unemployed...Bahut help ho jaega...probably will alter their decision to move to a metro in search of non-existent employment... Probably will save cities from over population, will give basic dignity in life to the poorest, saves from exploitation, desperation etc.

Makes sense, though I doubt the financials. Is this already proposed as a bill or any talk around it.

2 hours ago, MechEng said:

Congratulations on your result!

I do recommend you to read Seth Godin's book Icarus Deception, he talks of connection economy which will run the future.

This is an interesting read on connection economy - http://www.weareallconnected.co.uk/its-the-connection-economy/

Thx bro. apologies to all for the shameless bragging :D

This is good. TFS. It had already come to my mind. I had seen a possible issue with measuring the ‘Return on Relationships’ (ROR).  As many of us believe in giving only for self-satisfaction, not for competing or for its reward points...remember 'neki kar aur kuwain de daal' etc.

33 minutes ago, Haarkarjeetgaye said:

Makes sense, though I doubt the financials. Is this already proposed as a bill or any talk around it.

Not as a bill afaik but talks were there I think. these figures are my own , based on random ~30/- per day.

Edited by randomGuy

I am incredibly astounded at obsession of Andhra guys with IT jobs in America. They have a dedicated group of people who takes your interview for 500$. In Indian companies if they have power to hire they hire only telugu guys not from other states. Their resume is full of fake jobs, fake degrees. They resort to gambling a lot to make money. Money , money, money. They go to any length. Recently one guy killed daughter of his friend in a botched ransom attempt.  Sorry for stereotyping. IT job is not the only job in the world. Wake up. There are lot more satisfying job out there. 

The guy was 25 and he was still in company provided hotel accommodation , which means he joined not more than 2 weeks back . The company he joined I think came in the Top5 best companies to work for in this years survey . I find it difficult to believe job security was the reason .

if that indeed was the reason , I have no sympathy for such people . He was going to kill himself some day for some other reason anyway . Feel sorry for his father and sister , they are the ones who are going to suffer now .