Steve Smith - Test Batting Ranking

velu

Just now, velu said:

Currently smith has got 938 points ( on 11th december  Highest 941 ).

Second highest points are 945 and two players scored 942.

Probably once his points are updated , he might move to the second best ever test batsmen behind only to Don Bradman.

statistically, he is already there. no one who's played >50 tests ever attained a peak avg of 62. amonst the modern players, SRT and Dravid had about 59, Punter and Gilly had around 60, Sanga had around 58-59, etc.

17 minutes ago, New guy said:

How is one time peak or average indicative of best batsmen? if he plays for next 5 years and gets duck every single innings will he be second best batsman because he attained some one time ranking points or a peak average once?

Yes, he will remain the batsman with 2nd best rating even if he gets ducks every single inning.

Peak is normally what any sportsperson is measured, at peak what they were capable off is remembered by most. What Smith has achieved after so many tests and averaging so high and scoring so many hundreds and fifties .He is almost reaching 50 plus in half of times he comes to crease and that is mind boggling.

7 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Peak is normally what any sportsperson is measured, at peak what they were capable off is remembered by most. What Smith has achieved after so many tests and averaging so high and scoring so many hundreds and fifties .He is almost reaching 50 plus in half of times he comes to crease and that is mind boggling.

yes, 'tis the peak that matters. as I wrote above, a couple of indians achieved an avg of close to 60 (59 or so) at some point in their career, before it slid away.

smith is of course a freak. we are lucky to see him bat.

Edited by Vijy
1 hour ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

He will almost certainly overtake Bradman's peak rating tomorrow. When Kohli got 235 vs England at Mumbai in 2016 (a match that followed a similar pattern to the one at WACA) his rating increased by 50+. Smith is at 938 so is on course to be at least 975+ once the rankings are updated.

not sure whether he can cross 961 .. 

5 minutes ago, Rasgulla said:

How much did sachin have:cantstop::cantstop:

What about Dravid:cheer:

Sunny 916

SRT 898

Kohli 895

Dravid 892

Pujara 888

I think Kohli would have crossed 900 if India had won the Delhi Test. Both Kohli and Pujara are one great (in statistical terms) match-winning knock away from the 900 rating. Sunny and Ashwin are the only Indians to have crossed the 900 mark. Sir Jadeja was almost there with 899.

1 hour ago, velu said:

not sure whether he can cross 961 .. 

He will IMO. If Kohli can get a nice 50+ points boost by scoring 235 against England at home, so can Smith. The fact that the English attack features Anderson who's got 894 pts and ranked no. 1 makes it even more likely.

Edited by Jimmy Cliff
17 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

He will IMO. If Kohli can get a nice 50+ points boost by scoring 235 against England at home, so can Smith. The fact that the English attack features Anderson who's got 894 pts and ranked no. 1 makes it even more likely.

I think so as well. Andie is well rated and although Barbie has been poor, I imagine his rating is not too bad.

25 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

Increase of 50+ is a huge number. Isnt higher the rating means more difficulty to get rating points?

I feel he will still become 2nd which itself is a kickass rating.

28 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

Sunny 916

SRT 898

Kohli 895

Dravid 892

Pujara 888

I think Kohli would have crossed 900 if India had won the Delhi Test. Both Kohli and Pujara are one great (in statistical terms) match-winning knock away from the 900 rating. Sunny and Ashwin are the only Indians to have crossed the 900 mark. Sir Jadeja was almost there with 899.

good old Sir Jaddu - at which test did his ranking reach 899?