No place like that: Swaraj to Man from 'Indian Occupied Kashmir'

Stradlater

A student from Jammu and Kashmir with “Indian occupied Kashmir” set as his Twitter location was schooled by external affairs minister Sushma Swaraj on Thursday after he asked for help from the Philippines.

Sheikh Ateeq, who tweets from his @SAteEQ019, requested Swaraj to help him with getting a new passport and said he needed to get back to his “home, India” as his health was deteriorating.

“I am from J&K doing medicine course here in Philippines my passport got damaged I applied for new one 1 month ago I request u pls help me to get it as i literally need to go home for medical checkup (sic),” Ateeq tweeted.

Ateeq had asked Swaraj for help on April 5 on the social media platform.

“Dear ma’am @SushmaSwaraj I greatly need your help. Is there anything u can do to rush the process of my passport as it is damaged. I need to get back to my home, India. My health is detereorating and I cannot shoulder the expenses any more as I’m student (sic),” he said in his earlier tweet.

Swaraj, who actively addresses people’s grievances on Twitter, replied to Ateeq saying she would have helped him if he belonged to the state of Jammu and Kashmir.

“Your profile says you are from ‘Indian occupied Kashmir’. There is no place like that,” Swaraj tweeted.

Soon after, Ateeq corrected the location on his Twitter bio to “jammu &kashmir/ manila”.

Swaraj acknowledged the correction in a tweet that was shared minutes later and asked the Indian embassy in Manila to help the medical student.

https://m.hindustantimes.com/india-news/student-from-indian-occupied-kashmir-asks-sushma-swaraj-for-help-no-place-like-that-she-tells-him/story-TP1bLLk1ZHVhT52cAXimJI.html?utm_source=inshorts&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=fullarticle

Such a shame that 'azadi' was out of window as soon as the chips were down. 

Bloody hypocrites.

Kashmiris are shady people, very deceptive. They aren't like other Indian Muslims, have had horrible experiences with them. 1000s of them also set base in Kolkata in the carpet and handicrafts shops, never take them at face value because there is always a deep ulterior motive in all their words/actions.

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

Kashmiris are shady people, very deceptive. They aren't like other Indian Muslims, have had horrible experiences with them. 1000s of them also set base in Kolkata in the carpet and handicrafts shops, never take them at face value because there is always a deep ulterior motive in all their words/actions.

We have to understand their problem from their side too. is n't it. Kashmir valley is predominantly a muslim region and they have the right to be part of what they want to be. I think Indian government is taking things to the extreme. Let ppl decide what country they want to be. Let us not enforce it through military action. 

The thing would be different if Kashmir was a hindu-dominated place. Traditionally since 13th century, it has been slowly becoming a muslim place because of the conversion of king, commander-in-chief and later more and more nobles. From Wikipedia:

Rinchan converted to Islam after coming into contact with Sayyid Sharfudin, a Sufi preacher commonly known as Bulbul Shah. He changed his name to Sultan Sardarudin Shah after converting to Islam, and thus became the first Muslim ruler of Kashmir. Following the conversion of Rinchan, his commander in chief also became Muslim. The royal patronage for Islam won it new converts, and according to one source, many Kashmiris embraced the creed of Bulbul Shah.

This is how Islam spread across the world in places where there was a previously established religion such as Persia. Conversion of ruler and then the subjects are encouraged to follow suit. If India was smaller and but for Tulasi das and Bhakti movement (by Chaintanya Prabhu etc.) we would have been an Islamic nation by now. 

If I was him, i would have died but not asked mister of a state which is occupying my land. 

They are besharam people. Sale nautanki freedom fighters. If there were from pakistan, they would have realized the value of India and indian state.

Edited by dial_100

12 minutes ago, sarcastic said:

We have to understand their problem from their side too. is n't it. Kashmir valley is predominantly a muslim region and they have the right to be part of what they want to be. I think Indian government is taking things to the extreme. Let ppl decide what country they want to be. Let us not enforce it through military action. 

The thing would be different if Kashmir was a hindu-dominated place. Traditionally since 13th century, it has been slowly becoming a muslim place because of the conversion of king, commander-in-chief and later more and more nobles. From Wikipedia:

This is how Islam spread across the world in places where there was a previously established religion such as Persia. Conversion of ruler and then the subjects are encouraged to follow suit. If India was smaller and but for Tulasi das and Bhakti movement (by Chaintanya Prabhu etc.) we would have been an Islamic nation by now. 

You do realize the strategic and military importance of Kashmir, do you? 

Kya koi khairat bat rahi hai ki jo aao le jao? 

Hinduism was saved by Tulsidas? Thats a new one.

Edited by Stradlater

We will be extremely vulnerable if kashmir is not on our side. Issue is not pak, we are more worried about China.

Besides, one should not be encourage to use barbarism and persecution to dominate local population and then claim the territory based on majority.

Nothing doing. Koi khairat nahi. 

7 minutes ago, sarcastic said:

I understand their predicament but don't feel sorry for them. Had they not wiped out the Pandits, had they not taken up arms against the Indian state, had they not collaborated with an enemy nation to bleed India by a 1000 cuts, had they not spread terrorism throughout the country...I would have sympathized with them. In fact I believe many Indians would have reacted differently if the Kashmir struggle were a peaceful, democratic, non violent one like we had against the Brits. Kashmiris have proved that they can't live with non Muslims by wiping out the minority community from their lands, their struggle is more religious than political where they want to establish an Islamic state or merge with one, thereby putting all infidels to sword. Sorry I can never support such a struggle. And when countries like Pakistan and China get involved, I have even more reasons to be suspicious. Kashmiris already have excessive rights (land, employment, residency) by constitutional mechanism, they get more money than they generate by unjust tax distribution among Ladakh/Jammu/Valley, JK has always had Kashmiri Muslim CMs, Kashmiris enjoy all rights in India which Indians can't dream of there, no one is stopping them from earning money and fame or assuming powerful positions....yeh sab chor kar if they want to continue their armed struggle they don't deserve our sympathy.

14 minutes ago, Stradlater said:

You do realize the strategic and military importance of Kashmir, do you? 

Kya koi khairat bat rahi hai ki jo aao le jao? 

Hinduism was saved by Tulsidas? Thats a new one.

The Sufi Islamic preachers used to attract lot of devotees in India. I heard that if not for Ram Charit Manas (RCM) and Hanuman Chalisa, much more significant chunk of Hindi belt would have converted to Islam. The entire Gangetic plains would have been like Kashmir now. Eventually a good chunk of North India would have been Islamic. (I m not saying it is a necessarily bad thing because then the people in North would have justified Islam just like today's Iranians do. They don't want to question Islamic dogma but accept it as the true religion. If you were born in a Muslim family, you would have said that too.)

Look, I am not judging what History would have been etc. but the power that Islamic sufis or the Islamic rulers have exerted. 

22 minutes ago, sarcastic said:

The Sufi Islamic preachers used to attract lot of devotees in India. I heard that if not for Ram Charit Manas (RCM) and Hanuman Chalisa, much more significant chunk of Hindi belt would have converted to Islam. The entire Gangetic plains would have been like Kashmir now. Eventually a good chunk of North India would have been Islamic. (I m not saying it is a necessarily bad thing because then the people in North would have justified Islam just like today's Iranians do. They don't want to question Islamic dogma but accept it as the true religion. If you were born in a Muslim family, you would have said that too.)

Look, I am not judging what History would have been etc. but the power that Islamic sufis or the Islamic rulers have exerted. 

Loads of assumptions there.

And you haven't answered my question on Kashmir 

5 minutes ago, Stradlater said:

Loads of assumptions there.

And you haven't answered my question on Kashmir 

I was responding to the second part of the post.

Yes, giving up Kashmir will be disastrous for Republic of India as Punjab will be the next target! 

However, I hope there is a solution to Kasmir issue though... continuous military deployment and sacrifice by the brave jawans has to find an eventual solution and not go on forever. 

59 minutes ago, BeardedAladdin said:

This is not how it works. The state has every right to act against any insurgency. I don't think the police forces and army do enough. 

Kashmir valley is Indian territory, just like Ladakh and Jammu. 

The ideal solution to this problem would be to enforce a shutdown of media coverage, Internet, and phone lines. Send in the police and kill all the Muslims. Resettle the land with people from other states. Apologize for it a few years later, when nobody cares. The government will need to ensure other countries look away when this happening, need good diplomacy. 

Why don't you go for the other thing. Implementation of Islamic law within that region and give all facilities like Islamic countries do. I heard that in Pakistan, every office should have a prayer room available for all employees to do their afternoon Namaaz. It is a law that Pakistan Government enforces upon its employers throughout the country. 

Such policies that Muslims would be ideal for them not to feel that they are a minority. 

1 hour ago, BeardedAladdin said:

Kashmir valley is Indian territory, just like Ladakh and Jammu. 

These Pak rectums are just something else.

They will point out the UN resolution to us for proving Kashmir is not Indian territory. But when the same UN declares their brethren terrorists, they will hail them as freedom fighters.

Bloody hypocrites.

Edited by motomaverick

3 hours ago, sarcastic said:

Why don't you go for the other thing. Implementation of Islamic law within that region and give all facilities like Islamic countries do. I heard that in Pakistan, every office should have a prayer room available for all employees to do their afternoon Namaaz. It is a law that Pakistan Government enforces upon its employers throughout the country. 

Such policies that Muslims would be ideal for them not to feel that they are a minority. 

Because we believe that public space and government space should not consider religion or religious requirements of the people. 
There are more than 1 religions in practically every country. Fact.

There are also atheists in practically every country. Also a fact.

Job of the government : to provide security, conditions for economic prosperity and  protection of rights for all citizens. 

How the heck is the government supposed to do this, if they start creating prayer hall, masjid this, temple that or start giving dietary, lifestyle consessions ?! They will ALWAYS make the playing field unequal for some citizens, by default, if they dont prescribe to said ' fast/payer routine. 

This is basic governing principle. You believe in something about how to live your life, based on a book someone wrote ? Awesome. All the power to you. Must be fun with all the time you free up for not trying to think for yourself. Cool. And it doesnt matter if people who agree with your 'version' are 1% or 99% or 99.999%. Keep it out of public space. Which is there to accomodate an equal environment for ALL people. 

13 minutes ago, BeardedAladdin said:

Do you have a better idea?

This is how Indira Gandhi stopped the Punjab insurgency. This is how Sri Lanka settled the Jaffna dispute. This is how Russia Won back Chechnya. This is how Israel keeps itself alive.

Israel is a different story because Palestine is not theirs and as such, they are not dealing with their own citizens. 

Punjab insurgey did not involve a genocide of the Punjabis. We were not killing Punjabis left, right and center, except for a 1 week-ish period in a few specific cities immediately after IG's death. 

youre talking about a group of people that despise you, and they want to kill you. They are criminals engaging in illegal behavior, they won't stop at nothing. You don't negotiate with these people, you have to kill them in order to secure the territory. It's very simple. 

Sure. But these people are YOUR CITIZENS. Ergo, they have exactly the same rights as you. Individual culpability is required. 

This is why Russia, China, etc. are not exactly places where people look forward to going or living there. 

Its a real failure of Indian diplomacy that they haven't been able to criminalize the activity of Muslims in Kashmir. Modi at least made a start towards making the rest of the world agree to India's concerns about terrorism. But they need to push further with this diplomatic approach by taking action and exterminating the Muslims. Hopefully they do this after the election. Article 370 will be easy to address if you kill at least half the Muslims. 

No, it is a basic failure of YOU to understand that a constitutional democracy with inalienable citizen rights cannot, legally justify profiling action against its citizens meted with violent force. What you sacrifice, in terms of social rights are not easy to get back.

9 hours ago, sarcastic said:

The Maharaja of Kashmir signed the pact to join with India when Pak sent invaders to forcefully occupy it. The invaders looted,raped, killed their very own Kashmiri Muslims then only Indian forces had to intervene & save the valley. Its surprising that the first city which they burnt was Muzzafarabad itself, the current PoK capital.
Even according to UN resolution on Kashmir, firstly Pak needs to vacate those areas which it has occupied & then India with a minimum standing force will go ahead to conduct a plebiscite. The Pakistanis would never agree to vacate it & hence India isn't under any obligation to conduct plebiscite.
If Indian govt had been like Russia or China the current situation could've been completely different. Kashmiri Pandits wouldnt had been displaced from their own land. If Kashmiris' heart is so pure, then why they'd let their minority Hindu brothers leave the valley? And who occupied their homes, got hold of their business; go figure. The cry of war against infidels came from local mosques only.
How much tax do these Kashmiri pau btw? They've got handloom shops all over the country,never ever seen them worry about something called ITR. They've got a separate constitution, separate flag, can setup a business in any part of our country. They've got more frigging rights than us but still moaning about Indian occupation.
 All nearest kin of the separatists live a comfy life & those who die in stone pelting are brain washed youngsters.
Its not the 90s where army was at the helm of things & many atrocities from our side got unreported. CRPF is in charge of maintaining order & they're not a killing force like the army. Even the counter terrorist ops against the terrorists are led by Rashtriya Rifles. So please dont believe the narrative that 8 lakh fauj is out there to curb the freedom movement.

What the Indian govt want from Kashmiris is not to aid the terrorist groups, smuggle weapons, pass crucial intel to the enemy or join the so called Intefada as our neighbours often quote. It has been drilled in their minds that getting freedom from Indian occupation would make all their problems disappear & sadly its an utopian dream. 

Edited by Turning_track

So more appeasement? becos that has really worked well with pak and pak trained militants. You have **** for brains or don't care about integrity of India. Which one is it??

Even if these things are granted, do you really think that it'd make a massive change? Its like making a goodwill gesture just to satisfy their needs, so they'd reciprocate with positive vibes. Similar initiatives to benefit locals in the past have failed to earn us their trust.