Why did England opt to field first?

sage

Overconfidence. And lead bowlers must have pestered the rookie man-child captain into having a shot at the inept Indian top order 1st up. Costly blunder, Root should have put his foot down and been logical...must already be kicking himself.

1 minute ago, sage said:

I am kicking myself as well. I wanted 1 more top order collapse and that would be enough to fly Sharma in. Now these hacks will stay for another 100 matches

Too early to predict lol not even one session is completed. Batsman will always find a way to get ourselves in trouble.

2 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Overconfidence. And lead bowlers must have pestered the rookie man-child captain into having a shot at the inept Indian top order 1st up. Costly blunder, Root should have put his foot down and been logical...must already be kicking himself.

you think Root alone decided it and Broadandu had no hand in this decision.?  They both are more senior players than Root.

1 minute ago, rkt.india said:

you think Root alone decided it and Broadandu had no hand in this decision.?  They both are more senior players than Root.

I said he must have been influenced by them, ofc it is up to the captain to do what is right instead of being swayed by others. If he indeed got swayed by them shows what a weak character he is, just like Kohli of shorter formats who can't pee without Dhoni's permission.

4 minutes ago, sage said:

Well predicted!

Knew it our batsman will make england come back into the game. Many would agree here that this is one of the weakest england team in last few years but still we are giving them easy chances to come back to game.