Modern fast bowlers- afraid to bowl yorkers?

cric_fan

I think apart from whatever Nasseer said, the bowlers of today are not as skilled as Wasim or Waqar or Kapil when it comes to yorkers. The simple proof is, bowlers are not willing to bowl yorkers even in Test matches where the batsmen would not play across the line or scoop. One of the reasons is, they are trying too much for a lot of variations, apart from yorkers. 

Wasim and Waqar, if one may say, were lucky that tech was no so advanced to do a thorough study on their technique back then and there was still a surprise/ shock factor. Now the players are over analyzed. 

With time, the batsmen have also gotten used to yorkers and they are naturally equipped better to deal with them than the players in 70's, 80's and 90's who were bamboozled by yorkers. 

I don’t thnk that they are scared. Bats have gone big and batsmen, especially lower order bats, are playing yorkers better because the defense has improved. So instead players are looking to try other things like bowling the odd slow ball etc.

One thing though I would love to see is that fast bowlers try to bowl few yorkers with the brand new ball. General advice from most coaches or captains are “use the new ball” which means they want the bowler to bowl in the right areas and focus on line and length as new ball will do things itself if you keep tight lin. As much as they are right that you should be using the new ball by keeping it the right areas, one should let the fast bowler “do his thing” for example - going for the stumps every now and then. Brett Lee and Maling are two bowlers who never gave a damn about that advice of “use the new ball”, they always tried for the yorkers even with the brand new ball. I loved watching both of these bowlers in their hey days

15 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

I think apart from whatever Nasseer said, the bowlers of today are not as skilled as Wasim or Waqar or Kapil when it comes to yorkers. The simple proof is, bowlers are not willing to bowl yorkers even in Test matches where the batsmen would not play across the line or scoop. One of the reasons is, they are trying too much for a lot of variations, apart from yorkers. 

Wasim and Waqar, if one may say, were lucky that tech was no so advanced to do a thorough study on their technique back then and there was still a surprise/ shock factor. Now the players are over analyzed. 

With time, the batsmen have also gotten used to yorkers and they are naturally equipped better to deal with them than the players in 70's, 80's and 90's who were bamboozled by yorkers. 

The simple thing you are forgetting is lack of bottle topped reverse swing.

Lazy or lack of desire. Bowlers come up with casual variations for the sake of them like slower ball & knuckle ball even though they get hammered off these deliveries. Yorkers require much more effort to bowl and practice to perfect and bowlers don't wanna do all that with all the money pouring these days for 365 day cricket.