Andrew Symonds says ‘monkeygate’ triggered his slide in international cricket

https://indianexpress.com/article/sports/cricket/andrew-symonds-says-monkeygate-triggered-his-slide-in-international-cricket-5431237/

Former Australian all-rounder Andrew Symonds says the ‘monkeygate’ incident during the home series against India in 2008 triggered his downfall in international cricket and even led to bouts of “binge drinking”.

Symonds accused Harbhajan Singh of calling him a ‘monkey’ in the Sydney Test, a claim that the Indian spinner denied. The infamous incident led to Harbhajan being banned for three games but it was overturned after the Indian team threatened to pull out of the tour.

The 43-year-old recalled how the entire episode affected him.

“From that moment on that was my downhill slide. I started to drink heavily as a result of it and my life was starting to dissolve around me,” Symonds told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.

“I felt the pressure and the weight of dragging those mates of mine into the cauldron of this cesspit that should never have got to this sort of point where we felt guilty.

“I was dealing with it the wrong way. I felt guilty that I’d dragged my mates (teammates) into something I didn’t think they deserved to be involved in.”

Symonds happened to play his last game for Australia in May 2009 and a month later his Cricket Australia contract was withdrawn after he was sent home from the World T20 for “breaking a number of team rules related to alcohol and other issues”.

On the ‘monkeygate’ incident, Symonds remained firm on his claim that Harbhajan had abused him on multiple occasions.

“I’d spoken to Harbhajan the series before in India, he’d called me a monkey before in India.

“I went into their dressing room and said, ‘Can I speak to Harbhajan for a minute outside please?’ So he came outside and I said, ‘Look, the name-calling’s got to stop or else it’s going to get out of hand.'”

“I went into their dressing room and said, ‘Can I speak to Harbhajan for a minute outside please?’ So he came outside and I said, ‘Look, the name-calling’s got to stop or else it’s going to get out of hand.'”/////

...and legend has it that bhajji replied "chalo let's talk our Mann ki baat"

... to which, andrew symonds got angry and left in a huff

then it is so good on Harbhajan ..... Quinton De cock has done the first step of this  to Warner of which the dividends are starting to pay off. Hope all the Aussie players get the same treatment. These double standard oppertunists think they can do what ever they want in the form of mental disintegration or intimidation.Even the Aussie media, umpires  & even  their crowds  take part in this unfair tactics.

The personnel abuse they commit on other players in utmost desperate match situations are  even of the most disrespectful nature.

Andrew Symonds is still not taking any responsibility for his actions. There was a judge from New Zealand who presided over the trial and declared Harby not guilty. If he has to hit the bottle because of that then he was a weak character to begin with. The only advise I have for him is to move on.

This also shows the duplicity of Aussies. When they were cheating in India for reviews BCCI let them get away with it. When it was Harby they made a huge deal out of it. Fricking Losers.

Symonds is a fool who was used and thrown out by his team mates and cricket board. He shouldn't have allowed himself to become a useful idiot in the hands of his cunning team mates who incited the racial angle. From the Clark Article. The bolded part is the joke of the century.

"If he had been offended? Different story. But he wasn’t so he was pursuing it for different reasons than the racial abuse law was set up for.

“After the first hearing, I go to Symmo and say, ‘Mate, you haven’t been offended by this at all. This doesn’t bother you.’

“He says, ‘But I’m sick and tired of them getting away with it. We never get away with anything, but they do.’

Edited by nevada