Data analytics to pick players

vvvslaxman

This was a report from early this year. 

In a presentation that lasted three-and-a-half hours, CKM Dhananjay, the Indian team’s data analyst used a data analytics software to show how a certain player performs and doesn’t, pitch condition in England and other such factors. Based on this report, it was alleged that Rishab Pant, who was in the probable list, was left out of the squad.

Guys they are using data analytics to select players :)

I wonder what data they used to pick Shardul

Shardul Thakur

Pitch condition : Flat

Output: Entertainment, more practice for Indian batsmen.

26 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

In a presentation that lasted three-and-a-half hours, CKM Dhananjay, the Indian team’s data analyst used a data analytics software to show how a certain player performs and doesn’t, pitch condition in England and other such factors. Based on this report, it was alleged that Rishab Pant, who was in the probable list, was left out of the squad.

Shardul Thakur

Shardul Thakur

Pitch: flat

A**: round

[opposite of flat is round. end of story]

Is this about Pant not being in original XV WC squad ?

Anyhow wrt to team selection, early last year when we saw host of changes around no 4, i realised no matter what logic is being used for player selection we aren't winning an ICC trophy under Virat. 

Under Dhoni everyone knew their role, were given an endless rope and finally it all clicked for Dhoni in Champions trophy in 13 which he won. Not counting WC11 cause that team Dhoni inherited than made. 

Virat appears so impulsive and so caught up in the moment that he seems to be following 'Zindagi na mileage dobara' philosophy on cricket field.

WC semi final had Rahul, Pant, Kartik and Dhoni 4 keepers, today he can't find spot for pant not even for his batting skills in a format of his choice. 

For me sit back enjoy match, we will win most cause we have a good team but no way are we winning a mens ICC cup anytime soon. 

Edited by jf1gp_1
11 minutes ago, jf1gp_1 said:

Is this about Pant not being in original XV WC squad ?

Anyhow wrt to team selection, early last year when we saw host of changes around no 4, i realised no matter what logic is being used for player selection we aren't winning an ICC trophy under Virat. 

Under Dhoni everyone knew their role, were given an endless rope and finally it all clicked for Dhoni in Champions trophy in 13 which he won. Not counting WC11 cause that team Dhoni inherited than made. 

Virat appears so impulsive and so caught up in the moment that he seems to be following 'Zindagi na mileage dobara' philosophy on cricket field.

WC semi final had Rahul, Pant, Kartik and Dhoni 4 keepers, today he can't find spot for pant not even for his batting skills in a format of his choice. 

For me sit back enjoy match, we will win most cause we have a good team but no way are we winning a mens ICC cup anytime soon. 

To give credit where it is due - Dhoni has a chilled out vibe which rubs off on the players and enables them to do their best. 3 ICC trophy wins is not a joke, he knows how to lead a team in a calm fashion. For the last couple of years he has been leading a dad's X1 at CSK and still getting great results. Shane Watson was a transformed player after moving from RCB to CSK and spoke about this as well. His example shows that Kohli isn't good at handling veterans either. 

Just now, nevada said:

To give credit where it is due - Dhoni has a chilled out vibe which rubs off on the players and enables them to do their best. 3 ICC trophy wins is not a joke, he knows how to lead a team in a calm fashion. For the last couple of years he has been leading a dad's X1 at CSK and still getting great results. Shane Watson was a transformed player after moving from RCB to CSK and spoke about this as well. His example shows that Kohli isn't good at handling veterans either. 

Rohit is also good at marshalling limited resources. Kane williamson does as well. Kohli is super lucky to have such an array of talents in the age group of early 20s at his disposal. Just that he is not picking them or backing them. Iyer getting the captaincy has really changed his mindset and provided added responsibilities. 

8 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Rohit is also good at marshalling limited resources. Kane williamson does as well. Kohli is super lucky to have such an array of talents in the age group of early 20s at his disposal. Just that he is not picking them or backing them. Iyer getting the captaincy has really changed his mindset and provided added responsibilities. 

Kohli needs to back his batsman in set positions like he has backed fast bowlers. Khalil, Shardul cant cry they werent given a proper run in a race where Saini and chahar seems favorites.  Even spinners have been given a decent run. 

When it comes to batting i dont know what happens to him, like a toddlers runs after every shiny theory and shastri is like ' ja jele zindagi'

I really hope Rohit has a good year as a test batsman and he can then lead india once we dont even make it to t20 semis. 

8 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

Shardul Thakur

so what happen to this data that they send pant at no.4 in WC semi final when top 3 were down, a guy whom they didnt trust to bring in original sqaud 

Edited by Ankit_sharma03
3 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:
  • Will they follow that Rohit avg overseas is lower then guys like bhuvi, ashwin jadeja
  • did they follow this data when they re-elected dhawan for Sa and then ENG tour again n again
  • Will they follow the data n drop umesh outside India 

If they use this data Rohit would never play n NZ/England/SA tests

12 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

Shardul Thakur

If they are using data analytics, I'd be interested to know what tools are they using. What kind of data are they crunching?  What is the timeframe of the data that they are considering?

A players performance cannot be assessed based on the type of pitch. They will have to base their calculation on the opponent and each player they are playing against. Which means each player of the Indian team rivaled against each player of NZ in each kind of conditions. 

Doubt they will have credible data. However, this assessment is not new. At the end of the day, I feel real match situations are so fluid that ML cant assess a players emotional journey. And hence may not be always right. 

29 minutes ago, Rightarmfast said:

If they are using data analytics, I'd be interested to know what tools are they using. What kind of data are they crunching?  What is the timeframe of the data that they are considering?

A players performance cannot be assessed based on the type of pitch. They will have to base their calculation on the opponent and each player they are playing against. Which means each player of the Indian team rivaled against each player of NZ in each kind of conditions. 

Doubt they will have credible data. However, this assessment is not new. At the end of the day, I feel real match situations are so fluid that ML cant assess a players emotional journey. And hence may not be always right. 

I think data analysis should only be used if player has played enough matches and sufficient data is available so that analysis is not distorted.

Actually data analysis can be great for performance improvement but for selection purposes apart from source data availability there are certain flaws:

-Current form: Data analysis will never elaborate current form and performance of the player

-Team combination: Your output analysis may tell you to drop a player however he maybe vital in terms of team combination or all-round abilities 

-Short term goals: If you have your next world cup in India which starts in 6 months, data analysis may tell you to drop an important spinner with rather poor record in SENA however you want him in your team to give him enough match time before an important event as his record in Indian conditions is superb

Edited by Autonomous
4 hours ago, ganeshran said:

Kohli is not trusting his lower middle order so he's trying to pack the side with bowlers who can bat. That's why thakur gets picked over Saini

The problem with Kohli is he goes with this safe thinking at the beginning of every series and then once he gets his ass kicked, keeps his head down and picks the right choices.

Its ok to make mistakes but he always seems to go back to stupidity every single time.

5 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

" The BCCI uses the SAP HANA Cloud Platform and SAP Lumira software to analyse statistics on scores, player performance, player profiles and more. The information is updated every 20 seconds."

I found somewhere.

31 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

" The BCCI uses the SAP HANA Cloud Platform and SAP Lumira software to analyse statistics on scores, player performance, player profiles and more. The information is updated every 20 seconds."

I found somewhere.

I haven't used Lumira but HANA is just hpc infrastructure.

The key is the stats and models they are creating . My guess is they have dashboards for each players performance and predictive modelling which takes into account opposition and other variables.