Speeds and Performances of Pacers and Spinners

29 minutes ago, New guy said:

Aaron will get his chance under Kohli. And competition for fast bowling slot will only make the likes of Ishant bowl better. I think Ishant will shine in the next match. No one fast bowler will dominate this series and all will bowl good in one innings or the other

Aaron is not a good Test bowler . His bowling is more suited for shorter format . Yadav in comparison has more skills and should do much better if he uses his head . 

5 hours ago, New guy said:

Aaron will get his chance under Kohli. And competition for fast bowling slot will only make the likes of Ishant bowl better. I think Ishant will shine in the next match. No one fast bowler will dominate this series and all will bowl good in one innings or the other

I would like to see Aaron under Kohli there is definitely a difference, Umesh looks a very diff bowler under Kohli. 

Right now we have only one fast bowler who is versatile, Umesh maybe can get there in a year or two n Ishant doesn't pick up many wkts, Aron, Aniket, Suyal, Nathu have to be looked at n groomed as if Shami cannot play sometime in future we have some options, Sran is promising but needs to be sent to Australis or England to be groomed n get stronger n fitter to be ready for test

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 1:16 PM, express bowling said:

Umesh actually bowled upto 148 k and Shami upto 149 k.

May be I missed the faster deliveries by both of them.

but mostly ishant and Umesh were most of the time between 138 to 145k where as shammi was 135 to 144k and a lot of balls between 135 to 140.

though I noticed shammi's bouncers are at shoulder height of batters and hence most deadly. ishant bouncers were never on target( body of batter) and umesh bouncers were close to batsmen.

ishant's bouncers were a waste of energy at all times. that's why though umesh got 5 wickets and shammi got 4 I wud say Shammi was a better bowler than Umesh in this test...ishant was pacy but wasted a lot of balls aimlessly..he needs to know that wi batters need to play to get out ..his bowling was easy to leave for wi batsmen.

2nd  test vs. WI  1st  day

Speed range of most deliveries  ( excluding slower balls )

Umesh  135  k  to 144  k.

Shami   135 k  to 144  k.

Ishant   135 k  to 143 k.

Shami was our best fast bowler today. Bowled with pace and bounce. Tried to set up batsmen and got some movement too. Bowled in good areas. Picked up 2 wickets and  should have had the wicket of Bishoo  also.  Impressed with him this series.

Ishant started off in a fiery manner, bowling with pace, bounce and with consistent inswing.  Picked up 2 wickets quickly.  Lost some accuracy later on and got hit for some runs.   Overall, a mixed effort but did look like taking a wicket anytime which is the key in test matches.

Umesh did not bowl much. The pace was good but could have bowled a better line. He was perhaps instructed to bowl continuous bouncers in a couple of overs but should have mixed them up with a couple of pitched up deliveries for better effect. Overall, not a good day for him.

Overall, our bowlers had a good day today with WI dismissed for less than 200.

Edited by express bowling

3rd test vs WI ...2nd day

Speed ranges of  most deliveries ( that I have seen )

Shami  135 k to 145 k

Ishant 135 k to 144 k.

Bhuvi  129 k to 140 k

Shami bowled decently.  He bowled a very probing line at pace in his second spell but the bounce, that he was generating consistently in the first 2 tests, was missing,   This actually  reduced his potency.  An edge off his bowling was dropped by Rahul.

Bhuvi started off well and got some swing at decent pace.  He generally bowled in good areas. But  looked ordinary from his second spell as the swing stopped.  Did not get much bounce when he tried to. and  the 2 bouncers he tried were loopy and declared wides.

Ishant was a mixed bag as usual. His bowled a couple of excellent overs when he got the ball to move away from the left-hander from good length. Bowled a couple of rubbish overs down the leg too. he tried some bouncers near the end, two were good and the batsman almost edged one.  Overall..inconsistent bowling by him.

Our pacers, as a group, did not look as potent as they did in the first 3.5 innings of the two previous tests.

36 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Shami  135 k to 145 k

Ishant 135 k to 144 k.

Bhuvi  129 k to 140 k

Shami bowled decently.  He bowled a very probing line at pace in his second spell but the bounce, that he was generating consistently in the first 2 tests, was missing,   This actually  reduced his potency.  An edge off his bowling was dropped by Rahul.

Bhuvi started off well and got some swing at decent pace.  He generally bowled in good areas. But  looked ordinary from his second spell as the swing stopped.  Did not get much bounce when he tried to. and  the 2 bouncers he tried were loopy and declared wides.

Ishant was a mixed bag as usual. His bowled a couple of excellent overs when he got the ball to move away from the left-hander from good length. Bowled a couple of rubbish overs down the leg too. he tried some bouncers near the end, two were good and the batsman almost edged one.  Overall..inconsistent bowling by him.

I believe Shammi and Ishant were really unlucky...there was a catch dropped by Kl Rahul and few catches just went very close to hands.

Shammi bowled really well.

Ishant also bowled very well in the first Spell and was at most times between 139 to 145k and he was bowling full too- was genuinely UNLUCKY.

BHuvi hardly had his Magical Swing and bowled from 127 to 140 and I believe he should not have played this TEST Match.. Umesh should have played. HIs steady Line n length at 135 to 136k Pace with no swing will not fetch WI wickets.

Kohli took some aggressive Actions which is good but he has to be a bit more Matured.

he should have played Murli Vijay or Pujara ahead of Rohit( who has been failing since AGES in Test).. he should have warned Pujara to play faster or Played Murli Vijay- Kohli got lucky that Ashwin and Saha hit Centuries and saved the day for us.

Even MISHRA also was OK in earlier Tests and could have been played in this test too.

Umesh Yadav is an aggressive fast bowler and He /ishant /Shammi can turn a test match in a spell of 2 overs by taking 3 to 4 wickets.

he did bowl a lil wayward in second test but he is definitely not a TRUNDLER and to favour a TRUNDLER ( bhuvi is still a trundle though he is faster than b4) ahead of a fast bowler is a wrong decision in tests.

22 minutes ago, CG said:

I am okay with Yadav being rested as playing 3 tests back to back is not easy .Shami zip is missing may be he could be used in short spells.

That is maybe Shami's biggest weakness. He usually loses steam even within innings, when he has to bowl a lot of overs. He himself said that he doesn't practice/train much outside of playing cricket. That is something he will need to work on.  

8 minutes ago, Tibarn said:

That is maybe Shami's biggest weakness. He usually loses steam even within innings, when he has to bowl a lot of overs. He himself said that he doesn't practice/train much outside of playing cricket. That is something he will need to work on.  

Shami's  stamina has actually improved after his comeback from injury and he is maintaining pace even during the last spell of the day.

1 minute ago, express bowling said:

Shami's  stamina has actually improved after his comeback from injury and he is maintaining pace even during the last spell of the day.

I agree and his average pace seems higher, but we haven't had a very long bowling innings this series. Even last match, the bowling innings were truncated often by rain, so our bowlers got extra rest. Let's hope he can maintain this trend when there are longer innings. 

11 hours ago, express bowling said:

Shami  135 k to 145 k

Ishant 135 k to 144 k.

Bhuvi  129 k to 140 k

Our pacers, as a group, did not look as potent as they did in the first 3.5 innings of the two previous tests.

Good summary.  But a bit harsh on Bhuvi.  Disappointing that he didn't pick up a wicket.  I expected him to be more unplayable with the new ball - he moved it around but was handled by Braithwaite.  He was moving the ball in his 2nd spell also, beat the bat once, rapped the batsman on the thigh once with a decent shout for leg-before but was a bit high.  His bouncers were way too high because he needed to pitch them fuller on this wicket and didn't.   All in all, he hardly bowled a bad ball - his economy rate of less than 1 shows that.  Demonstrated improvements on the pace front and sustained it well throughout his first spell.  Moved the ball a bit and was tight with the old ball as well.  I know for fans hungry for pace, Bhuvi's not sexy fast enough.  But he's a quality bowler and needs to be utilized - A bowler who can move the ball both ways can win you games.  

1 hour ago, sandeep said:

All in all, he hardly bowled a bad ball - his economy rate of less than 1 shows that.  Demonstrated improvements on the pace front and sustained it well throughout his first spell.  Moved the ball a bit and was tight with the old ball as well.  I know for fans hungry for pace, Bhuvi's not sexy fast enough.  But he's a quality bowler and needs to be utilized - A bowler who can move the ball both ways can win you games.  

Bhuvi rarely bowls a bad ball ever.   His increased pace of 130 k to 140 k is good enough for international cricket. Pace is not a problem....but at that pace a test bowler needs more bounce. More often than not, the ball does not swing in test cricket and then the weapon for seam bowlers become sudden bounce with small seam movement.  Bhuvi wins you games in T20s and in test matches in England and occasionally in ODIs.....not in other places or formats. 

Economy has always been his strong point in any format but he has taken 29 wickets from 12 test matches and  60 wickets from 57 ODIs ....and that indicates difficulty faced to take wickets in these 2 formats.

Look at any pacer bowler  in test cricket.  Provided they have decent accuracy.....they take wickets in different places if they get bounce from some deliveries and don't get wickets when they don't get bounce.  The only exceptions would be test matches in swing-friendly places like England  or if a bowler can reverse the ball at 145 k.