Hardik Pandya : The test allrounder

tweaker

55 minutes ago, jf1gp_1 said:

this guy barely makes it ODI team not sure why he is picked for test. He is best suited for t20 lets keep him there; lets not confuse him by bringing him into test cricket. He is bang-bang dont teach him block-block. 

Lets be perfectly honest, people like him cause he can slog and bowl at 140. Reality is he can only wack domestic spinners and his quicker deliveries like most of his deliveries are directionless.

I see Irfan pathan all over again.

directionless bowler got Man of the match on debut.

Just now, rkt.india said:

directionless bowler got Man of the match on debut.

Rkt I know u like him but do you really think he is a good test bowler?

too raw yes and loads of potential yes but how can you say he will be a good test bowler?

even someone like starc who was a premier odI bowler took a while to get going in tests.

likes of Morris, Faulkner who are leagues better than him as Loi bowlers will never play tests for their side.

yeah he is a good utility Loi cricketer...a must in t20s and should play a lot more Odis but cmon he is only at the right place at the right time...apart from that nothing else going for him

8 minutes ago, maniac said:

Rkt I know u like him but do you really think he is a good test bowler?

too raw yes and loads of potential yes but how can you say he will be a good test bowler?

even someone like starc who was a premier odI bowler took a while to get going in tests.

likes of Morris, Faulkner who are leagues better than him as Loi bowlers will never play tests for their side.

yeah he is a good utility Loi cricketer...a must in t20s and should play a lot more Odis but cmon he is only at the right place at the right time...apart from that nothing else going for him

He might or not might not be, but he is someone who can lend balance to the XI if come good. He is an alrounder and will play as a support seamer in tests whether in India or abroad. He did well in Aus with both bat and ball and was very much as good as Aaron, Shardul in 3 day matches. The thing that is going for him is good performance on A tour against a decent Australia A side.

regarding Morris and Faulkner, they have already played tests. Also, SA and Aus have a lot of pace bowling options. Aus are playing Mitch Marsh as an alrounder. SA are playing only with 4 bowlers since Kallis retired with Duminy filling up a few overs. We need a batting alrounder who can bat at 6 or 7 and bowl 10-15 overs when we go overseas and Pandya can certainly fill that role for us. He has predominantly been a batsman who bowls, not a bowler who can bat. His batting is only going to improve.

Edited by rkt.india
36 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Has Pandya already failed like Yuvraj? Yuvraj played as a pure batsman, Pandya isnt. If he can average 35-35 with both bat and ball in test cricket in long term, he will do his job.

Pandya is yet to find success in t20; he doesnt even have a place in ODI team not sure why is he in test squad. 

Pandya is a changed bowler after the A tour to Australia.

Even in the just concluded ODI series, he has an ER of 5.42, which is good in ODIs these days, especially for a debutant.  I don't know why some posters are calling him directionless. 

The thing which was noticeable in the last ODI series as well as the A tour was.... he has developed a stock delivery -- good length, around off-stump and moving away on occasions -- and is trying to bowl the same delivery for 6 balls....not trying useless variations like a rookie.....this can be a big asset in test matches.

It is obviously possible that he will have bad days and spray on occasions. But, there is sufficient evidence to try him as an all-rounder in every format. 

He is an all-rounder and his role will be slightly different to frontline pacers.

Edited by express bowling
1 hour ago, jf1gp_1 said:

Pandya is yet to find success in t20; he doesnt even have a place in ODI team not sure why is he in test squad. 

so, Was Pujara a success in ODIs and T20s before playing Tests? or likes of Dravid and Ganguly were success in ODIs before playing tests? Ganguly even had a mediocre FC record. How do you conclude he does not have a place in ODIs. As far as I remember, he played 4 out of the 5 ODIs since his debut, only missed last game because we played with 3 spinners on a rank turner. Are you even watching cricket? He was MOM Is first game and and reached very close to winning us the 2nd game with the bat.

Edited by rkt.india

He came in at 40 / 6 and rescued the A team in Australia with 70 odd. I might be right in saying that he outscored Karan Nair for that series? He is a bit lucky because Rohit and Dhawan and Rahul are out, but his inclusion means we can play 3 spinners and get some good overs of new ball bowling. Goo

43 minutes ago, sarchasm said:

Don't see Pandya lending balance to our test XI when we are playing at home. He only finds a place either as the 3rd seamer or one of the two seamers. 3 seam bowlers is surplus to the requirements on Indian pitches. Accommodating him as one of the two pacers would take away the edge off our attack. If has to be two from Shami, Ishant, and Umesh.

Except if its a nice turning track, where you don't really need 2 top-shelf pacers and would want to play 3 spinners, without giving up the batting depth by playing 5 batsmen.  Given the fact that Rohit and Rahul are injured, selecting an unproven debutant in Karun Nair over Pandya is not as much of a no-brainer - especially given the fact that going with Pandya lets you get Mishra into the team as well.  So the choice is -

1.  Nair + (Umesh/Ishant)  with a 4 man bowling attack - Ashwin, Jadeja, Shami, Umesh/Ishant
  2.  Pandya with a 5 man attack -  Ashwin, Jadeja, Mishra, Shami, Pandya. 

On a turner, option 2 is the more attacking one without giving up too much on the batting front.  And as a bonus, we get to see what Pandya can do with the bat with the red ball against a top 4 test team, albeit in favorable home conditions.  

4 hours ago, rkt.india said:

so, Was Pujara a success in ODIs and T20s before playing Tests? or likes of Dravid and Ganguly were success in ODIs before playing tests? Ganguly even had a mediocre FC record. How do you conclude he does not have a place in ODIs. As far as I remember, he played 4 out of the 5 ODIs since his debut, only missed last game because we played with 3 spinners on a rank turner. Are you even watching cricket? He was MOM Is first game and and reached very close to winning us the 2nd game with the bat.

Pujara was hammering double hundreds at will before being picked for test cricket. Don't remember about dravid but gangly i remember being talked about a lot. Pandya does not have a first class 100 and just one 5 wicket haul; even if i am not watching cricket i thought you knew enough about the sport not to compare pandya's selection with that of dravid, pujara....

Yes skill pandya has is what we need and like any other cricket fan even i want him to succeed however i my opinion he just isn't ready for test cricket. 

Edited by jf1gp_1
18 hours ago, jf1gp_1 said:

Pujara was hammering double hundreds at will before being picked for test cricket. Don't remember about dravid but gangly i remember being talked about a lot. Pandya does not have a first class 100 and just one 5 wicket haul; even if i am not watching cricket i thought you knew enough about the sport not to compare pandya's selection with that of dravid, pujara....

Yes skill pandya has is what we need and like any other cricket fan even i want him to succeed however i my opinion he just isn't ready for test cricket. 

You said he isn't established in ODIs so I brought pujara, David and Ganguly who played tests before ODIs too. Regarding their domestic cricket records, David and pujara were good. Ganguly was just average. Regarding pandya's domestic record, we are not looking for a batsman who averages 50 or a bowler who averages 25. We are looking at an alrounder who can average 35 with bat and 35 with with the ball. Pandya can offer us that option especially overseas.

Pandya  hails his Test selection as the proudest moment of his life. Pandya said .“I started playing cricket after watching Test cricket. I grew up watching Test cricket and representing India in whites is every cricketer’s dream. When you get a Test call up, you can’t describe the feeling but it feels amazing now. It is undoubtedly the proudest moment of my life, ” 

.Hardik had a lot to say about Rahul Dravid who was his coach during India A’s tour to Australia this year. He said that he learnt a lot from Dravid and that helped him improve his skill and shape up to be the player he is today.“Those 50 days with Rahul Sir were priceless. I kept asking him about things I needed to do to be a better player and well suited for Test cricket. He just told me one thing - ‘I believe you can play Test cricket provided you become more aware of your game.’

He told me cricket is a situation sport and it was all about reacting and modeling your batting according to the situation.” Pandya said that Rahul Dravid was the one who instilled the confidence in him to get into the Indian Test squad.  “He would always tell me, that people know me for the big shots but I am a much better batsman than just playing big shots. He believed that I had the technique and mental state to stick around for a long innings.”