Best Subcontinent team to win World cup  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Best Subcontinent team to win World cup

• 1983 - India under Kapil Dev
    • 1992 - Pakistan under Imran Khan
    • 1996 - SriLanka under Ranatunga
    • 2011 - India under Dhoni

2 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

Pak 92 would be demolished by Indian 2011 team. With or without bottlecaps, Imran was a spent force in 92. Wasim and Waqar for all their might were not good enough for 2011 team. That too without bottlecaps.

Pak 92 team would be dominated ,brutalized and victimized by the 2011 Indian team, the beating would be so bad that phateechar khan would come out with a cornered mouse t-shirt and apologize to the whole world for even thinking about beating the Indian team in his dream.

2 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

Pak 92 would be demolished by Indian 2011 team. With or without bottlecaps, Imran was a spent force in 92. Wasim and Waqar for all their might were not good enough for 2011 team. That too without bottlecaps.

Waqar didn't play in 92 WC - he was out with a back injury. They had Akram and Aaqib Javed backed up by Mushtaq and part time spin of Aamir Sohail. Definitely not one of the better bowling attacks.

15 hours ago, sandeep said:

Gambo, How about Pak 92 vs 2011 India?  I think its 65-35 India, that Pak team had pretty ordinary batting, and relied on low percentage innings from Inzi to bail them out. 

As you pointed out, their batting lacked firepower and at best could make 270 or so. But if Wasim and Waqar (including him although he was ruled out of the WC) turned it on, not many in the 2011 lineup would be able to cope. All things considered, I would back 2011 India to beat them 60% of the time.

11 hours ago, Ultimate_Game said:

Waqar didn't play in 92 WC - he was out with a back injury. They had Akram and Aaqib Javed backed up by Mushtaq and part time spin of Aamir Sohail. Definitely not one of the better bowling attacks.

Without Waqar, and with Amir Sohail as part time spinner, I think the Indian 2011 team would make mince meat out of the 92 team. And with better cameras and camera angles, Imran and Wasim would have anyways been nullified with their bottlecap techqniques.

5 hours ago, Gambit said:

As you pointed out, their batting lacked firepower and at best could make 270 or so. But if Wasim and Waqar (including him although he was ruled out of the WC) turned it on, not many in the 2011 lineup would be able to cope. All things considered, I would back 2011 India to beat them 60% of the time.

I know it is hypothetical hence , with the 35 over ball change the effectiveness of Waqar and even Akram would have been hugely reduced though in death overs.

On 03/04/2017 at 6:08 PM, Lala said:

I dont know why people hv chosen Ranatunga over Imran. Remember SL was lucky enough they didnt meet AUS and WI in 1st round. So it was a lucky tournament for them unlike talent. here but PAK won in outside subcontinent. It was a harder torney compare to 96 I guess.

They completely dwarfed Aussies when they met. They were team of series. While most talk about Kalu and Jayasurya powerplay, but for me, its their spin bowling which complimented it, no one could figure out how to play against their spin attack. IIRC, everyone in their side was a spinner. They could just change the attack at will. Dsilva JayaSurya Murali Kalu, Vaas,, Ranatunga deservedly won the trophy.

Only team, i watched in action and better than them, in terms of rest of the teams in series was 2003 Aussie team. India in England was a combination of some gritty performance and little luck. On paper, Pakistan is worst side to have won a world cup. in the tournament, there was S Africa, England, Australia who wiould have beaten that Pakistani side most other day. Both India and Kiwis were equal, if not better side.

SL 1996 - They just revolutionized the art of batting in the first 15 overs.Basically, the bowlers were terrified by Jayasuriya and Kalu.

I remember both Defrietas and Prabhakar being reduced to bowling offspin.SL played such a fearless brand of cricket during that WC.Even Mahanama and Gurusinghe , who were considered tame by LOI standards were scoring really quick.Aravinda and Ranatunga were both in great form.I made a bet with my friends that SL would be winning the WC and they laughed at me .This was after they lost the ill-tempered series in Australia and Ranatunga basically supported his team mates.The steel was there for all to see and they proved in in the next couple of months.

India 2011 almost lost against England,lost against SA,were less than impressive against the minnows.

2 hours ago, Yoda-esque said:

SL 1996 - They just revolutionized the art of batting in the first 15 overs.Basically, the bowlers were terrified by Jayasuriya and Kalu.

I remember both Defrietas and Prabhakar being reduced to bowling offspin.SL played such a fearless brand of cricket during that WC.Even Mahanama and Gurusinghe , who were considered tame by LOI standards were scoring really quick.Aravinda and Ranatunga were both in great form.I made a bet with my friends that SL would be winning the WC and they laughed at me .This was after they lost the ill-tempered series in Australia and Ranatunga basically supported his team mates.The steel was there for all to see and they proved in in the next couple of months.

India 2011 almost lost against England,lost against SA,were less than impressive against the minnows.

But SL 96 was a team built to win on the subcontinent.  Doubt they would even be competitive in England, Australia or South Africa.  2011 India was good enough on both sides of the ball to be in the mix.  

On 4/2/2017 at 7:08 AM, BeautifulGame said:

That was when our form was awful .We had just scrapped past Holland.

The final was after 9 consecutive wins .We had the tournament top scorer who thrives in setting target and the best player in the world then.

And this was a world Cup final were 6 of the previous seven winners batted first.

It was just a moronic decision .

Pathetic to bowl first but don't know how decisions were taken back then, whether it was captain's decison to decide to bowl first or whether it was a push from the management to bat first. 

Usually if a a team loses a game, blame shouldn't go to captain based on him deciding to bat or bowl first, but here regardless of the result, if it was Ganguly's decision to bowl first, it was just pathetic and childish and very unlike his character which is displayed and hyped by fans and media still about how he was a brave captain. As you pointed out, after a great run in world cup since the game against Pakistan, we had the momentum and shouldn't have been reluctant to bat first in the biggest match of our life then. 

1 hour ago, Cricketics said:

Pathetic to bowl first but don't know how decisions were taken back then, whether it was captain's decison to decide to bowl first or whether it was a push from the management to bat first. 

Usually if a a team loses a game, blame shouldn't go to captain based on him deciding to bat or bowl first, but here regardless of the result, if it was Ganguly's decision to bowl first, it was just pathetic and childish and very unlike his character which is displayed and hyped by fans and media still about how he was a brave captain. As you pointed out, after a great run in world cup since the game against Pakistan, we had the momentum and shouldn't have been reluctant to bat first in the biggest match of our life then. 

I have bashed Gangu for his poor captaincy and tactics a lot in the past.  But I don't blame him too much for this one.  You have to remember that we lost that league game very badly against Oz with a bit of movement in the air.  Even on the finals game, 1s hour there was something available for the bowlers.  Gangu went with the "safe" choice.  The wrong one, but one with a logical argument behind it.

27 minutes ago, sandeep said:

But SL 96 was a team built to win on the subcontinent.  Doubt they would even be competitive in England, Australia or South Africa.  2011 India was good enough on both sides of the ball to be in the mix.  

Not really, SL won matches against Australia and WI in the B&H cup a month earlier.They lost both finals to Australia but the first final was a close affair with the Aussie crowd booing Murali and Darrell Hair calling out Murali for No balls.

After that , they proceeded to defeat Pak at Sharjah,India 3-0 in a home series,won against SA at Nairobi and had a win against NZ in NZ.

And who can forget that series in Singapore where Jayasuriya was in stupendous form.I think he hit 75 runs in 25 balls or something.

3 minutes ago, sandeep said:

I have bashed Gangu for his poor captaincy and tactics a lot in the past.  But I don't blame him too much for this one.  You have to remember that we lost that league game very badly against Oz with a bit of movement in the air.  Even on the finals game, 1s hour there was something available for the bowlers.  Gangu went with the "safe" choice.  The wrong one, but one with a logical argument behind it.

Ya but this is where it is wrong, we shouldn't go by how we played against Australia a month ago. We were playing pathetic cricket then as we had just just come out of NZ tour if you remember where we struggled to put on runs and later even performer badly against Zim, Netherlands too. But ever since we played Pakistan, things changed and we were not depending on any player, even in semis when we lost early wickets against Kenya, or against NZ, our middle order helped us win easily. 

We were batting well and had the momentum and should have opted to bat in the big final instead of waiting to chase under lights. 

On 4/4/2017 at 10:16 AM, Rightarmfast said:

Waqar did not play that cup, 92 Pakistan team had two great players Akram and Miandad. Inzi was not the force yet and Imran was bowling dollies. I don't think Imran would have been selected to play for any other team then. He batted no3 and it is good fortune that they won because he had done everything in his power to ruin their chances by his ridiculous batting even for  1992 standards.

On 4/5/2017 at 1:12 PM, Cricketics said:

Ya but this is where it is wrong, we shouldn't go by how we played against Australia a month ago. We were playing pathetic cricket then as we had just just come out of NZ tour if you remember where we struggled to put on runs and later even performer badly against Zim, Netherlands too. But ever since we played Pakistan, things changed and we were not depending on any player, even in semis when we lost early wickets against Kenya, or against NZ, our middle order helped us win easily. 

We were batting well and had the momentum and should have opted to bat in the big final instead of waiting to chase under lights. 

They got mentally beaten by 350 and Sachin had no business of attacking from word go, he had all the time in world to get settled and then start accelerating. But I think team got overwhelmed by the score.

51 minutes ago, putrevus said:

They got mentally beaten by 350 and Sachin had no business of attacking from word go, he had all the time in world to get settled and then start accelerating. But I think team got overwhelmed by the score.

Exactly, we were overwhelmed at the half time to see such pounding of our bowlers. Should have relaxed and play normal like Sehwag and Dravid did.

Ganguly was wrong in not choosing to bat first but that said, the blame should not go on to the captaincy for the defeat. We were just pathetic that day, thats about it.