Karnataka appoints panel to design ‘state flag’, look into legal sanctity

BeautifulGame

I didn't say any such things. Even without Hindi it's still possible to co-exist like we have been doing all these years. Just that don't expect us/support to learn Hindi if you are not willing to learn other languages. 

No one is asking you to learn hindi...read my post again. On the comtrary South Indians are forcing people to learn their language. How is having sign boards in 3 languages is forcing you to learn hindi? Isnt it the opposite, that people who dnt understand Kannada or English, you are imposing a language on them? Dnt be stupid now...you are simply ranting without addressing the core issue.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

51 minutes ago, rageaddict said:

In North India,  

First Preference ( Regional Language) 

Second Preference (  Hindi - Language opted by Northies) 

Third Preference ( English - Language opted by Southie) 

Shouldn't it be our regional language? :whack3:

Let's just say Hindi is your regional language and we, the people of Karnataka, demand you to learn Kannada as your third language. 

30 minutes ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

On the comtrary South Indians are forcing people to learn their language.

Now you are the one acting stupid. You guys need to sort out your pathetic attitude, first, towards other cultures and languages and try not to speak lies. 

35 minutes ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

How is having sign boards in 3 languages is forcing you to learn hindi?

Did you even read my post? I was talking about how we had to learn Hindi in our schools while you get the free pass. 

Just now, Lannister said:

Now you are the one acting stupid. You guys need to sort out your pathetic attitude, first, towards other cultures and languages and try not to speak lies. 

Did you even read my post? I was talking about how we had to learn Hindi in our schools while you get the free pass. 

Hindi is toughest subject and least scoring subject in North India. Specially if Hindi is taken as first language. Ask anyone who did gcse with Hindi as language. English and Sanskrit is preferred.

Who are you that you referring to? Bhai hindi is not my mother tongue either. It was as tough for me to learn as it was perhaps for you. And as far as I know no college/school in South India mandate you to learn hindi. I have many frnds from South. English is the main language and 2nd language is a choice between Kannada, Hindi or Sanskrit.

15 minutes ago, mishra said:

Hindi is toughest subject and least scoring subject in North India. Specially if Hindi is taken as first language. Ask anyone who did gcse with Hindi as language. English and Sanskrit is preferred.

Kannada, English and Sanskrit are the most preferred languages here. I will not be surprised if they completely drop Hindi from the curriculum and that's totally fine. 

11 minutes ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

Who are you that you referring to? Bhai hindi is not my mother tongue either. It was as tough for me to learn as it was perhaps for you. And as far as I know no college/school in South India mandate you to learn hindi. I have many frnds from South. English is the main language and 2nd language is a choice between Kannada, Hindi or Sanskrit.

No, Hindi is still a mandatory subject from class one to seventh. But I guess they will be changing that rule very time soon. 

No, Hindi is still a mandatory subject from class one to seventh. But I guess they will be changing that rule very time soon. 

Ofcourse that rule needs to be changed if its true. Even in other states in India like Bengal...Hindi is not mandatory in schools.

13 minutes ago, Lannister said:

Good,  but First Start by removing Hindi from Namma Metro Stations. One Step at a time. 

1 hour ago, Lannister said:

The reason they have included English is keeping in mind that there are majority of people who don't even speak Hindi. We have decided our official language based on our convenience and our education system.

It's good for you that you have accepted Hindi, but we will decide what's best for our state.  

And who are these listeners?  

There should be no problem in adding Hindi, which is I am repeating one of the two official union govt languages 

You can decide for your state. The center will decide what should be included for the rest of the country so we would have national level languages besides local languages (decided by your state) 

People like me, who have hard time in understanding Eng spoken by many in Ind. For e.g. many people refer to career (ka-re-year / ke rir) as carrier (a person or thing that carries) 

Edited by zen

2 hours ago, ladybouvier said:

All of the states you've mentioned have languages which are very closely related to Hindi, either by script or by speech. That is perhaps one of the reasons Hindi is quite easy to pick up for North Indians. In the south however, it's an entirely different language family. There are no intricate similarities between Hindi and say, Tamil, whereas Hindi and Marathi use the same script and share a lot of common vocabulary. Logically, it is much easier for Marathis to pick up Hindi than it is for South Indians.

The languages that you mentioned could be close. But Hindi is closer to Indian languages than Eng, which many in South prefer 

This is happening at a cost. You can virtually survive anywhere in Bombay with just Hindi. Pretty soon, there won't any relevance for Marathi there and everyone will be speaking either Hindi or English. And for some reason, they don't seem to care about their language dying. Kannadigas became woke at least now and are trying to preserve Kannada by eliminating Hindi imposition. You never know, Marathis may  follow their lead in future.

If that logic were to be extended, all linga franca languages should not be learned. And the communication system would break

In my family, people speak all or a combination of languages from Gujarati, Hindi, Punjabi, English and French. And are encouraged to learn more languages if time permits

Edited by zen

8 minutes ago, Lannister said:

It's thanks to you guys, we will finally be able to get rid of this parasite. Plz do impose more Hindi on us. :phehe:

http://m.indiatoday.in/story/karnataka-rakshana-vedike-hindi-signboards-namma-metro-stations/1/1006701.html

Yeah but please take care of your safety too. Don't get too carried away with  painting Hindi signboards.

Your own Police is giving  a Danda to you guys to preserve the imposition. LOL. 

Edited by rageaddict

The issue is even on milestones in TN(Probably in other south Indian states as well), they replaced English with Hindi and in some cases had just Hindi instead of all the three languages. This indicates the intent of the central government or whoever responsible and hence the backlash is justified.

3 hours ago, sandeep said:

I can understand if its country bumpkins who are impressionable and fall for that kind of silly logic.  But @coffee_rules has been around for a while on ICF, he's not an idiot.  So him spouting this kind of silly regional nonsense didn't make sense to me.  

Hindi's not my native tongue either, but what's really the big deal in accepting it along with English as the other interstate language?   

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that as long as Kannada is not pushed to complete irrelevance . 

1 minute ago, jusarrived said:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that as long as Kannada is not pushed to complete irrelevance . 

How does including the national language on a signboard push Kannada to "irrelevance"?   Given Banglaore's evolution as a true metropolis, and a resulting population boom in non-kannada speakers, it just makes sense.   Why so defensive?  

6 hours ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

Must admit with all the IT boom and MNCs, Bangalore may have developed as a city but the mentality of people has not changed. Bangalore like Mumbai/Delhi is a cosmopolitan city. So its obvious, people from all over the country to come there for job, family, tourism or pleasure. Its not anybody's personal property. They are there on their individual right being an Indian and no one can or should force them to learn Kannada if they don't want to. Bangalore is no rural village where only local people resides.

No one is forcing you to speak in hindi, its your personal matter. Similarly, you cannot expect all North Indians to speak or embrace Kannada language. Its their personal choice too, correct na?

There are thousands and thousands of South Indians live in UK. In fact there are many Telugu/Kannada samithis here where members meet up, organize puja's, celebrate festivals etc. I think its a fantastic gesture. But the hypocrisy is, you want to embrace your culture when living overseas but want North Indians to learn Kannada moment they start living in Bangalore. LOL.

Tell me once incident you heard in Delhi/Chandigarh/Kolkata etc. where Southern people are treated unfairly. We take pride in them. But I can give ample examples of unfair treatment towards North Indians. In 2012, North Eastern people being beaten up and made to flee the city. There was no BJP govt back then. There are pubs in Bangalore where African students are not allowed. And now they are removing hindi sign boards from metro. How low can one get?I can understand if someone replace their local language with Hindi that is an issue. But what is the harm of having 3 language sign boards? All railway signboards in North India has Eng, Hindi and Urdu. All signboards in Bengal (my home state) has Eng, Bengali and Hindi. Why cant you guys have 3 languages? This is beyond silly and borderline racism.

Also, you can cry loud as much as you want that Hindi is not our national language but no one can deny its the most spoken language in India. Even our constitution is written in Eng and Hindi. So the argument of why Delhi metro don't have Kannada signboards is silly. I can also argue why there are no Bengali signboards, Gujratis would want Gujju signboards...so on and so forth. This is plain stupid.

Another failed effort by Congress. Any state where Congress is ruling is progressing in India?

The sign broad controversy is all political , this not a demand form general public and doubt any one cares about it , but there still a language issue and no hypocrisy in that .

I have a half a dozen north Indians in my family , 2 of them who have only lived in Bangalore for 4-5 years and can speak Kannada and one of them who stayed here for 15+ years but cant speak a word . Not every one can learn a new language easily , some just dont take that interest which is all ok . I could barely speak few words of Marathi in spite a living in Mumbai for 10 years . 

No one expects NI's to come and learn Kannada in a few days or they are ever expected to learn if they dont feel the need to . off course its their choice , but living in Bangalore you cannot demand the locals also speak in Hindi , while most locals do speak Hindi willingly you should not have a problem with a small section who dont speak Hindi or dont choose to , respect their choice too . 

My wife attended an interview in Flipkart 2 years back for an HR position and one of the questions which was asked was "Do you speak Hindi?" , when she responded she could manage the lady stressed that since most of the team speaks in Hindi and the people who she will work with are all Hindi speaking she would find it difficult to cope up . She was never offered , the reason may be different but clearly thats one of the criterias ? 

its cos of such experiences we are gradually seeing an anti-hindi wave . 

Sorry but some of the points you are making are nonsense .

Do you know who and why North east guys where targeted in Bangalore? 

As for Blacks being not allowed in some Pubs in Bangalore , lets not get carried away with what the media reports about these guys ..its well known that most of them are involved in shady stuffs and are generally they are big nuisance , not cos they are "black" . There are pubs in Kaamanhalli where only Blacks are allowed . 

46 minutes ago, sandeep said:

How does including the national language on a signboard push Kannada to "irrelevance"?   Given Banglaore's evolution as a true metropolis, and a resulting population boom in non-kannada speakers, it just makes sense.   Why so defensive?  

Like I said , the signboard thing is political , it means nothing ..but the larger language issue is what a lot of people can relate to and this is exactly what congress is trying to exploit here . 

54 minutes ago, sandeep said:

This is something I posted couple of weeks back and sort of things I have issues with . And it looks like they have got rid off the security guy , I see some NE guys guarding now .  if thats true and I take this up again am not going to be very popular lol

I picked up an new apartment , which is getting ready to move in and all owners are part of a watsapp group . They have just 3-4 security guards now since only 1-2 families have moved in and the discussion was about lack of security . I see after a while we have couple of guys complaining about these guys not being able to speak Hindi and demanding getting rid of them . I had to intervene and at my diplomatic best said its unreasonable to expect these guys who come from remote areas to speak Hindi and its not fair to kick them out cos of that . Assuming since I was a local , some of them now started suggesting we need to get a guys who could speak Kannada and Hindi ? 

I had to clarify again , I dont really care weather the guy is a Kannada , Hindi , my first issue is we will not throw some one out cos he cannot speak a certain language . if the argument is that we have lot of NI residents who speak only Hindi , then what about Tamil guys who do not understand Hindi ? Not surprisingly expect for one guy who seemed sensible no else got my point . I will bet this uneducated guard will learn few words of Hindi in next couple of months , but some of our educated brothers from north after having lived here for more than a decade let alone learning a few words cannot tolerate a local guy speaking his language . 

in the end I know I look like a anti-hindi local in Bangalore , but I will keep making it clear to people who do not understand . 

4 minutes ago, jusarrived said:

This is something I posted couple of weeks back and sort of things I have issues with . And it looks like they have got rid off the security guy , I see some NE guys guarding now .  if thats true and I take this up again am not going to be very popular lol

I picked up an new apartment , which is getting ready to move in and all owners are part of a watsapp group . They have just 3-4 security guards now since only 1-2 families have moved in and the discussion was about lack of security . I see after a while we have couple of guys complaining about these guys not being able to speak Hindi and demanding getting rid of them . I had to intervene and at my diplomatic best said its unreasonable to expect these guys who come from remote areas to speak Hindi and its not fair to kick them out cos of that . Assuming since I was a local , some of them now started suggesting we need to get a guys who could speak Kannada and Hindi ? 

I had to clarify again , I dont really care weather the guy is a Kannada , Hindi , my first issue is we will not throw some one out cos he cannot speak a certain language . if the argument is that we have lot of NI residents who speak only Hindi , then what about Tamil guys who do not understand Hindi ? Not surprisingly expect for one guy who seemed sensible no else got my point . I will bet this uneducated guard will learn few words of Hindi in next couple of months , but some of our educated brothers from north after having lived here for more than a decade let alone learning a few words cannot tolerate a local guy speaking his language . 

in the end I know I look like a anti-hindi local in Bangalore , but I will keep making it clear to people who do not understand . 

This is anecdotal.  And wrong btw.  I agree with your assertion that a local should not be losing his job because of this.    But 2 wrongs don't make a right.  Never have.